What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 Pre-Season stuff

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll post a few articles here soon, but figured I'd make the point, albeit obvious, that Potter has managed to get Lawrence a lot lighter and in the very limited footage thus far, he looks to have his agility back to where it should be, and his pace.

You also can see how wrong Sheens was to bulk up our centres. Another report says that Ayshford has dropped a lot of weight and is working his arse off, which he hadn't done ever since Sheens made him pack on the kegs.

Sironen has put on some extra muscle mass, not much 2-3 kgs, but enough to help his confidence.

Blair has also bulked up. For the first time it appears our conditioning in the off-season has been spot on and made all the right changes to the players.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
WESTS Tigers fans can expect more heartache from talent lost to Cronulla, with centre Blake Ayshford tearing into pre-season with the Sharks.

Though the Cronulla team is still under a cloud of possible ASADA sanctions against players, Ayshford is impressing in the Shire after asking for a release from the Tigers.

Starting a two-year deal at the Sharks, the 100kg centre is in the best condition of his career according to fellow former Tiger Chris Heighington.

"He's killing it, he's looking really sharp and he's lost a lot of weight," Heighington said.

"I'm looking forward to seeing how he goes. He's a really talented kid and he's been enjoying training with the Sharks and living in the area.

"It's another one from the Wests Tigers to the Sharks and he should go well. He's had a few injuries but he's got his body sorted now, lost a lot of body fat and he's training well.

"He looks like a different bloke to be honest."
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/ti...cronulla-in-2014/story-fndujljl-1226807828141

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Versatile young Wests Tiger Curtis Sironen ready to make his own name
Nathan Ryan
FOX SPORTS
January 29, 2014 4:21PM

CURTIS Sironen is ready to put his famous name to good use and it all starts with the Auckland Nines.

The Wests Tigers backrower is eager to take part in the inaugural two-day tournament starting on February 15.

With the ability to play five-eighth and in the second row, Sironen believes his versatility is ideal for a nine-a-side game.

"We've started to do a bit of training now to show what we've got and hopefully Mick (Potter) gives us a spot in the squad," Sironen said.

"Hopefully that versatility I've got allows me to be competitive.

"Playing in the backrow you've got to have a pretty good engine so hopefully I can hang in there… having an offload and being able to play some second phase footy. Being the first nines competition it would be unreal to be part of it (and) rip in before the season kicks off."

Unsure of the strategy his team will be using, Sironen expects a mixture of "off the cuff footy" and second phase play will win-out over a structured style.

"Offloads being thrown out the back and fast passes," he said of his expectations. "I don't think there will be much structure, especially with how quick the halves are. I think the coaches will get a little bit of a game plan - stick to the basics I think and just play footy. It'd be awesome."

25 games into his NRL career, Sironen is set for his third year of first grade.

Having made the City Origin squad last season, Sironen has had long enough to get used to not only the pressures of first grade but being a second-generation footballer.

The son of Tigers legend Paul Sironen, the 20-year-old says he doesn't let the pressure of his father's achievements affect him as he establishes his own name.

"I just embrace (the pressure)," he said.

"I've got this last name and I might as well put it to good use. If I can go out and play good footy I'll make my own name. Back when I was a bit younger playing school footy it used to affect me a bit but I've matured. I'm starting to feel more confident in myself and already pushed that to the back of my head already… My teammates don't see me as Paul's son they see me as myself so that's all that matters to me."

Making 19 appearances for the Tigers last season, the 2011 Australian schoolboy has used the pre-season to work on what he calls "a few discrepancies" in his game.

Having packed on four kilos of lean muscle during the pre-season, Sironen has upped his weight to 106 kilos - a mass which has him feeling "more confident" about his frame.

Sironen says his main goal this season is ensuring he is in Mick Potter's 17-man squad each week and not just to make up the numbers.

"All I want to do is have a full season in first grade with no injuries and not just be there to make up the numbers. I want to be competitive and have a good year," he said.

"For me it's just staying on the field and being competitive. I'm still not 100 percent sure where I'll be playing - being at six or in the backrow - I've just got to keep up all my skills. If I'm going to play in the backrow I'll still need to work on my kicking game just in case I'm thrown into the halves.

"Doing little things like that, all the extras and rehabbing a few injuries I've had over the last couple of seasons. Obviously I want to keep those at bay and give myself the best opportunity to be in the 17."

Having finished second last in 2013, the one positive for the club was the emergence of a host of young stars. Sironen says he is confident the club can turn their fortunes around after recruiting some fresh faces, added with a balanced mix of youngsters and experienced veterans.

"Robbie, Braith and Fulton they steer us in the right direction and we just do what we're told," he said. "We're just there to rip in and make an impact. I don't really feel like a young bloke anymore. That sounds weird because I'm only 20 but all our mates are in the same boat. It's a good feeling at the club at the moment. We just need to make sure that when we get out there round one we don't use us being a young side as an excuse."

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/ve...ake-his-own-name/story-fndv39ms-1226813156168

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Budding superstar Luke Brooks to miss NRL trial for Wests Tigers due to back injury
Tom Sangster
News Limited Network
January 31, 2014 12:52PM

THE Tigers have named 23 players with NRL experience for their upcoming trials, but budding superstar Luke Brooks has been left out due to injury.

Brooks is recovering from a back issue and will resume full contact work shortly. He is expected to feature later in the pre-season and is not in doubt for round one.

Other notable absentees include Liam Fulton, Keith Galloway (toe), Tim Simona (shoulder) and Nathan Brown (pectoral).

But other than the injured brigade, coach Mick Potter has named strong squads for the two trials against Penrith and Parramatta next Saturday, February 8, with star players Robbie Farah, Aaron Woods and Chris Lawrence to all take the field.

Recruits Blake Austin, Martin Taupau, Keith Lulia, Cory Paterson and Yileen Gordon will play in Wests Tigers colours for the first time, along with returning crowd favourites Dene Halatau and Pat Richards.

The match against Penrith will take place at Kirkham Oval, Camden, while the team to play Parramatta will travel to Alice Springs.

"I'm looking forward to the first trials of the new year and we've put together strong squads for both games," coach Mick Potter said.

"I'm looking for players with attitude, players that want to build pressure on the opposition. I'm looking for aggression, looking for that attitude that winners have.

"The squad for the trial in Camden provides a good mix of experience, youth and new recruits.

"I'm looking forward to getting back out to Camden and meeting some old friends, I can't wait to see the locals fill the ground and provide a great atmosphere.

"For the Alice Springs trial we've got some young guys going up who need some game time, it's going to be a tough game and the local community is crying out for rugby league and we're sending a lot of players."

Squad to play Penrith: Braith Anasta, Blake Austin, Adam Blair, Robbie Farah, Asipeli Fine, James Gavet, Dene Halatau, Marika Koroibete, Chris Lawrence, Keith Lulia, Mitchell Moses, David Nofoaluma, Cory Paterson, Pat Richards, Kurtis Rowe, Curtis Sironen, Martin Taupau, James Tedesco, Bodene Thompson, Aaron Woods.

Squad to play Parramatta: Sitaleki Akauola, Sonny Bristow, Corey Brown, Jack Buchanan, Michael Bullock, Jarred Farlow, Andy Fiagatusa, Yileen Gordon, Jy Hitchcox, Sam Hollis, Inno Innosesio, Joel Luani, Allan McGrath, Ben Murdoch-Masila, Taqele Naiyaravoro, Ava Seumanufagai, Setefano Taukafa, Nathan Waters, Luke Williams.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/bu...e-to-back-injury/story-fndv39ms-1226814898789

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wests Tigers winger David Nofoaluma's inspiration to succeed
Nathan Ryan
FOX SPORTS
January 24, 2014 12:00AM

DAVID Nofoaluma knows how lucky he is.

Raised without the presence of his mother or father, it was his grandparents Sisifo and Lyn Nofoaluma who raised the Wests Tigers flyer.

A product of his environment, Nofoaluma credits his grandfather as his inspiration to achieve his dreams of becoming an NRL star.

"I grew up with my grandparents so my grandad got me into (rugby league)," Nofoaluma says.

"My mum couldn't really support me so she thought the best thing to do was to give me to my grandparents to look after me.

"My grandad took me to my games and drove me. He was the one that really got me into it. I could see that he must have seen that I was going well and I noticed that as I was playing through (the grades) and kept my focus on the game of footy, loved it and enjoyed it every time I played.

"I'm actually grateful for that because if I wasn't staying with (my grandparents) and they didn't raise me I guess I wouldn't be where I am today."

Raised in Campbelltown, David is a Magpies junior and spent his junior career climbing his way up the ranks at the Tigers.

Rarely missing a game at Campbelltown Stadium, it was Sisifo who would drive David to training in his Ford Falcon until the speedster turned 18 and got his first car.

It is a sentiment not lost on the 20-year-old who grew up supporting the club he is now a star of.

Since making his debut last season, Nofoaluma wasted no time in making a name for himself.

He caught the attention of sporting fans worldwide for an acrobatic try he scored against Manly.

Leaping for a Benji Marshall cross-field bomb, Nofoaluma caught the ball in the air before being hit by Jorge Taufua and despite his body dangling over the touch line, the winger was able to place the ball in the field of play. It was awarded the Dally M Try of the Year.

With teams well aware of what the youngster can produce, Nofoaluma says his goal this season is to play with consistency.

"Being my first year getting try of the year and my second game I got the match-winning try - I have to back it up next season," he said.

"I'm not saying I have to do anything spectacular but I have to be a better player."

Having already increased his speed and strength during the off-season, the Junior Kangaroo knows with the return of Pat Richards, rivalry for spots is going to be fierce.

But rather than look at the veteran winger as competition, Nofoaluma sees him more as a role model - taking any opportunity to learn from him.

"There's a lot you can learn from his experience just by the way he trains and the little things he does," he said.

"The coaches told me to watch him at training … his preparation and always on the spot, switched on at every session and doing the little things right. Because he shows that I have to step up because he is the more experienced player."

And while Nofoaluma credits the likes of Robbie Farah and Mick Potter as being his mentors at the Tigers, his grandfather will always be his greatest advisor.

Sisifo may have traded the drive to training for regular phone calls to provide some calming advice - all the miles and petrol have proved to be well worth it.

"I'm proud to know that I have made him proud," he said of his grandfather.

"All the times he has taken me to training has paid off."

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/we...ation-to-succeed/story-fndv39ms-1226808635360

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
League great Andrew Johns wanted boom Wests Tigers rookie Luke Brooks at Newcastle Knights
JOSH MASSOUD
The Sunday Telegraph
February 02, 2014 8:55AM

ANDREW Johns was intrigued. He'd just watched a 2012 schoolboys game featuring Holy Cross Ryde and was taken with the performance of their chief playmaker, Luke Brooks.

At full time Johns crossed the sideline at WIN Stadium for a quick word with the 17-year-old. During their brief exchange, the Knights legend joked: "How about coming to play in Newcastle?"

Before the starstruck Brooks could summon a reply, a veteran official from Wests Tigers intervened and set Johns straight: "There's no chance of that happening, mate. He's with us."

If only they knew. If only Johns and countless talent scouts from rival clubs who've dreamed of extracting the prodigious from Tigertown knew.

If only they knew that, even before he owned a football, Brooks was besotted with Tigers.

There were soft toy tigers, a tiger imprinted doona, even his first beach towel was covered with them. The obsession deepened when Brooks discovered rugby league through his mother, Michele, a lifelong Tigers fan who was raised across the bay from Leichhardt Oval.

Like generations of local kids beforehand, her middle son spent the winter afternoons of his early childhood on the venue's majestic grass hill, using a plastic bottle to emulate his heroes.

By the age of 10 he was old enough to appreciate their incredible skill, which unfolded before his own eyes at ANZ Stadium in October 2005, when Benji Marshall highlighted Wests Tigers' maiden premiership win with a flick pass for the ages.

Brooks tried to replicate the feat in junior games but could never quite make it work. For a strikingly talented kid, it was an all too rare taste of failure. Brooks also excelled at soccer to the point that opposing teams pleaded for him to be restricted to goalkeeping.

He set junior records in athletics, and made representative sides in cricket too, with his grandfather Clive Johnston a former NSW Sheffield Shield captain This idyll unfolded along the length of Victoria Rd, the main artery of Tigertown. Sporting fields in Gladesville, Ryde, and Leichhardt were his domain. Putney Primary School, where Michele is now assistant principal, was the scene of Brooks' first proper game of rugby league in 2001.

"I was in Year One and my older brother's team was short on numbers for a knockout game," Brooks recalls. "They tossed me on the wing and I remember scoring a try in the corner form a cut-out pass he threw to me."

According to his father, Jeff, that moment set Brooks on the path to becoming an NRL star. By his thirteenth birthday, all other pursuits had been abandoned in favour of rugby league and just a year later Brooks progressed to Balmain's junior representative system.

But there would be no magic carpet ride to the breathless acclaim of his NRL debut against St George Illawarra late last season. In the years leading up to that sparkling August day at the SCG, Brooks played precious little football as his lifelong passion for the game dimmed.

Between April 2010 and June 2012, Brooks managed just half a dozen matches. Two broken ankles, a golden staph infection and a broken thumb reduced him to a hapless spectator. The first ankle injury required a 15 month recovery, and, in just his second game back for Holy Cross, Brooks snapped the other one.

Jeff was on the sidelines that afternoon, and remembers his boy slamming the turf in disgust. Growing up, Brooks displayed remarkably little emotion or pain when hurt. He relished confrontations with bigger kids and junior coaches inevitably found themselves begging their star playmaker to leave the defensive grunt work to the forwards. Faced with such unusual distress, Jeff knew something was very wrong.

"I walked over to meet him on the sideline and there was a tear in his eye," Jeff said. "It's one of the only times I've seen him cry. He's such a tough, tough kid. He just said, 'Dad, I've broken the other one.'."

Brooks confesses the following nine months were the darkest of his short life thus far.

"When I returned I kept thinking that I would break my leg in every tackle, and I still get that a little bit to this day," he said. "Back then it was really hard and I got a bit over footy, to be honest. I was not really enjoying it, and I didn't think I was playing that well when I came back (in 2012)."

Trick shots and tries don't cut the mustard for Brooks. A sound defensive and kicking game are the keys for him to be personally satisfied after 80 minutes. Fine judges felt he did all that and much, much more prior to making his NRL debut, generating headlines and quotes that dared to compare him to Johns.

Although he handled the hype to slay the Dragons with a first-up display of remarkable quality, Brooks is far from comfortable with the attention as he prepares to the steer the Tigers attack on a permanent basis in 2014.

"I was very uncomfortable because I hadn't even played an NRL game and all these people were talking about me," he says. "After my debut it changed again. You see people look and recognise you and even say hello. I never expected that and I'm still not used to it. To be honest, I think I should still be doing that sort of stuff to the boys of playing with."

Should he perform as predicted, Brooks will have little choice but to adjust. As a level headed and polite teen, there's no reason why he won't. Just as there was no reason for him to even contemplate testing the open market when the Tigers offered a three-year extension midway through last season.

"He was not driven by money, not at all," Jeff reveals. "He said at the time, 'Dad, I don't really care what they offer, I just want to play for the Tigers'. He's always dreamed of playing for them, and there's a bit of destiny about it because he loved Tigers so much as a very young child."

If only they knew.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/le...ewcastle-knights/story-fndv39ms-1226815719561

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wests Tigers rookie Luke Brooks has eyes of the Tigers

After a dazzling NRL debut last year, rookie playmaker Luke Brooks is getting used to the pressure that comes with being one of the Wests Tigers most prized assets, writes Adrian Proszenko.

There's a lot of talk about passing the baton when it comes to Luke Brooks.

But history shows that it literally hasn't always worked out. Like the time he ran the anchor leg for Holy Cross College's state 4x100 metre relay team in year 10.

''I got disqualified,'' Brooks chuckled.

''I didn't know the rules, you start at one point and are meant to get the baton there and I started before it. We won by a mile. A few of the boys weren't taking it too serious and then we were disqualified.

''One of the guys who took it serious was blowing up - he threw his spikes right out of the ground. I was just laughing.''

There was almost another false start, albeit on a grander stage. It was the Tuesday before THAT debut. Wests Tigers coach Mick Potter told him he was playing. A lifelong ambition was about to be fulfilled. Or was it? In his previous game in reggies, Brooks was placed on report for a high tackle.

Unable to help himself, Under-20s coach Todd Payten came up to Brooks and said, po-faced: ''You're suspended, you can't play.'' ''I had a feeling he was stitching me up,'' Brooks said. ''So it was pretty funny.'' History will show that Brooks played. And how. His first game was on the hallowed turf of the Sydney Cricket Ground. It was the grand old venue his late grandfather, Clive Johnson, had captained the NSW cricket team alongside the likes of greats Richie Benaud and Bob Simpson.

To say he was nervous was an understatement.

''I was thinking about the game all week,'' he said.

''Going to the ground, about halfway there, I remember really needing to go to the toilet. I had to run to the change rooms. The time I most got nervous was during the anthems, just standing there.'' It didn't show. The teenage halfback scored a try against the Dragons, had a hand or a foot in just about everything and was crowned man of the match. Due to second-tier salary cap restrictions, it remains his only NRL appearance.

''It was a dream come true, I always wanted to play for the Tigers,'' he said.

''I really have to pinch myself because it's weird playing with people you've looked up to. I never thought I'd get a chance to play with Benji [Marshall], it was good.

''It would have been good to play a few more games with him but at least I got one.'' That he is playing at all is reward for perseverance. The former Australian Schoolboy badly broke and dislocated his ankle three years ago.

Complications, including a golden staph infection, meant he was sidelined for 15 months. In the second game of his comeback, he broke the other leg. And a broken thumb prevented him from participating in the SG Ball final series.

''I did [think about quitting] a bit but I always knew I wanted to keep playing,'' he said.

He isn't the only member of his family training on Concord Oval. His older brother Joel plays for the Wests Harbour rugby side which trains at the same field. The 21-year-old is currently trialling for a spot with the Waratahs. Another sibling, 15-year-old Scott, is a fullback in the Tigers feeder system.

Luke and Joel crossed paths when their teams set up a training camp at Kiama during the week.

''My older brother was in the ranks of the Tigers with the 20s and stopped playing footy,'' Brooks said. ''He stopped for two years and got back into union with his mates.''

One of his own good mates is fellow playmaker Mitchell Moses. The pair were the gun athletes at Holy Cross, often sharing the school's player of the year awards. Injuries have prevented them from combining often - Moses broke his leg and has been hampered by hamstring and calf problems - but the pair are earmarked as the long-term Wests Tigers halves.

They have come through the grades together, although they have also played against each other. Moses spent part of his junior career at Parramatta and Brooks recalls a particular time they clashed.

''He actually threw me an intercept,'' Brooks recalled.

''It actually looked like he threw it straight to me. He was pretty filthy.'' Moses has been named for the Tigers' first trial, while Brooks will be missing from the Nines tournament. The latter suffered stress fractures last year and the club are mindful of protecting him. His debut appearance was headline news and already there have been comparisons to Andrew Johns.

For a teen who has played just one game, they are unhelpful. It is not yet time for Benji to pass the baton.

''Sometimes you get noticed,'' Brooks said of the newfound attention he has received.

''It feels a bit weird.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-the-tigers-20140201-31txk.html#ixzz2sDcqr3UZ

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Marika Koroibete's return to Wests Tigers training may be delayed by visa bungle

Date January 5, 2014
Marika Koroibete is hoping to put his injury problems behind him in 2014. Photo: Dallas Kilponen

An incomplete visa form has led to complications for Wests Tigers flyer Marika Koroibete and could delay his return to Australia before pre-season training on Monday.

Fairfax Media understands a paperwork bungle held up Koroibete in England as he tried to leave the country following the recent World Cup, where he played for Fiji. He has since returned to Fiji and is expected to report for Tigers training at Concord Oval when pre-season training resumes on Monday.

The club sponsors Koroibete's visa and Tigers officials are confident the visa is a mere formality, but only once paperwork is lodged. It is unknown if that has happened. Wests Tigers chief executive Grant Mayer said he was confident Koroibete would return on Monday once his leave ended.

''Our expectation is that Marika will be back with the squad on January 6,'' Mayer said. ''We understand that he has had some issues in regards to getting his visa approved.

''We've certainly assisted where and when possible and look forward to welcoming him back along with the full squad on January 6.''

The 21-year-old has been a revelation on the Tigers flank since scoring four tries in his second top-grade game in 2012. Injuries plagued his second season, highlighted by a dislocated elbow and a fractured cheekbone, which restricted him to nine games.

Koroibete had been granted an extended leave from pre-season training after featuring for Fiji in their semi-final loss to Australia. The Tigers' other World Cup players, including recruits Pat Richards and Keith Lulia, as well as internationals James Tedesco and Joel Luani, returned to training before Christmas.

Skipper Robbie Farah is not required back at training until the middle of January, having featured in Australia's opening three pool games before losing his bench spot to Manly halfback Daly Cherry-Evans.

The bulk of NRL teams return to pre-season training on Monday. Newcastle and Brisbane returned last Friday.

After finishing the 2013 season second from bottom, the Tigers hope a younger generation of players are able to turn things around. Luke Brooks, Mitchell Moses and Curtis Sironen will carry added responsibility following the departure of Benji Marshall to Super Rugby franchise the Blues.

Recruits Martin Taupau, Cory Paterson and Blake Austin will push for time in the top grade, while the return of Dene Halatau will provide much-needed experience.

Lote Tuqiri, Joel Reddy, Blake Ayshford and Eddy Pettybourne joined Marshall in leaving the club at the end of last year. The Tigers meet St George Illawarra in round one of the NRL season.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...visa-bungle-20140104-30anz.html#ixzz2sDdMbT1I

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Based on an above article, Sironen doesn't seem to know yet and he hasn't been taken off halves training either.

We need that sorted out asap, especially if Brooks misses the trials

Matchball

Bench
This doesn't leave me much hope for the season.
Players aren't creating combinations or given time to gel in a position.

I hope we don't go down the same path of having a new 5/8 each week. Ugh.

A Stray Alien

Juniors
Dont see Sue on team list for trials or on injury list is he on outer already could be in NSW Cup trial at camden who else be in that side cause it looks like we will be stretched

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Roll on 2014 season. It can only be better. The team has got rid of some dead wood and unenthusiastic players, recruited reasonably well, given certainty to Potter inasmuch as allowing him 2014 to show his wares and finally seeing the end of Sheens. The question over 5/8 will be answered soon enough.

Good luck WestsTigers.

DanOz

Juniors
I'm not against it, just don't go switching players around midseason Sheens style.
I hope he gives the jumper to the player based on form, give the trials some real meaning - something else that Sheens was not in favour of.

super_coach

First Grade
Some players just dont play reserve grade for some mystical reason and Anasta is one of them. Last year was proof to all with eyes, he is no backrower, so that only leaves no7,no6 and no14. So based on the above he is a moral for round one no6 and with the forwards beefed up and powered up he just might surprise, although he would not be my first pick

BuffaloRules

Coach
Some players just dont play reserve grade for some mystical reason and Anasta is one of them. Last year was proof to all with eyes, he is no backrower, so that only leaves no7,no6 and no14. So based on the above he is a moral for round one no6 and with the forwards beefed up and powered up he just might surprise, although he would not be my first pick

I have said this many times - Anasta is not a bench player.. he offers zero impact... I cant seen him coming on after 20 minutes and making a dozen tackles or 4-5 hit ups..

So that leaves No 6 or No 7 or my favourite position for him left right out.

But it appears he will be picked in the side regardless.

Is it wrong to wish a season ending injury on someone? Maybe a non painful one?

super_coach

First Grade
In 2014 Braith Anasta is our Michael Pobjie

MU pobjie had attitude by the spade full to make up for his lack of skill, every team hated playing against him, he was in their face all day(usually offside by 5 mtrs). Now I have not seen Braith display that same win at all costs attitude.

My pick for the no6 would be young Austen and if fit I may have given Moltzen first bite. One things for certain with a real no7 and some more grunt in the forwards,life will be easier for the no6 in 2014

Latest posts