What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 Team

age.s

First Grade
Wallace would be good if we had no Kingston or Humble. Like punatastic said we have had & still will have great go forward we don't do enough with the ball. We a centre short. Our props all are same style no second phase & can't break the line. The squad balance is all wrong as it was this year.

What does humble do that Wallace doesn't do a shit load better? I wouldn't want to see Humble anywhere near first grade and having Wallace makes that less likely.

I see the point with Kingston though. If a quality half becomes available in 14 I wouldn't mind seeing Kingston let go in 15 with Wallace starting in the 9 absorbing the first 20 minutes before unleashing Segs.

chrisD

Coach
My 17 would be,

1. Moylan
2. Mansour
3. Roberts
4. Whare
5. Simmons
6. Peachey
7. Soward
8. McKendry
9. Coote
10. Grant
11. Manu
12. Cartwright
13. Taylor

14. Segs
15. Plumm
16. Kite
17. Brown

Big Mick

Referee
Big Mick weren't you 1 of many on here (me included) that said we couldn't win the comp with Walsh/Burns halves?

Soward plays the same style as Walsh just better. Wallace is Burns style great in defence terrible in attack. We have enough defenders we need spark which he has none of.

As for Robinson he would be in my 17 but Kite & Kingston wouldn't be yet will be picked every week.

Correct mate. I was one of those with you on that.

I agree that Soward/Wallace isn't great but imo we'll also see that if they aren't great the wont be here long. I don't think Cleary holds any emotion towards either player so if they aren't up to it they wont play imo.

Wallace to be fair has more creativity in his pinky than Burns ever did. Soward imo is a far superior player to Walsh when he has a good pack behind him.

IMO the key will be the 1 and the 9.

With Robinson I would have had him if we hadn't of re-signed Kingston as I would have had Seg's starting and using Tyrone Peachey as the utility.

I wouldn't drop Kite for Robinson however.

One thing we do know however is that injuries will most definitely happen and judging from the reserve grade pack we have that covered with QUALITY next year as opposed to scrubs.

franklin2323

Immortal
What does humble do that Wallace doesn't do a shit load better?

I agree though lets assume Wallace is doing the depth halves/hooker role. Humble is already doing that so we have 2 in the squad doing the same role

Taking a spot of someone of a different style or a centre we are short. Wallace could do Kingston & Humble's role freeing up 2 spots in the squad.

franklin2323

Immortal
I wouldn't drop Kite for Robinson however.

Too same is the issue.

I think everyone here predicts our props to be Grant, McKendry, Kite & Plum?

All 4 are the exact same no offloads, no linebreaks nothing same with Latimore. Even Docker terrible with ball in hand.

Push Manu up suddenly with have something else then we can use Robinson off Soward.

On the halves. No issue with Soward he will close out games better then Walsh has the extra string in his bow of being about to throw a cutout pass.

Though his running game is as good as Walsh we need some one to take on the line which Wallace doesn't do.

mxlegend99

Referee
My side for Round 1 would be:

1. Kevin Naiqama
2. Josh Mansour
3. James Roberts
4. Dean Whare
5. David Simmons
6. Jamie Soward
7. Peter Wallace
8. Tim Grant (c)
9. James Segeyaro
10. Brent Kite
11. Sika Manu
12. Lewis Brown
13. Elijah Taylor

14. Nigel Plum
15. Sam McKendry
16. Second Row from: Adam Docker / Matt Robinson / Anthony Cherrington / Bryce Cartright / Vaipuna Tia Kilifi etc.
17. Utility from: Matt Moylan / Tyrone Peachey / Lachlan Coote / Daniel Foster / Kevin Kingston

I want to see a dynamic fullback with pace and strength. Matt Moylan and Lachlan Coote can spend an off-season hitting the gym and training to cover all the spine positions, but with a focus on hooker first, then halves and fullback. That way if we have injuries to the halves or fullback they should be able to slot in comfortably, but primarily spend their time from the bench coming on at hooker to give James Segeyaro a spell. Assuming they can get their bodies to a position where they could handle a big workload in defence.

The bench is really hard to pick... too many players i like to fit into two positions basically. I rate the proven guys like Kite and Taylor as certainties for first grade, likewise with Plum, McKendry, Grant, Manu and Brown. Leaving only two open spots.

The backline is also difficult... we have more then 5 players who could do a great job in those 5 positions.

Fullbacks from Moylan, Coote, Naiqama and Roberts.
Wingers from Mansour, Simmons, Naiqama, Roberts.
Centres from Whare, Roberts, Naiqama and possibly Peachey and Brown since our second row depth is huge. That's without factoring in future stars.

Halves are the easiest pick for round 1. Soward and Wallace are proven and should compliment each other well. That said they won't have an easy run should they play poorly with pressure from Isaac John, Lachlan Coote and hopefully Matt Moylan. Then there's a fairly long list of potential future halves... probably not ready next season for anything more then a token run to blood them. But guys like Foster, Scarlett, Evans, Hewitt etc. could figure into calculations if the guys above them aren't performing. Not that I see any chance of us not finding a well and truly above average halves pairing with the 4 first graders who could play in the halves. But I am confident that Wallace and Soward will be a very strong combination and well and truly above average. Not many teams can field two high quality halves. I think we're doing well for a combination of quality and experience that compliments each other.

franklin2323

Immortal
My 2014 team:

Moylan.
Mansour/Naiqama.
Roberts.
Whare.
Simmons.
Coote/John.
Soward.
McKendry.
Wallace.
Manu.
Robinson.
Brown.
Taylor:

Segeyaro.
Grant.
Plum.
Peachey.

Though realistically I can't see many changes to this years team. So Kingston. Kite, Brown in the centres etc sadly.

MrAnonymous

Bench
My Round 1 side

1.Naiqama
2.Mansour
3.Roberts
4.Whare
5.Simmons
6.Moylan
7.Soward
8.Grant
9.Segerayo
10.Mckendry
11.Manu
12.Brown
13.Taylor

14.Wallace
15.Plum
16.Kite
17.Docker

18th man Peachy

Nugget10

Juniors
My side

1. Moylan
2. Mansour
3. Roberts
4. Whare
5. Simmons
6. Soward
7. Wallace
8. Kite
9. Segs
10 Grant
11. Manu
12. Brown
13. Taylor

14. Coote
15. McKendry
16. Plum
17. Docker

I can see Coote doing a Gidley and playing super sub

kiwipete

Juniors
2014 team

Moylan
Naiqama K
Mansour
Whare
Simmons
Soward
Wallace
Docker
Brown
Manu
Grant
Kingston
Plum

McHendry
Taylor
Segs
Kite

Extended Bench [To cover the injured in a long season]
Cartwright
Anderson
VTK
Cherrington
Latimore
O'Donnell

PinkPanther

Juniors
Moylan
Mansour/Naiqama
Roberts/Naiqama
Whare
Simmons
Soward
Wallace
Grant
Kingston
Kite
Manu
Brown
Taylor

Segeyaro
Mckendry
Plum
Peachey

pantherpuddy

Juniors
1- Moylan
2- Mansour
3- Roberts
4- Whare
5- Simmons
6- Soward
7- Wallace
8- Kite
9- Kingston
10- Grant
11- Manu
12- Taylor
13- Docker

14- Segeyaro
15- McKendry
16- Plum
17- Robinson

18- Brown
19- Peachey
20- John
21- K Naiqama
22- Cartwright

Its when u try and pick a top 17 that u really notice our depth for 2014 it will be a strong competitive squad I couldn't even fit in Anderson Cherington or Tia Kilifi

I know Kingston is going to be picked to play the same role but it's such a waste. He offers nothing playing in the backrow

pantherpuddy

Juniors
With all our forward depth next year if Kingston isn't playing hooker then he shouldn't be on the field no excuses. We will have good forwards missing out on selection so Kingston should NEVER be playing in the backrow again

franklin2323

Immortal
So with a few leaving and a few coming in what will our Top 25 be?

Well I hope a few others such as Tighe and Naiqama go but so far:

Moylan
Mansour
Roberts
Whare
Simmons
Tighe
Naiqama
Naiqama
Wallace
Soward
John
Humble
Kite
Plum
Grant
McKendry
Latimore
Manu
Brown
Taylor
Docker
Robinson
Kingston
Segeyaro
Peachey

franklin2323

Immortal
They should put Cartwright in the squad.

Yeah but can't see where. No one outside the 25 man squad can earn more then someone in it. Even Humble minimum wage means he has to stay in the squad.

Even then Cherrington, Smith and Anderson

Latest posts