What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 Team

Doomednow

Bench
I'm going to be reserving judgement till about Round 5. I have high hopes for Soward and I think Wallace will do a good enough job.

I'm always optimistic in the off season though.

soc123_au

Staff member
Soward is more than capable of breaking the line. The f**ker is seriously quick through a gap when he takes the defence on. I am keeping my fingers crossed that he is told to play to the line. I think he was told to play to a game plan that didn't suit him under Price.

mxlegend99

Referee
Soward is more than capable of breaking the line. The f**ker is seriously quick through a gap when he takes the defence on. I am keeping my fingers crossed that he is told to play to the line. I think he was told to play to a game plan that didn't suit him under Price.
Agreed. He has great acceleration and would easily be one of the quicker halves. His highlight reels from the Bennett era are full of linebreaks. Also some of the most precise kicking you could hope to see. If he brings his running game with him, we wont need much at all from our halfback. Just a good defender who can get the the ball to Sowie.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
John had injuries & imo the best half Johnson over take him. Showed glimpses then.

Wallace had one of the best to learn from. When it was his time to stand up had nothing

Like he said Walsh & Coote were our long best halves?

both now gone.. We will make the 8 no matter who is Soward's half partner.

To be more then making up the numbers in the 8. We need atleast 1 that can break the line. Wallace nor Soward can do that.

Who was John competing with at Wakefield?? No one special, it's not as though Shaun Johnson was keeping him out of that team, comes back to Cleary and he's back in first grade.

All I'm saying is that Ivan knows how to coach halves and if he wants those two, it's for a reason.

chrisD

Coach
Wes is unfairly dogged around here but there's no way he deserves to or will run on ahead of Simmons. Plum is a front rower now and there's little chance Taylor will not play up the middle.

Panthercam

Juniors
The line up will be...
1. Moylan
2. Mansour
3. Peachey/brown
4. Whare
5. K naiqama/nabuli/ Simmons
6. Soward
7. Wallace/John
8. Kite
9. Segeyaro
10. Grant
11. Manu
12. Robinson
13. Taylor

14. Kingston
15. Mc kendry
16. Docker
17. Plum

ACTPanthers

Bench
You may well, I just haven't seen them. As long as you don't persist with David "minto" Simmons you'll be fine. Wes is a bit past it I admit, maybe give a young fijian a go.

Yeah, because the equal leading try scorer for the 2013 regular season is useless... :sarcasm:

Last edited:

ACTPanthers

Bench
Yes, he is.

Who was the other leading try scorer? Ash Graham, lol, if anyone is worse than simmons it's probably Ash Graham.

Ha ha fair enough - But even my left nut has more skill then Wes N - So I'd have Simmo over him anyday

franklin2323

Immortal
All I'm saying is that Ivan knows how to coach halves and if he wants those two, it's for a reason.

When Coote came John stayed that means he wants him as well. He wanted Walsh as well look at how that went.

Wallace is 28. Going into his 9th season played under 4 coaches. Bennett aside inside Lockyer has struggled.

franklin2323

Immortal
I don't rate Simmo very highly but he should have a wing spot round 1

Yep. The point of rebuilding is to develop a good side. The right side of Whare/Simmons were great & I can't see it being changed.

As for Soward. He should play the style that he's comfortable with we tried to change Walsh & it failed. Wallace & John are different styles and can compliment either.

what ever

Juniors
Lets give him a pre season in Penrith colours hey? We have options there, obviously the two in best form should form the halves combo. This will likely change during the year at different times.

There is no use death riding him before he has even had a days training in panther colours. This time last season Isaac John was struggling in reserve grade in England and look how quickly he turned it around.
Competition for spots is the key to success and this is something we have built significantly in recent times ;) I am sure Wallace will improve during the year under this environment (back to how he used to play)

John wasn't struggling in reserve grade in England. Oversea's players are ineligible to play in the reserve grade over there. So he wasn't able to play full stop unless for the top grade. And the article said the coach wouldn't play him whether he deserved it or not. It has now come to light that Wakefield Wildcats tried to lighten their load due too the club being in big financial sh*t. They have got rid of Tim Smith POTY MVP, Paul Aiton POTY, Jason Poore and quite a few other oversea players in the last couple of months. All just pawns.
What they did to John was sad. Waste of a year with no games or upskilling. Hopefully his confidence will grow.

Randy81

Juniors
John wasn't struggling in reserve grade in England. Oversea's players are ineligible to play in the reserve grade over there. So he wasn't able to play full stop unless for the top grade. And the article said the coach wouldn't play him whether he deserved it or not. It has now come to light that Wakefield Wildcats tried to lighten their load due too the club being in big financial sh*t. They have got rid of Tim Smith POTY MVP, Paul Aiton POTY, Jason Poore and quite a few other oversea players in the last couple of months. All just pawns.
What they did to John was sad. Waste of a year with no games or upskilling. Hopefully his confidence will grow.

The point is that he turned around his career and is thriving under a new environment. I couldn't care less about Wakefields woes.
Players can quite often thrive in a different team - look at inu, horo, Mateo, fifita...
Who's to say Wallace couldn't do the same?

maple_69

Bench
On a sidenote there are some pretty juicey odds to be had for penrith next season. We're rated 11/12 with odds off $26 for the premiership, only $3 ahead of the dragons. $2.65 on a top 8 bet ie very nice odds i think. I'd have us about $2.

soc123_au

Staff member
Might put a few dollars on us making the 8. The premiership is a bit of a stretch at this stage.

Latest posts