What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 Team

meek

Juniors
You may be right, using the current salary cap rules, but they have been reviewed and are under consideration for amendment. As I said earlier, the salary cap review will determine how we manage debuts and if we are lucky, the NRL scrap the whole second tier nonsense. I will be surprised if it isn't changed because there are so many coaches complaining about how it restricts their ability to develop players. The changes I have proposed don't even need an increase in the cap, just a removal of the distinction between second tier and first grade when it come to calculating the value of both caps.

That review is crucial, because of where Penrith is right now. If it remains as it is now, it will severely restrict our ability to fast track the young players who are ready for first grade.

Needs to be modifed rather than scrapped -
Correct me if im wrong but wasnt it brought in to primarily stop the Roosters for one from throwing silly money at everyones best juniors and stacking there lower grade teams withmost of the best juniors running around .

as i said apologies if im wrong abt it and misreading what you are saying.

betcats

Referee
We can still play guys that arent part of the top 25 without injuries as long as we dont go over that second tier cap, its up to those guys to earn a shot.

franklin2323

Immortal
We can still play guys that arent part of the top 25 without injuries as long as we dont go over that second tier cap, its up to those guys to earn a shot.

2 or 3 as it stands now. Depending how much sign on fee the 2nd tier players get

franklin2323

Immortal
Needs to be modifed rather than scrapped -
Correct me if im wrong but wasnt it brought in to primarily stop the Roosters for one from throwing silly money at everyones best juniors and stacking there lower grade teams withmost of the best juniors running around .

as i said apologies if im wrong abt it and misreading what you are saying.

Yep spot on. That wouldn't happen now. a player wouldn't stay on Match payments when Parra or someone would sign them. Though the issue is though minimum wage is 85k

Say Cartwright $30k sign on. Plays 20 games at 3k = 90k. No way that sort of system would be approved

Crazy Hazy

Juniors
Too make it easier to explain. Last year's squad with next years replacement. You can't drop a player to P/T mid contract. So despite Naiqama & Humble being long shots to play this will be our squad

Roberts
Mansour
Tighe
Whare
Simmons
Coote - Moylan
Walsh - Soward
Plum
Kingston
Grant
Manu
Brown
Smith - Wallace
Segeyaro
Masoe - Naiqama
McKendry
Robinson
Humble
Naiqama
Daniela - Moylan
Austin - John
Latimore - Kite
Ciraldo - Taylor
Newton - Peachey
Docker

So barring injuries I can't see how we can debut anyone.

Franklin- Moylan's name is down twice in this list. Who will be next cab off the rank?

mxlegend99

Referee
Did his hands improve as the season went on?
Honestly not too sure. The only times I saw Nabouli play were when the Wolves were on fox sports. He had some promise, but I never thought he looked like he would be better in first grade then what we had. Travis Robinson always looked the better winger. Outside of the grand final... Robinson was pretty much invisible. While Nabouli was very noticeable... unfortunately mostly due to his errors. But also a couple of tries and another instance where he had no right to even contest the ball but his speed and size saw him nearly come away with a very unlikely try.

But I think it's mostly the fact that Rugby League is fairly new to him. Which is why he looks great in many areas but looks a bit off in some of the basics. Personally I don't see him getting a run outside of injuries. Not with the likes of David Simmons, Josh Mansour and Kevin Naiqama fighting it out for two spots. Even then I would rather see the Under 20's wingers get a run ahead of Nabouli.

Spot On

Coach
I would rather we kept Masoe over Kite but that's done now. Grant has to be captain you would think. Here goes:

Moylan
K.Naiqama
Roberts
Whare
Simmons
Soward
John
Grant (c)
Segeyaro
Manu (given we have heaps of backs push him up)
Taylor
Brown
Docker:

McKendry
Plum
Peachey
Robinson

Can someone tell me the reason Mose wasn't kept????

I've read that he just wanted to go to the UK for travel/something different and that when he comes back he'll try get a contract here first.

Pomoz

Bench
The current salary cap is the first grade cap plus the second tier cap. However, if you have money left under the first grade cap, you cannot spend it on second tier players because the match payments for first grade count in the second tier cap. What I have proposed is that the salary cap is one pool of funds. You have to identify your first grade squad of 25 players and it cannot exceed the first grade cap. The same for second tier. However, if you don't spend your first grade cap you can use the excess for match payments for second tier players and it counts in your first grade cap, not your second tier cap. You still can't hoard players because there are rules on the minimum payments that you have to pay. But you can use excess fund for second tier or u20 payments.

franklin2323

Immortal
That would work. We were hit yet started $500k under the cap. Canberra couldn't play Cornish yet punted Dugan.

Though add to that Injury replacements as in all other sports. Kyle Stanley missed the whole season. Yet Dragons get penalised cap wise to cover him.

Pomoz

Bench
You could see that the NRL were trying to stop clubs stockpiling players, but they got the details wrong. There is no logic to the rigidity between second tier and first grade. I'm sure common sense will prevail and they will fix it.

franklin2323

Immortal
You could see that the NRL were trying to stop clubs stockpiling players, but they got the details wrong. There is no logic to the rigidity between second tier and first grade. I'm sure common sense will prevail and they will fix it.

These days 2 NYC games, 1 NSW Cup, 1 QLD cup game all televised. Any player too good for those competition's will be snapped up by someone else. So that shouldn't be the concern now. Though players wil want to ensure FT players get a good deal or certainly don't earn less then P/T

Kilkenny

Coach
In relation to Nabuli I watched half a dozen Wolves games in the first half of there season and I didn't really see too much wrong with his ball handling. He was all at see with his positional play and occasionally in defence but that appears to have improved as his season went on. I am sure Gould would not have made the comments he did if he didn't think he was up to it so I am sure he is going to competing for a top grade spot.

With the exception of perhaps Dean Whare all other outside back and fullback positions are up for grabs. Simmons had a great season and has generally been very solid his whole time with the club but even he is not guaranteed his position.

Which ever way you look at Ivan Cleary has 10 or so players to pick from for the five outside back positions and all could do a good job so it is a pretty healthy position to be in.

The wildcard could be DWZ and how he builds up his strength, speed and condition in the off season. He could be the dark horse for a spot on the wing.

At the very least I don't see any further need to use Brown as a stop gap. He did a pretty decent job filling in out of necessity in 2013 but shouldn't be necessary next season. If he is called upon again then we will surely be suffering from a massive injury toll which surely cannot happen again.

chrisD

Coach
It was good Gould acknowledged DWZ as a fullback, somewhat bewildering to hear him say he needs to play at centre to round out his abilities.

Kilkenny

Coach
It was good Gould acknowledged DWZ as a fullback, somewhat bewildering to hear him say he needs to play at centre to round out his abilities.

Don't read to much into it Chris. Gould and everyone at the club knows his best position is fullback. The dilemma we are facing is Moss is highly regarded as well and two into one doesn't fit. I think Moss will get first crack next season before DWZ and they will continue to bring him along with another season in the Holden Cup and in our NSW Cup reserve side.

pantherpuddy

Juniors
I think fullback is still a concern. Moylan is talented but needs to step up and improve to be a quality fullback. He seems like he could eventually play in the halves but he is too small at the moment and wouldn't handle the defence. It will be interesting to see what happens with moss if he can have a big off season/pre season. Does he seem a better fullback prospect than Moylan ? Im assuming DWZ is still a couple of seasons away from fulltime first grade

Kilkenny

Coach
I think fullback is still a concern. Moylan is talented but needs to step up and improve to be a quality fullback. He seems like he could eventually play in the halves but he is too small at the moment and wouldn't handle the defence. It will be interesting to see what happens with moss if he can have a big off season/pre season. Does he seem a better fullback prospect than Moylan ? Im assuming DWZ is still a couple of seasons away from fulltime first grade

Trust me we are blessed with fullbacks. We have too many who can't all fit into the position. I've been watching the Panthers since 1970 and we have had some great fullbacks over the years but the current crop are second to none. I suspect the only reason DWZ may have signed only a two year deal was he was covering his bets if Moss makes every post a winner and he is not prepared to settle for a spot on the wing. Time will tell. Lachlan Coote saw the writing on the wall and did the best for himself. I don't thing Moylan is the man for the job but others on here disagree so time it makes for an interesting 2014.

franklin2323

Immortal
I reckon DWZ would be a great centre. Has size, Speed decent pass of course he would start NRL on the wing. Leaves Moss at the back. Moylan 5/8th gives us the best all round side