What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 Team

franklin2323

Immortal
W Naiqama is just taking up space in our 25 - He needs to go imo

Agree. Jennings can do the exact same job though has the room to improve to being a decent FG at worst.

If I had my way: Wes, Tighe, Humble, Kingston out - In Nabuli, Jennings, Cartwright and Foster

betcats

Referee
Hopefully we dont have such a bad injury run this year and dont have to worry about getting exceptions to givee guys like Carty a run.

franklin2323

Immortal
Hopefully we dont have such a bad injury run this year and dont have to worry about getting exceptions to givee guys like Carty a run.

Though we have a decent squad we don't get injuries those guys wont get a run. Just too much depth

betcats

Referee
Yeah i know what you mean, there will no doubt be injuries though just hopefully not as bad as last season. We will see guys make their debut for us next season, maybe not Cartwright, but some will, atleast I am fairly confident of it.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah i know what you mean, there will no doubt be injuries though just hopefully not as bad as last season. We will see guys make their debut for us next season, maybe not Cartwright, but some will, atleast I am fairly confident of it.

Yeah Hopefully when the draw comes out there's a few games even if we are pushing for a top 8 spot that we can blood a few 3-4 games atleast would be good

maple_69

Bench
Don't worry. There will be injuries.
Otherwise the team should be strong enough to rest a Manu for a week or two to give a Cartwright a shot. Not everyone of these players will perform either.

maple_69

Bench
First choice/first drop/second drop

1. Moylan/Roberts/Moss
2. Mansour/Naiqama/Nabuli
3. Roberts/Naiqama/Peachey
4. Whare/Naiqama/Peachey
5. Simmons/Naiqama/Nabuli
6. Soward/John/Peachey
7. Wallace/John/Foster
8. Plum/Kite/Mckendry
9. Segeyaro/Kingston/Foster
10. Grant/Kite/Mckendry
11. Brown/Robinson/Docker
12. Manu/Robinson/Docker
13. Taylor/Docker/Peachey
14. Mckendry/Latimore/Anderson
15. Kite/Latimore/Anderson
16. Robinson/Peachey/Cherrington
17. Docker/Peachey/Cherrington

NSW Cup
1. Moss
2. Nabuli
3. Naiqama
4. Jennings
5. Watene-Zelesniak
6. John
7. Foster
8. Latimore
9. Kingston
10. Anderson
11. Cherrington
12. Tia Kilifi
13. Peachey
14. O'Donnell
15. Campbell-Gillard
16. Cartwright
17. Moseley

mxlegend99

Referee
My ideal team would be:

Backline:
1 - James Roberts
2 - Josh Mansour (left winger)
3 - Tyrone Peachey (left centre)
4 - Dean Whare (right centre)
5 - Kevin Naiqama (right winger)

Halves:
6 - Jamie Soward
7 - Peter Wallace

Forwards:
8 - Tim Grant
9 - James Segeyaro
10 - Brent Kite
11 - Lewis Brown (left side)
12 - Sika Manu (right side)
13 - Elijah Taylor

Bench:
14 - Matt Moylan (utility)
15 - Sam McKendry (front row - interchange with Kite)
16 - Nigel Plum (front row - interchance with Grant)
17 - Matt Robinson / Adam Docker (rotate depending on who seems better fitted for the opposition that week)

Notes
Fullback - I love Moylan and think he will have a longer first grade career if we make the call to turn him into a utility now. He's just a bit slow for a long term fullback option. IMO his skillset would allow for him to make an exceptional supersub from the bench, assuming he can bulk up a bit over the off-season and cope with a bigger defensive workload. I think he could develop his game to eventually replace one of our halves if they don't fire, get injured or if he comes along quickly enough that he MUST be in the team. Meanwhile James Roberts is exceptionally quick and as long as we can work on his hands he would be an unreal attacking weapon from fullback. Especially if he learns to support the right players and they get an offload away - no one is stopping him if that happens.

Wingers - Josh Mansour gets through a mountain of work and people thought that was all he offered. But he proved toward the end of the season he has some finishing ability to and scored a few nice tries. But for me the workload he offers is why he is a must select... tries aren't something you can rely on every week. Hitups, offloads, metres gained, tackle breaks etc. Kevin Naiqama is on the other wing as he is an exceptional athlete and I think would be the ideal player to finish off the Dean Whare brilliance. As good as Simmons has been this year, he is still reasonably slow for a winger and not overly strong... and he would have had many more tries if he had one or both of those assets. I believe the Kevin Naiqama does.

Centres - Tyrone Peachey is pretty slim, but the guy is a tackle breaking freak and has some ball playing skills. With our second row depth, I want to see him in the centres. Team him up with Josh Mansour down the left side and have James Roberts support them whenever the ball travels down that side... it's hard to imagine us not scoring a heap of tries. Dean Whare on the right was the best decision we made in 2013. The guy is a gun centre and his winger is exceptionally lucky to have him.

Halves - Picked themselves basically. But part of having Moylan on the bench is so that he can develop his skills as a half in first grade. If he can learn the best of both Soward and Wallace while they're here, he could be an exceptional player. His ball playing skills from fullback were strong, and I just hope that a couple of experienced halves can help him develop into a first grade half. As that's where his future lies IMO. Plus it's a much harder position to find quality players with good heads on their shoulders.

I think the forward pack basically explains itself. I'd have Kite starting so that we have more impact from the bench. The second rower is the hardest spot in the side to fill... as there are just too many quality second rowers who could do a good job. Hence trying to rotate the spot and pick the player with strengths that might be needed against different teams.

I agree with you most of the time mx but what does Moylan offer from the bench if everything is working? I want 4 forwards on the bench. With having Brown and Peachey in the 17 we have enough cover.

kiwipete

Juniors
First choice/first drop/second drop

1. Moylan/Roberts/Moss
2. Mansour/Naiqama/Nabuli
3. Roberts/Naiqama/Peachey
4. Whare/Naiqama/Peachey
5. Simmons/Naiqama/Nabuli
6. Soward/John/Peachey
7. Wallace/John/Foster
8. Plum/Kite/Mckendry
9. Segeyaro/Kingston/Foster
10. Grant/Kite/Mckendry
11. Brown/Robinson/Docker
12. Manu/Robinson/Docker
13. Taylor/Docker/Peachey
14. Mckendry/Latimore/Anderson
15. Kite/Latimore/Anderson
16. Robinson/Peachey/Cherrington
17. Docker/Peachey/Cherrington

NSW Cup
1. Moss
2. Nabuli
3. Naiqama
4. Jennings
5. Watene-Zelesniak
6. John
7. Foster
8. Latimore
9. Kingston
10. Anderson
11. Cherrington
12. Tia Kilifi
13. Peachey
14. O'Donnell
15. Campbell-Gillard
16. Cartwright
17. Moseley

How good does our depth look?? And half of our NSW Cup side have played first grade already! Top 8 in 2014 too much to expect?? I don't think so.

Pomoz

Bench
MX, how can you in good conscience drop Simmons for Mansour? Simmons was the best winger last year and until another player proves otherwise and at the moment Mansour hasn't proved so, he should be selected. Mansour could become a better winger, but so far he hasn't delivered a better season than the one Simmons had last year. Your comments about Simmon's lack of pace don't make sense. He topped the try scorers list, in spite of his lack of pace. Are you saying he could have scored even more and blown every winger in the NRL out of the water? He obviously has some qualities that make up for his lack of pace, such as positional sense and timing. Pace is only one aspect of being a winger.

Simmo killed it and had a good year but even Purtell would look decent outside Whare. Whare is brilliant at setting up his winger.
It's a good problem we have, Kevin Naiqama didn't come here to play NSW cup. Knights fans have massive wraps on him

mxlegend99

Referee
MX, how can you in good conscience drop Simmons for Mansour? Simmons was the best winger last year and until another player proves otherwise and at the moment Mansour hasn't proved so, he should be selected. Mansour could become a better winger, but so far he hasn't delivered a better season than the one Simmons had last year. Your comments about Simmon's lack of pace don't make sense. He topped the try scorers list, in spite of his lack of pace. Are you saying he could have scored even more and blown every winger in the NRL out of the water? He obviously has some qualities that make up for his lack of pace, such as positional sense and timing. Pace is only one aspect of being a winger.

Mansour is by far the better winger. He kills it regardless of the team around him, and showed at the end of the season he can finish tries as good as Simmo can. Mansour will contribute every week. Simmo cant always be relied upon.

And yeah... He could have had more tries if quicker and/or stronger. His centre gifted him some great opportunities. Throw a better winger in and you get
More tries.

Latest posts