What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 Team

franklin2323

Immortal
moss is similar to moylan small body may struggle in first grade.

I can't see Moss getting a run in 2014 so has time to bulk up. Especially now no Seg early on we need the extra ball player

Different style FB's Moylan like Coote as a ball player 9/10 will be belted going to the line & passing.

Moss' strength is pouncing on loose balls & supporting offloads. Assuming he is bulked enough to handle defence size shouldn't be a concern

PinkPanther

Juniors
Be interesting to see who steps up as the second hooker early in the season with segs out thinking foster is ready made for it
Losing Segs sucks but I think while he is out, having a backrower take his spot on the bench would be a better option than having another hooker.

maple_69

Bench
I don't think having an average half in Wallace is necessarily going to define our season (or next couple if he's still there). A lot of successful teams in the past few years don't have two dominant halves. Dragons 2010, Bulldogs 2012, Sharks 2013, Eels 2009, Broncos 2006. What all these teams had though was one very dominant half, quality fullbacks (who could playmake preferably) and dynamic forwards.

Next year I see us accounting for bottom 8 sides and having tough matches with top sides but struggling to break down defences. The following year when a couple key juniors become key members of the side we will gain that extra dimension to our attack. Cartwright and Peachey should be up to speed, Dallin/Moss at the back, Segs starting, Nabuli/Roberts/Naiqama/Whare/Jennings in the backline. If they are smart we should get a bit of a taste of the finals this year (Week 2 would be my goal) and then we see our window open for 2015.

Of course Wallace at 2008 form, a big recruit or a young bloke really stepping up at half would make things a lot simpler.

Puntastic

Juniors
Are we positive Segs is going to be out come round 1? A torn pec is usually 12-24 weeks, which means even a severe tear should see him recover just in time for footy season?

I don't think having an average half in Wallace is necessarily going to define our season (or next couple if he's still there). A lot of successful teams in the past few years don't have two dominant halves. Dragons 2010, Bulldogs 2012, Sharks 2013, Eels 2009, Broncos 2006. What all these teams had though was one very dominant half, quality fullbacks (who could playmake preferably) and dynamic forwards.

Next year I see us accounting for bottom 8 sides and having tough matches with top sides but struggling to break down defences. The following year when a couple key juniors become key members of the side we will gain that extra dimension to our attack. Cartwright and Peachey should be up to speed, Dallin/Moss at the back, Segs starting, Nabuli/Roberts/Naiqama/Whare/Jennings in the backline. If they are smart we should get a bit of a taste of the finals this year (Week 2 would be my goal) and then we see our window open for 2015.

Of course Wallace at 2008 form, a big recruit or a young bloke really stepping up at half would make things a lot simpler.

Most of those clubs you mention had a least one half who was fairly dominant.

Given the question marks over soward that's where the real worry comes in about Wallace.

Puntastic

Juniors
In regards to the 2014 side...

I can definitely appreciate what Ivan is trying to achieve, even if a few of the signings wouldn't have been my first choice. I've said before that the success of 2014 will hinge on minimising any liabilities in the team. We've shown in 2013 that we can play real solid, safe, 101 football and I expect to see more of that in 2014.

Grant, McKendry, Plum and Kite have been criticized collectively for being a very one dimensional forward pack, but the four of them are capable of being a wall of strength for us. Kite is a proven worker, and Plum has shown that he's more than just a great defender when Grant was out. There will be no drop off in intensity with our rotation, and that will make a huge difference.

Kingston and Wallace are not spectacular performers, but they are safe and I think that they will both fit in well with Cleary's plans. Our props will make room for these two, whose primary objectives will be to give safe deliveries to their outsiders. Nothing more, nothing less. At times, Brisbane had Wallace playing a more creative, dominant role than he is made for. Neither are liabilities in defence.

Soward has a lot of pressure on him. His performance is probably the most crucial in 2014, as everything sort of revolves around him creative-wise. His kicking game should be a relief in pressure though, something we've really lacked. And he's got the ability to keep the opposition in two minds. No matter how you look at it, Soward and Wallace are going to be a better combination than Walsh and John. Soward's defence is admittedly one of the bigger aforementioned liabilities in the side.

12 months ago, I probably wouldn't have pictured Simmons as my choice winger, but him and Whare have been outstanding. Whare is also one of the best defensive centres in the comp in my opinion. Roberts' handling leaves something to be desired, but him and Naiqama might be the fastest outside back combination in the comp. They should be absolutely explosive.

I am a big fan of Josh Mansour, but after time I've come to the conclusion that if our forwards are making the meters they should be making, Josh won't have to. That said, he would be my #1 replacement and I'm glad to have him around. I suspect we'll see some of him in 2014.

James Segeyaro should play 50+ minutes next year, even if Kingston has to play 10+ minutes in the back row. Hoping he's back ASAP.

Our backrow is just explosive. Give Manu, Brown, Peachy and Taylor room to move and we can really address our biggest problem of 2013 - we could get into the oppositions 20, but we don't come away with the points as often as we should. We've got the side to let these guys thrive a little more IMO.

We have an explosive football side on paper for 2014. Segs, Peachy, Taylor, Naiqama, Roberts, Manu, Brown and Soward will be some of the most exciting players to watch next year, and I'm as excited as I've ever been for the upcoming season. We realistically should finish in the bottom half of the 8*. I'll be happy with a finals berth.

Last edited:
Kingston was told to go but we ended up having spare money to keep him. He shouldn't be near 1st grade if Segeyaro is playing.

Puntastic

Juniors
Kingston was told to go but we ended up having spare money to keep him. He shouldn't be near 1st grade if Segeyaro is playing.

I was of the belief that Kingston was told to leave but played himself into a 1 year contract.

Kingston and Wallace wouldn't be in my 1st grade squad ideally. Segeyaro could play 60 minutes and Peachy or even Taylor (Despite his run at the warriors) could play hooker for 20.

I just don't see it happening. I expect Kingston to play the majority of the season.

That doesn't stop me from being excited however, and it certainly isn't going to make or break our season.

franklin2323

Immortal

Great post. I agree we will be around 6th or 7th if the team is who most of us think it will be. We can be higher is Soward/Moylan combine well or the young guys get in the side. Moylan is the ball playing 1 you speak of.

Though to become a top side we need more speed & creativity in the side. Means Wallace to 9. Moylan out of fullback. Speed on the wings

franklin2323

Immortal
I was of the belief that Kingston was told to leave but played himself into a 1 year contract.

Kingston and Wallace wouldn't be in my 1st grade squad ideally. Segeyaro could play 60 minutes and Peachy or even Taylor (Despite his run at the warriors) could play hooker for 20.

I just don't see it happening. I expect Kingston to play the majority of the season.

That doesn't stop me from being excited however, and it certainly isn't going to make or break our season.

Yep. Can't see any major changes to our team simply Taylor, Peachey, Soward in for Newton, Ciraldo & Walsh. Add to that Whare in the centres all year. Sees us win the Newcastle game we lost 8-6 & the Tigers game at home we threw away. That alone puts us in the 8.

Won't make us a top team but will get us too the 8

soc123_au

Staff member
If Soward fires we should win more than we loose. I haven't been this excited for our prospects since 2004.

I just dont think we can have Kingston moving into the forwards and doing nothing again for 60mins a game and do well

murraymob

Coach
wallace must never go to nine.Tim Grant would even go better there hell even bring royce out of retirement .Anyone who seen him there at the broncos would see he is just to slow in everything he does.Leave him where he is.We have enough hookers and players who could adapt to that position if needed

murraymob

Coach
I just dont think we can have Kingston moving into the forwards and doing nothing again for 60mins a game and do well

i doubt kingston will play full games from now on.We have so many quality backrowers .The dynamics are different next year in who we can use of the bench

ACTPanthers

Bench
wallace must never go to nine.Tim Grant would even go better there hell even bring royce out of retirement .Anyone who seen him there at the broncos would see he is just to slow in everything he does.Leave him where he is.We have enough hookers and players who could adapt to that position if needed

Thank you!! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks this

meek

Juniors
I know its been done adnauseam but seriously cant understand why they signed Wallace - All the Wallace fans surely couldnt have been watching him play for the broncos the last few years - anyhow as ive said before
sincerely hope im wrong and he ends up a great buy - got a feeling tho we may end up with one very pedestrian player in the halves in Wallace - zilch creativity - slow,slow and slower
Time will tell

franklin2323

Immortal

He didn't sign for 3 years to play NSW Cup. We wont win the comp with him, Soward and Kingston in the same team. Too slow to play off the bench. Too slow for the halves. When Kingston goes hooker seems like the only choice

franklin2323

Immortal
I know its been done adnauseam but seriously cant understand why they signed Wallace - All the Wallace fans surely couldnt have been watching him play for the broncos the last few years - anyhow as ive said before
sincerely hope im wrong and he ends up a great buy - got a feeling tho we may end up with one very pedestrian player in the halves in Wallace - zilch creativity - slow,slow and slower
Time will tell

Soward will do 90% of the ball playing/Kicking. Say we have a backline set to the left. defence sliding that way we need a 7 who will dummy and step through or chip and chase etc. Wallace isn't that type of half

grifter

Juniors
1. Moylan/Kev Naiqama
2. Mansour
3. Roberts/Kev Naiqama
4. Whare
5. Simmons
6. Soward
7. Wallace
8. Grant
9. Segeyaro
10. McKendry
11. Docker
12. Matt Robinson
13 Taylor

14. Lewis Brown
15. Nigel Plum
16. Brent Kite
17. Sika Manu

As much as it pains me to drop Kingston, I would love to see this team next year.
Bench has 1 recognised State and International Prop forward, and two blokes that are second rowers whom I think could cover Prop relatively easily (Plum and Manu).
Lewis Brown can come on to either play second rower, centre or hooker at a pinch.