What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 Crowd Watch part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canard

Immortal
Local modern stadiums, better scheduling, accepting we might need to take a little less money in the next deal to control scheduling and fan friendly fixture times, expansion to bring in another Brisbane team and Perth team that has potential for decent crowds, funding increase to clubs to cover a $5 child admission price for any seat at any game at any ground, funding clubs to take low drawing games on the road to places that will draw decent crowds and help grow the game, better marketing of special rounds and in general of games, a Sydney game of the week played on a sunday afternoon at ANZ with major marketing And event status with free admissions to members of both clubs and reduced admission for members of other clubs

Just a few suggestions I've made to increase crowds off the top of my head! One things for sure I do t accept mediocrity and just shrug and say that at least people are watching on TV!

You seriously lay claim that those are ideas you have come up with??

f**k me, your delusional.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I keep hearing this rubbish about it being hard to get to ANZ... there are 8 parking stations within walking distance, free trains to every game (right to the door) and for the bigger game, buses go direct too.

Dutchy

Immortal
I keep hearing this rubbish about it being hard to get to ANZ... there are 8 parking stations within walking distance, free trains to every game (right to the door) and for the bigger game, buses go direct too.

Yeah, but it's a shithole.

beave

Coach
A few mates and I had a discusion last night at the footy.

If you were to build a 65k Suncorp-esque stadium in Sydney, where do you put it

A) Homebush

or

B) Moore Park

We were split 2-2, I would prefer it at Homebush but on the proviso some extra shit is built in the area to help the gameday experience (bars and so forth). There really is no perfect area though. I can't think of any free/open land near the CBD/rail lines that would be able to accomodate a stadium of that size.

undertaker

Coach
Good question. I'd love to know what those 57k paid to get in though. I'm going to guess a lot less.

Even if it was a lot less and those ticket prices from 1993 were offered for last night's match, it still wouldn't have got anywhere near the 52k capacity of Suncorp.

Brutus

Referee
What happened to the 57,212 that turned up to watch the last-placed Gold Coast side at QE II Stadium back in 1993?

What happened to the the 58k that turned up to the Broncos v Dragons in the rain on a Friday night at ANZ/QEII Stadium in 93?

58k at the worst ground for footy in the country.

undertaker

Coach
What happened to the the 58k that turned up to the Broncos v Dragons in the rain on a Friday night at ANZ/QEII Stadium in 93?

58k at the worst ground for footy in the country.

Yes, that too, but I was more specifically referring to the Gold Coast match, made more remarkable by the fact it was during the Origin period.

The last round match against the Dragons was potentially for the minor premiership, back when making the top 5 finals was more prestigious compared to today where a team can scrape into the finals in 8th position with less than a 50% W-L ratio.

The Broncos had four 50k+ crowds at QE II Stadium during that first year in 1993. After that, the only 2 times they cracked 50k was the last round match against the Warriors in 1995 (54,645) and the 1997 Super League GF (58,912). What also concerns me is that attendance to their marquee home game against the Cowboys - which cracked 50k in 2007 and 2008 - has declined to around 40k at a more superior stadium (Suncorp) in a more accessible part of Brisbane.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
A few mates and I had a discusion last night at the footy.

If you were to build a 65k Suncorp-esque stadium in Sydney, where do you put it

A) Homebush

or

B) Moore Park

We were split 2-2, I would prefer it at Homebush but on the proviso some extra shit is built in the area to help the gameday experience (bars and so forth). There really is no perfect area though. I can't think of any free/open land near the CBD/rail lines that would be able to accomodate a stadium of that size.

Parramatta - hands down. Would be at a rail hub for most of Sydney. Homebush might have trains to the door but when you have to change trains 2-3 times to get there this represents a serious deterance to potential crowds.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Yes, that too, but I was more specifically referring to the Gold Coast match, made more remarkable by the fact it was during the Origin period.

The last round match against the Dragons was potentially for the minor premiership, back when making the top 5 finals was more prestigious compared to today where a team can scrape into the finals in 8th position with less than a 50% W-L ratio.

The Broncos had four 50k+ crowds at QE II Stadium during that first year in 1993. After that, the only 2 times they cracked 50k was the last round match against the Warriors in 1995 (54,645) and the 1997 Super League GF (58,912). What also concerns me is that attendance to their marquee home game against the Cowboys - which cracked 50k in 2007 and 2008 - has declined to around 40k at a more superior stadium (Suncorp) in a more accessible part of Brisbane.

Do you live in Brisbane?

CC_Roosters

First Grade

I agree, most accessible stadium in sydney.

Souths crowds have been very underwhelming this season. Aside from the opening rounds against the tigers and roosters they haven't broken 15k at homebush

mave

Coach
Yep.
ANZ is very accessable. Parking is easy enough. Trains are ok ( as long as the Bulldogs don't lose).

I still dont get why they shove the away supporters bay on the shittiest viewing corner when there are swathes of empty seats/ bays all over the stadium. The footy stadium does it too, but at least the view there is quality. Suncorp the same.
That's my biggest deterrent to ANZ

Saint Doc

Coach
Yep.
ANZ is very accessable. Parking is easy enough. Trains are ok ( as long as the Bulldogs don't lose).

I still dont get why they shove the away supporters bay on the shittiest viewing corner when there are swathes of empty seats/ bays all over the stadium. The footy stadium does it too, but at least the view there is quality. Suncorp the same.
That's my biggest deterrent to ANZ

Sit where you want! It's not like anybody checks.

woodyk2

First Grade
14,603 at ANZ last night. Surely that would look better on tv at a suburban ground....if there was one.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
why doesn't it hold 25k+ anymore?

Apart from different safety protocol these days, they've also closed off the northern (train line) standing area, so it's effectively like Gosford where it's a three-sided stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts