What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 Team

Kilkenny

Coach
The question should only ever be is if Cartwright is one of the best 17.

In the season just finished, he was no where near ready for the top grade on a regular basis. A one off game to give him and the fans a taste maybe, but he is not yet up to the rigours of regular NRL footy. Time to move on from this silly debate Chris.

betcats

Referee
There really is some competition for those 4 outside back spots next year, Mansour, Roberts, Nabuli, Simmons, Whare, Naqaima, Jennings.

Both Simmons and Mansour were on fire at the end of this season but guys like Nabuli and Roberts have a lot of upside if they can adjust to FG...it will interesting to see how it plays out, its a good problem to have.

Edit: I read this morning Nabuli has 28 tries from 25 games, that is a pretty awesome effort, this guy needs a shot in FG i think.

Last edited:

murraymob

Coach
Facts? Wtf, you're the one who just wrote a fantasy about how body maturity is why so few U20s don't make it in the NRL seemingly in complete ignorance of the mathematical impossibility of more coming through. Why would I bother giving you examples of sprinting, NFL and other shit when I just gave you NRL examples? Examples in which the circumstances mirror that of Cartwright. As explained and backed by examples the idea Cartwright or any player has to have some kind of physical peak in NSW cup before they're ready for first grade is quite obviously bullshit and in referenced cases would have been detrimental to not only the club but the player's development.

The question should only ever be is if Cartwright is one of the best 17.
The answer to that question is right now he is not. But given time he will be

maple_69

Bench
Being the best winger in reserves in your first year playing rugby league is a fantastic achievement. He could be as electrifying as Korobeite. His defence was the issue and I've only seen him in action a couple times since the early stages. How do you guys think he progressed in defence?

franklin2323

Immortal
Being the best winger in reserves in your first year playing rugby league is a fantastic achievement. He could be as electrifying as Korobeite. His defence was the issue and I've only seen him in action a couple times since the early stages. How do you guys think he progressed in defence?

Yeah seems to be reading the plays better.

Pomoz

Bench
If we are lucky, the NRL will make changes to the administration of the second tier cap so that clubs don't have to "guess" who is going to make it. If someone bolts from the field and is unexpectedly ready, they can get a run. They don't even have to increase the second tier cap. Just change the rules so that the first grade cap and the second tier caps are created as a single pool. The clubs just have to manage the total pool. The rules about match payments can stay for first grade (any player playing first grade regardless of their contract has to receive a minimum payment, something like $3k I think). And all first graders have to be identified and payed at least the minimum wage. That way, if a club is below the cap in first grade, they can use the spare cash to try second tier players if they wish, or u20's for that matter. It also stops teams stockpiling players because they have to pay them a minimum to play in first grade.

I hope they do this, we don't want to rely on 20/20 foresight or injuries to be able to trial players.

Panther Pete

Juniors
Gus said today during the grand final pre game that Eto would have played half a dozen first grade games this year if not for the second tier restrictions and that he will be one of the first picked next year.

mxlegend99

Referee
He's a try scoring freak but is too poor in many of the basics for first grade IMO. His hands are deadset awful. He would be on the receiving end of bombs from the opposition too, and I would back him to drop it more often then not.

He's a try scoring freak but is too poor in many of the basics for first grade IMO. His hands are deadset awful. He would be on the receiving end of bombs from the opposition too, and I would back him to drop it more often then not.

Did his hands improve as the season went on?

franklin2323

Immortal
Too make it easier to explain. Last year's squad with next years replacement. You can't drop a player to P/T mid contract. So despite Naiqama & Humble being long shots to play this will be our squad

Roberts
Mansour
Tighe
Whare
Simmons
Coote - Moylan
Walsh - Soward
Plum
Kingston
Grant
Manu
Brown
Smith - Wallace
Segeyaro
Masoe - Naiqama
McKendry
Robinson
Humble
Naiqama
Daniela - Moylan
Austin - John
Latimore - Kite
Ciraldo - Taylor
Newton - Peachey
Docker

So barring injuries I can't see how we can debut anyone.

franklin2323

Immortal
Just play the 20's backline with swapping Whare for Blake

He was the best back over the season. Despite being a year younger & in his 2nd year of RL. His form pushed Jennings to the wing & Satini out of the team full stop. Though I agree with the post just not the dropped player

Pomoz

Bench
T
So barring injuries I can't see how we can debut anyone.
You may be right, using the current salary cap rules, but they have been reviewed and are under consideration for amendment. As I said earlier, the salary cap review will determine how we manage debuts and if we are lucky, the NRL scrap the whole second tier nonsense. I will be surprised if it isn't changed because there are so many coaches complaining about how it restricts their ability to develop players. The changes I have proposed don't even need an increase in the cap, just a removal of the distinction between second tier and first grade when it come to calculating the value of both caps.

That review is crucial, because of where Penrith is right now. If it remains as it is now, it will severely restrict our ability to fast track the young players who are ready for first grade.

franklin2323

Immortal
You may be right, using the current salary cap rules, but they have been reviewed and are under consideration for amendment. As I said earlier, the salary cap review will determine how we manage debuts and if we are lucky, the NRL scrap the whole second tier nonsense.

I think that's the hope but it won't be a free fall all though. Players need to sign off Players like Humble and Naiqama wont vote for something that gives a P/T a chance for more money then them. We will probably get injury replacements or something similar.