What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 NRL Jersey and Sponsorship Discussion pt 2

100%green

Juniors
those comic jerseys were exactly that -comical

they may have been done "well" but they were atrocious to see on a supposedly professional sports competition. that canberra setup was f**king awful

Same could be said of the games fans!

Hard to argue the numbers and popularity of these jerseys.

But hey let's just all bitch that Rugby League isn't exactly the same as it was in the past while we argue that the game isn't thinking outside the box and trying to grow the game.

*Screams and waves fist at the sky*

100%green is right. Any publicity is good publicity. I recant.

195810-john-hopoate.jpg

29WIL_RAPE.jpg

149002-drugs-in-nrl.gif

150px-Super_League_(Australia)_Logo.jpg

article-2673608-1F3B2A0000000578-249_634x472.jpg

Last edited:

Lambretta

First Grade
It was a reasonable idea poorly executed

Parra should have been Wolverine. The colours were plain wrong on Manly

The Dragons and Roosters both looked fairly decent and the colours matched the teams by and large

The Cowboys one with the red cape looked weird. Canberras one with all that white and the mauve shorts just looked off. The definitely had the green but there needed to be more green and change the shorts.

A little more forethought and this could have been a success. As it was it was a Mish mash

100%green

Juniors
100%green is right. Any publicity is good publicity. I recant.

195810-john-hopoate.jpg

29WIL_RAPE.jpg

149002-drugs-in-nrl.gif

150px-Super_League_(Australia)_Logo.jpg

article-2673608-1F3B2A0000000578-249_634x472.jpg

You must be proud mate, you can use Google images. Good for you.

As I have said time and again everyone is entitled to their opinion but just cause a handful of people on here don't happen to like these jerseys doesn't mean those who do have to suffer. There are a few on here that are blind to the positives this promotion had.

100%green

Juniors

The Dragons and Roosters both looked fairly decent and the colours matched the teams by and large

The Cowboys one with the red cape looked weird. Canberras one with all that white and the mauve shorts just looked off. The definitely had the green but there needed to be more green and change the shorts.

A little more forethought and this could have been a success. As it was it was a Mish mash

I had no issues with any of the Jerseys. The colours of Manly's jersey was the same as the character in the comics and one of their biggest supporters played that character in the movies so that was the link and I am fine with it. Teams have worn different colours before for promotions and this won't be the last. All the rest were great I thought.

As I have said time and again everyone is entitled to their opinion but just cause a handful of people on here don't happen to like these jerseys doesn't mean those who do have to suffer. There are a few on here that are blind to the positives this promotion had.

Condescension doesn't actually absolve you from addressing the point being made.

I am in no way blind to the positives, which as far as they can be quantified are short term publicity and and a short term boost in jersey sales. There doesn't appear to be a long term benefit, especially in the context of clubs that soon will have their "special event" jersey as the standard home jersey: it will be a special event to see it!

The long term detriment is that it adds to the perception of the NRL as a cheap and tacky competition. Yes, I used images to conflate the points that short term publicity and a poor public image do not lead to the sort of public standing that the game deserves and that we, the followers, desire. It was more visually interesting and perhaps less didactic than a dry paragraph like this.

I am sorry if it is making you suffer to disagree with you. I hope your threshold to physical pain isn't as low as the threshold to emotional torment that you have just highlighted.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade

I was quite opposed to it before, but after watching the only one that really annoyed me was Manly. If they can get something close to usual team colours, and restrict it to one weekend a season I am totally fine with it.

It really works better when both teams are wearing them though. Looked silly with only one team.

I was quite opposed to it before, but after watching the only one that really annoyed me was Manly. If they can get something close to usual team colours, and restrict it to one weekend a season I am totally fine with it.

It really works better when both teams are wearing them though. Looked silly with only one team.

Why was that anyway, are there not enough Marvel super heroes?

supercharger

Juniors
chicago-bulls-st-patricks-day-jerseys.jpg

Is that a double chevron around the neck..?:sarcasm:

All jokes aside, the NBA is pushing the transition from singlets to T's despite MAJORITY opposition from the fans. Why upset the fans? More rent-able space for planned allowance of sponsored jerseys.

While we complain about walking billboards that are NRL jerseys, won't be a long until even the big american sports have sold themselves.

I'm not happy with the prospect and I don't want to see it, especially in baseball and hockey, but with the NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL each having aggressive revenue goals it's inevitable that they will seek out every available source of money - which will include jerseys.
I'd say its a lock for the association and we'll see it quite soon. they've already moved jerry to the back of the uniform. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzzfydxAn2A
Jersey sponsorship has been a part of the CFL since the late 90's and I think I could live with it in the NFL, but It's something that would be easier for newer franchises like OKC to sell to their fans than it would be for the likes of the Lakers or the Celtics though.

100%green

Juniors
Condescension doesn't actually absolve you from addressing the point being made.

I am in no way blind to the positives, which as far as they can be quantified are short term publicity and and a short term boost in jersey sales. There doesn't appear to be a long term benefit, especially in the context of clubs that soon will have their "special event" jersey as the standard home jersey: it will be a special event to see it!

The long term detriment is that it adds to the perception of the NRL as a cheap and tacky competition. Yes, I used images to conflate the points that short term publicity and a poor public image do not lead to the sort of public standing that the game deserves and that we, the followers, desire. It was more visually interesting and perhaps less didactic than a dry paragraph like this.

I am sorry if it is making you suffer to disagree with you. I hope your threshold to physical pain isn't as low as the threshold to emotional torment that you have just highlighted.

I'm condescending!!! That's rich.

I think you may very well be blind to it. I am in no way saying we should get rid mostly using Home and Away jerseys which so many who are debating these seem to this is going to happen, but having the interest and exposure that this weekend generated and having the sales these jerseys had it certainly something that should not be ignored.

I don't know who has this perception that you are speaking of bar a few people on here that seem to want one and only one jersey per team every year that never changes. If half the garbage in your pictures didn't happen on a regular basis perhaps the game wouldn't need to have these jerseys or maybe it just says more about how appealing the NRL is that companies want to jump on board with teams.

The rest of the dribble you have had to make me endure is just that...dribble.

100%green

Juniors
Good to see us making a global impact with the whole Marvel thing. This will bring rugby league to the most unexpected corners of the globe far more quickly than Ribot would've dreamed of.

http://shop.marvel.com/

Is there a point to this?

And just while we are on this promotion:

Americans asked to mirror NRL promotion
The Marvel Comics promotion gets the thumbs up from Set Of Six. Comic book website bamsmackpow.com breathlessly raved: ??Can we see something like this in America soon please? NBA, MLS ... anyone??? Comicbook.com urged readers to ??check your local cable provider?? for matches. Sydney Roosters versus St George Illawarra looked like a colourised 1950s serial at times and, of course, Nate Myles got into the spirit by referring to Ashton Sims as ??Thor??. One quibble from us ? let?s keep the colours in keeping with the club in future. Manly was a bridge too far in more than one sense.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-nsw-noshow-20140803-zzyhf.html#ixzz39NsDzfPi

Not to mention the NRL has advised that there has been around 20,000 jerseys sold. The Raiders one sold extremely well which is a huge effort considering their position this year. In a congested sporting market I for one am happy with the results.

POPEYE

Coach
Raiders v Warriors looked like a bunch of grapes fallen into a tar pit, the jerseys may well look alright down the pub but wearing the shorts would be tantamount to turning a glass upside down

LeagueNut

First Grade
Probably a silly question, but why were the Raiders in purple shorts? Did the Hulk like the colour purple too??

I'm condescending!!! That's rich.

'nuff said!

I don't know who has this perception that you are speaking of bar a few people on here that seem to want one and only one jersey per team every year that never changes. If half the garbage in your pictures didn't happen on a regular basis perhaps the game wouldn't need to have these jerseys or maybe it just says more about how appealing the NRL is that companies want to jump on board with teams.

That garbage does keep going on. The Bubbler, anyone? The fact is the game can be a stinking mess off the field. There is no need to make it look like one on the field. Who has the perception that it is a joke? Do you read the papers? Do you listen to the radio? Do you talk to a cross section of people in society-at-large? Plenty of people do. Alternatively, if you are trapped in the echo chamber of concurring views that can be one's news feed, maybe you don't read/hear people with different points of view.

Americans asked to mirror NRL promotion
The Marvel Comics promotion gets the thumbs up from Set Of Six. Comic book website bamsmackpow.com breathlessly raved: ‘‘Can we see something like this in America soon please? NBA, MLS ... anyone?’’ Comicbook.com urged readers to ‘‘check your local cable provider’’ for matches. Sydney Roosters versus St George Illawarra looked like a colourised 1950s serial at times and, of course, Nate Myles got into the spirit by referring to Ashton Sims as ‘‘Thor’’. One quibble from us – let’s keep the colours in keeping with the club in future. Manly was a bridge too far in more than one sense.

Well, thanks for putting me in my place. The good people at bamsmackpow.com want to see more comic book jerseys, so it must be good. That's the problem with having postmodernism embedded in the English curriculum. Everyone grows up (presumably...) thinking that all viewpoints are equal without assessing them.

You wouldn't have to fire off too many neurons to work out why bamsmackpow.com would like more comic book jerseys. If we had mass executions depicted on NRL jerseys, would you quote breathless ravings from ISIS saying, "Yeah, we need to see more of this".

Anyway. All the trappings of postmodern relativism without any of the rigour.

Not to mention the NRL has advised that there has been around 20,000 jerseys sold. The Raiders one sold extremely well which is a huge effort considering their position this year. In a congested sporting market I for one am happy with the results.

Indeed they did. Indeed, I mentioned that above, although you dismissed is as dribble until you saw fit to restate the fact as your own. And I maintain that this is short term gain at the expense of long term reputational damage. You beg to differ. Fair enough. You and the grown adults at bamsmackpow.com are entitled to hold a different view. Everything is relative, after all.

Last edited:

Nuke

Staff member
The hulk wears purple denim cutoffs, hence the purple shorts I suppose

Yes, it seems Hulk does wear purple shorts (buggered if I know for sure ... I haven't read a comic book since I was about 15!), as they made sure to include it on the bottom of the jerseys (see below).

25494-canberra-raiders-2014-kids-hulk-jersey-740.jpg

I didn't see the game, however I can imagine doing this would make the Canberra players look like a bunch of Harry Highpants!!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Why the f**k didn't brisbane just wear their home jersey???
Because a fair portion of BOTH of Brisbane's jerseys are gold themselves... therefore a clash comes into play. White made perfect sense and contrasted well. Simples.

Dear f**king lord you are the absolute opposite of the Voice of Reason. You are egotistical, self-important beyond belief and think your opinion on this issue at least is in the vast majority...

Sadly for those who access footy outside this forum by, you know, attending, talking to people, interacting on social media etc... it's a great initiative. Casual observers paid attention. AFL fans in Melbourne caught wind of it, and in general conversation were even somewhat jealous. Fans of OTHER NRL clubs were like "I'd buy that purely because I love (x superhero).

Mock anecdotal evidence all you like, belittle the evidence 100%green provided about interest overseas... fine - but don't for a minute think the diehards on here who are disgusted or upset by this are in any way shape or form representative of widespread opinion.