What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 NRL Jersey and Sponsorship Discussion pt 2

100%green

Juniors
Wow your all a short sighted miserable bunch aren't you.

I'm keen as to see what these look like. Said it before and I'll say it again clubs need the $$$ and selling merch helps. You people want to bitch and moan get out and buy up the home and away jerseys or retros and send a message. But don't bitch when your club is trying to gain sponsors, media coverage and dollars when you crap over various initiatives they try to promote like this.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Honestly though, if its a choice between:

- one-off jerseys like this or 9s (which were actually pretty fun) then reverting back to a traditional image for 18/20 games a year...

OR

- changing jerseys entirely every 3 years until a club is only recognisable by a vague combination of colours...

i know which one i prefer

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
1. Nq cowboys - thor
2. Roosters - cap America
3. Raiders - hulk
4. Dragons - iron man
5. Manly - spider man

So basically, the spesific inspiration for the designs will probably be...

Cowboys =
81i18hirmtl._sl1500_.jpg

Roosters =
V5ProdWithBadge

Manly =
Free-Shipping-Men-s-Short-Sleeve-T-Shirt-Iron-Men-Short-Tee-Shirt-font-b-Spider.jpg

Raiders =
under_armour_alter_ego_hulk.jpg

Dragons =
under_armour_alter_ego_iron_man.jpg

GAZF

First Grade
Honestly though, if its a choice between:

- one-off jerseys like this or 9s (which were actually pretty fun) then reverting back to a traditional image for 18/20 games a year...

OR

- changing jerseys entirely every 3 years until a club is only recognisable by a vague combination of colours...

i know which one i prefer

That's not the choice though. Clubs do both of these things.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
That's not the choice though. Clubs do both of these things.

(i cant say for sure, but...)

It appears most clubs are becoming image conscious and are moving back to a core design...

- Dogs, Souths, Dragons, Roosters = always held onto a traditional image

- Raiders, Eagles = used to be ^^^, right up until their most recent jersey. Id like to think this is just a blip.

- Sharks, Knights, Eels, Panthers, Tigers = all used to change every 3 years, but look like theyve settled.

That only leaves: The Titans (their current jersey is so plain and 'classic RL', id wager they are looking for a core design to stick to), the Storm (theyve always had trouble with lightning bolts + sponsors box. i think the solution is their 9s jersey; the bolt makes a little rectangle right in the middle of the chest), the Cowboys (their current strip is only a slight variation on a classic design) and the Broncos and Warriors (god only knows how the minds of those designers works...)

Overall it would appear the dark days of the '3 year cycle' are coming to an end.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
.... the Storm (theyve always had trouble with lightning bolts + sponsors box. i think the solution is their 9s jersey; the bolt makes a little rectangle right in the middle of the chest), the Cowboys (their current strip is only a slight variation on a classic design)

This is the only way i can imagine the Storm having a prominent lightning bolt AND space for a sponsor

Its a shitty 2-minutes paint job, but you get the idea...

storm9sbes481_60.png

Last edited:

kdalymc

Bench
Ffs every storm jersey apart from the last two has been fine. All you need to do is drop the box like 2cm......
Crown need to wake up and drop it slightly and get the original style bolts back

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Ffs every storm jersey apart from the last two has been fine. All you need to do is drop the box like 2cm......
Crown need to wake up and drop it slightly and get the original style bolts back

Even those older jerseys had their issues. They were nice designs, but still not very distinct (take away the badges and most people wouldnt recognise this)

3263-melbourne-storm-1998-retro-jersey-740.jpg

You think of the jersey of any other NRL team (Souths, Dragons, Knights, whoever); you could spend 30 seconds with some crayons and still do a drawing of a teams strip that is unmistakable. The Storm, not so much...

The great thing about their 9s jersey is that it was the first time the really differentiated themselves as a team and a brand (even just the diagonal design was unique to League, not even mentioning the huge lightning bolt). I think that's the design they really need to stick with.

Last edited:

Joker's Wild

Coach
I don't even want to speculate wtf clown jersey my idiot club will be wearing in 2 weeks. May as well be wearing a wonder woman jersey the f**king way they've been playing this season.

Pfft Wonder Woman is a tough bitch. The Cowboys are not worthy of wearing her star spangled spanks