What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 Team

Kilkenny

Coach
Moylan
Mansour
Roberts
Whare
Simmons
Peachey
Soward
Grant
Segs
Kite
Manu
Cartwright
Taylor

Foster
McKendry
Plum
Brown

I appreciate the love for Moylan on the Panther forum but I simply can't see him being our top grade fullback in 2014. I like the kid but he simply misses too many tackles, due to his lack of size, which are leading to tries. His lack of pace likewise hurts his chances given we have other who are much quicker and more elusive. I would have him well down the pecking order for the fullback role.

I think there is a belief within the club Nabuli with continued develop over the off season has what it takes to play and be successful at NRL level. I see Nabuli being one of our wingers, whether he starts round 1 obviously time will tell but he will be debuting at some point in 2014.

Barring injury the 6-7 will be Soward - Wallace. That is a given.

There is plenty of competition for places across all positions in the forwards which is healthy. The potentially serious torn pec injury to Segeyaro is an obvious concern and there must be some doubt about his availability for the start of the season.

Unlike most I still think Cartwright should be brought on slowly and I don't believe he is ready for the top grade. The difference in standard between the top grade and NSW Cup / NYC is immense and there is still work to be done on his overall game and his own strength & conditioning.

franklin2323

Immortal
I appreciate the love for Moylan on the Panther forum but I simply can't see him being our top grade fullback in 2014. I like the kid but he simply misses too many tackles, due to his lack of size, which are leading to tries. His lack of pace likewise hurts his chances given we have other who are much quicker and more elusive. I would have him well down the pecking order for the fullback role.

I think there is a belief within the club Nabuli with continued develop over the off season has what it takes to play and be successful at NRL level. I see Nabuli being one of our wingers, whether he starts round 1 obviously time will tell but he will be debuting at some point in 2014.

There is plenty of competition for places across all positions in the forwards which is healthy. The potentially serious torn pec injury to Segeyaro is an obvious concern and there must be some doubt about his availability for the start of the season.

Unlike most I still think Cartwright should be brought on slowly and I don't believe he is ready for the top grade. The difference in standard between the top grade and NSW Cup / NYC is immense and there is still work to be done on his overall game and his own strength & conditioning.

Moylan missed last off season and was P/T the season before. He gets to the player ok so positioning is fine. Some weights and practice rolling the player over and he will be fine. Unlike other hopefuls he can catch and offers something with the ball. Considering we have Wallace we will need that

chrisD

Coach
Besides Moss I don't trust any other potential fullback under the bomb and don't know how they'd go positionally, also besides Moss no-one else has the ball skills to chime into backline plays where the fullback has to catch and pass.

He still has to catch passes which seems to trouble him at times

Yes he more than earned his stint back in the lower grades.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Besides Moss I don't trust any other potential fullback under the bomb and don't know how they'd go positionally, also besides Moss no-one else has the ball skills to chime into backline plays where the fullback has to catch and pass.

It's why I wouldn't move Moylan yet. 12 months time who knows but we have options and would rather a fb slightly slower catching then someone not.

Moss is too small needs a groin op so will have a disrupted pre-season. See how he goes in NSW Cup for an extended time and maybe change it for 2015

broncos2010

Juniors
Hmm be interesting to see how many of the under 20s play first grade next year, so much talent there.

I have been watching Moss the last 3-4 weeks and he is one hell of a player in the making, I would even go as far as saying he will be the number 1 half way through next year in front of moylan he has so much more in his game I believe.

Cartwright- Round 1 bench for sure in the NRL guy is a total gun and is ready for first grade so dominant.

Jenko - Not ready yet will be better off playing another year of NSW Cup.

Roberts- Have to be a starting centre next year in the NRL squad serious talent already show his class in the NRL.

Future looking bright for you boys.

broncos2010

Juniors
1. M Moylan
2. J Mansour
3. K Naiqama
4. D Whare
5. D Simmons
6. J Soward
7. P Wallace
8. T Grant
9. K Kingston
10. B Kite
11. L Brown
12. S Manu
13. E Taylor

14. J Segayaro
15. S Mckendry
16. A Docker
17. T Peachey

Peachey should be starting and be the 80 min lock,guy is a match winning back rower with his skill set he needs to be out on the field as long as possible.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Peachey should be starting and be the 80 min lock,guy is a match winning back rower with his skill set he needs to be out on the field as long as possible.

ET will be our starting lock for many years to come, future Captain in my opinion.

Pomoz

Bench

Great post Kilkenny. I agree that there is no need to rush Cartwright especially given he plays in the forwards where there is more physical impact on a player during a game. I watched him closely last week in the Final and he is an absolute gun, with great timing, footwork and an ability to read the game well. He needs to fill out a bit but is blessed with a good frame on which he can build some muscle. He will spend plenty of time in reggies next year and with another two off seasons of conditioning, he will be ready to make a massive impact in 2015.

chrisD

Coach
He's better than many first grade back rowers now, holding him back benefits no-one, just as holding back Moylan benefitted no-one and hurt the team and player.

betcats

Referee
How did it hurt Moylan to be held back? He was MOTM on debut, if anything that proves to me holding him back was the right thing to do.

chrisD

Coach
How would Moylan having been in first grade from the start of this season have done anything but helped his development and the team? Did he grow as a player from not first grade standard to first grade standard in 6 games? And they were trying to hold him back further only injury forced their hand, because apparently he still wasn't first grade ready. How well would that have turned out?

forby

Juniors
He couldn't have started in Rd 1 as he wasn't in the top 25. Injuries gave him the chance and he shone, but playing finals in NSW Cup wont do him any harm. The experience of playing in the GF this week will be unforgettable for him.

chrisD

Coach
He couldn't have started in Rd 1 as he wasn't in the top 25.

Because he apparently wasn't nearly ready for first grade, meanwhile Whare dropped everything kicked at him. How well that all worked out for everyone.

Pomoz

Bench
He's better than many first grade back rowers now, holding him back benefits no-one, just as holding back Moylan benefitted no-one and hurt the team and player.
You should listen to Gus's podcast on this issue. He said that Sjeika, Austin and Moylan were introduced into First Grade too late and weren't given enough time in reggies to get used to playing against adults. Consequently, they all picked up serious injuries because they weren't physically ready. He mentioned that Moylan would have played a bit last year, but he got injured. He said that Sjeika, Austin and Moylan were all injured because of the poor way they were introduced into First Grade, without the crucial step of playing them in reggies against adults first (in a planned manner, not a game here or there). There are two benefits to doing this:
1. You get to see how they cope at a different level with a faster more physical game.
2. The player gets to see how much work they need to do to get physically fit enough to play first grade.

Dropping Cartwight or Moylan directly into First Grade is exactly the wrong thing to do. I don't disagree that he is already better than the likes of Ciraldo and Newton, but physically his body just isn't ready for the collisions yet. I expect Cartwright will get a lot more more games in reggies next year and maybe a game or two in first grade.

Latest posts