What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 NRL Jersey and Sponsorship Discussion pt 2

beave

Coach
attachment.php

Cowboys sleeve sponsor for next year............ Sigh.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I agree, I wanted to hate it, but it looked great

Newcastle have always struggled for an alternate jersey. Most of their white jerseys have looked so bland, the red one from 10 years ago was vomit. Their current one to be honest probably has too much blue, hence was a clash vs parra.

I vote Newcastle do a panthers and adopt this radically different kit as their permanent alternate jersey. Suits the town

Totally agree...

They would just need to like the two designs to create an overall club image. It wouldnt need to be much, but just enough to justify the dramatic change. Eg:

- For their main, make the collar, sleeve/waste trimming, numbers this hi-vis orange (a nice reference to the Henny Penny look aswell).

- For the hi-vis, some kind of minor 'red and blue' design added. i dont know exactly how this could be done, but it couldnt be too hard. (collar, sleeve/waste trimming, numbers done in some red/blue bars combination.)

Saint Doc

Coach
Thanks for agreeing, but I disagree with what you've said!!!

I don't see why you would need to do that.

Look at premier league, English super league, A-league, the New Zealand warriors/penrith/Brisbane (pre-yellow away jersey)

Plenty of clubs have a completely different set of jerseys.

It looked great. Just adopt it "as is"

Version 6

Staff member
Really?

Both sides were complicit in the "war"... are Newcastle (premiers of the same season) not doing the same by permanently wearing that season's jersey? :lol:

Congratulations on typing the stupidest post ever.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Thanks for agreeing, but I disagree with what you've said!!!

Look at premier league, English super league, A-league, the New Zealand warriors/penrith/Brisbane (pre-yellow away jersey)

Plenty of clubs have a completely different set of jerseys.

Considering only the main and 'clash' jerseys, in all of Australian sport, Panthers are the only team i can think of that does this; and, to be fair, this is probably a transitioning year brand-wise for them...

Without some kind of link between the jerseys and the core brand, the clubs image just becomes stilted.

You hear all the time about people that flick on the tv am dont recognise the teams because of of the weird jerseys theyre in; if the knights are to use this 'miners' jersey as their alternate, they with have to claim the 'hi-vis orange' as a club colour (even if its just a minor one, as yellow was during the Henny Penny days)

Making the numbers this colour is the fastest way, but, if your deadset on keeping the jerseys as they are, it would require adding the 'hi-vi orange' to the logo; "Knights" written in the orange and the logo put agains a solid blue shield.

knights_logo_keyline_12.jpg

Edit: so basically this...

knightora411_-60.png

(but in the hi-vis orange, and not done on Paint...)

It looked great. Just adopt it "as is"

More than anything else in this world, i hate conservatives...

The idea that "we COULD f*ck something up if we tried to change it, so we should just be happy with the way it is now" is a terrible way to look at anything...

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Sharks announce Labour Health as their FOJ sponsor for the rest of the year - Beau produced the jersey on The Footy Show tonight.

My mockup
2014teams-cro.png

hellteam

First Grade
It will be slapped on in a big ugly white sticker, no doubt too big to fit in the white space

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Seemed to fit in the white space when Beau held it up

PoWdErFiNgEr84

Juniors
It's probably because it's the Nine game on Sunday and will get maximum exposure.

It's a sponsorship deal with NSW Mining. They are paying the club to wear that jersey twice a yr for the nxt 2 yrs. I personally hate the jersey & think it's a joke as it would be like one of the Hinter valley wineries paying the club to wear a grape jeresy for 2 games a yr.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Is there a reason Manly are wearing their heritage jersey AGAIN?!?!?

Do they just not like their away jersey or are they doing a 'Newcastle' and bringing back the old look permanently?

ShaneO85

Juniors
Is there a reason Manly are wearing their heritage jersey AGAIN?!?!?

Do they just not like their away jersey or are they doing a 'Newcastle' and bringing back the old look permanently?

why not? it is one of the better throwbacks going around and it is clearly a manly jersey. they should use it as often as they like. I prefer it to their away kit.

axl rose

Bench
why not? it is one of the better throwbacks going around and it is clearly a manly jersey. they should use it as often as they like. I prefer it to their away kit.

That Pepsi billboard jersey was a great era for Manly but I still wish they would go back to the hoops.

Dogs and Parra seem to have gone back to tradition with jersey design and logo (when not wearing some themed rubbish). Come on Manly, you cant tell me the maroon with white hoops wouldn't sell better then this vee design. Let fans vote on the website or something.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Oh, no doubt its better than their current set...

The best Home/Away combination would be:

manly_sea_eagles_1987_retro_jersey.jpg

manly_sea_eagles_1996_retro_jersey.jpg

Its just something they need to commit to over years (or decades) to to properly (re)build their brand.

If its just an idea someone had then its forgotten about next season, its a terrible look...

ShaneO85

Juniors
i like manly's pepsi and community/big eagle jerseys this year... i think the hoops on marooon and the hoops on white should be their standard strips and intersperse the pepsi and big eagle designs for various fixtures each year.... they could even tweak the eagle jersey each time to keep it fresh...

axl rose

Bench
Oh, no doubt its better than their current set...

Its just something they need to commit to over years (or decades) to to properly (re)build their brand.

If its just an idea someone had then its forgotten about next season, its a terrible look...

Always liked the reverse/away as well

2qa4wlj.jpg

kdalymc

Bench
Yeah at least the away didn't have the silly odd sleeve.

And in regards it the red/blue stripes, I think it was a Pepsi thing, so they had to reverse it now. Would be awesome to get Pepsi just to sponsor this strip again :)

axl rose

Bench
Yeah at least the away didn't have the silly odd sleeve.

And in regards it the red/blue stripes, I think it was a Pepsi thing, so they had to reverse it now. Would be awesome to get Pepsi just to sponsor this strip again :)

Remember Manly won the Coca Cola World Sevens in their Pepsi billboard jersey. Coke were none to happy with the presentation ceremony.

Latest posts