What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 Crowd Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Turn shark park into an oval and kick Cronulla out of the NRL and into the AFL.

It'll bring the averages closer from both ends.

DC_fan

Coach
I cant see the Souths/Roosters game getting anywhere near that figure, but I hope Im wrong.

we are past the time of expecting and being happy with crowds of around 30,000. Fans instead of bitching about small crowds need to get off their asses and attend games. There is no reason why their should not be 40,000 plus for the game tomorrow. I will be there and I expect all Souths and Roosters fans to be also.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Greater Parra v Bulldogs H/A crowds than tonight since 1947:

30394 15-Aug-2014
31102 13-Jul-2012
30687 15-Apr-2011
34662 23-Jul-2010
31991 30-Apr-2010
31664 25-Jul-2009
42717 13-Mar-2004

So tonight is a 9th decile crowd and about average for the last 10 years.

Serious question: how many of those were Dogs home games?
Eels fans get allocated a tiny supporters area, and (for unknown reasons) dont seem to flock to ANZ unless it is labelled an Eels home game.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Answered my own question. Only twice have the Dogs had a standalone home crowd vs Eels higher than last night.
Good job Dogs.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Serious question: how many of those were Dogs home games?
Eels fans get allocated a tiny supporters area, and (for unknown reasons) dont seem to flock to ANZ unless it is labelled an Eels home game.

With some exceptions like good friday and anzac day that seems to be a problem with league fans in general. I think many don't understand the principle of shared gates at the big stadia, how many people are unaware their membership gets them into bulldogs v eels when its technically a doggies home game.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
How about instead of plucking fantasy figures from thin air and then winging when they aren't reached we use our brains to predict a crowd?

Souths v Easts have only drawn 30k+ to two SA H/A games. One was the exceptional 59708 to round 26 in 2013. Today will be less than that as there is much less at stake.

The other was 32125 back in 2007. Again, late season in Round 25 so more at stake. Souths have come on a bit since then , so this is a reasonable high estimate.

Traditional R1 fixtures at the SFS draw from 27k to 35k - but the sfs is a more favourable venue for both fansets, and now is not the first round, so 35k is probably over.

Final estimate - 30k to 32k, so, I don't know, 31679

Calls for 40k+ are but wishful thinking and saying "this game should really bring in an x crowd" is a baseless assumption.

Last edited:
How about instead of plucking fantasy figures from thin air and then winging when they aren't reached we use our brains to predict a crowd?

Souths v Easts have only drawn 30k+ to two SA H/A games. One was the exceptional 59708 to round 26 in 2013. Today will be less than that as there is much less at stake.

The other was 32125 back in 2007. Again, late season in Round 25 so more at stake. Souths have come on a bit since then , so this is a reasonable high estimate.

Traditional R1 fixtures at the SFS draw from 27k to 35k - but the sfs is a more favourable venue for both fansets, and now is not the first round, so 35k is probably over.

Final estimate - 30k to 32k, so, I don't know, 31679

Calls for 40k+ are but wishful thinking and saying "this game should really bring in an x crowd" is a baseless assumption.

Did someone forget to tell you to leave common sense at the door before posting in this thread?

taipan

Referee
Brisbane need a second team, the Broncos aren't the draw they once were although News Ltd and 9 think they are. Brisbane is about 50:50 fans/not fans. A second team will bring a lot to Brisbane in the way of crowd support.

Sydney however is over saturated and it shows when there are sub 10k crowds. Anything under 14-15k should not be a pass mark

Brisbane need a 2nd team agreed,but let's not kid ourselves about crowds.The game against Souths by the Broncos should have been over 40,000.

The crowds at the Sharks was ordinary as was the game ,but rain and an 8-35pm start with an out of town team is not going to get you 15,000,at neither Penrith,Cowboys,Manly,Campbelltown,Jubilee,Win or even Canberra.

fanatique

Juniors
Poor crowd.

We are all great at predicting what SHOULD happen attendance wise and then pronouncing what does happen to be "poor" but by what historical standard is that a poor crowd.

The Dogs and Eels had met 10 times at the same stadium in the previous 5 seasons averaging about 27,400.

Perhaps the fixture "should" attract 35,000, perhaps it "could" perhaps it "ought to" but it "does" attract figures in the high 20s. That is par for the course.

It was a reasonable and predictable turnout. Perhaps 1,000 to 1,500 off what could have been hoped for - I thought it would be about 30,000 - but in no way "poor"

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
28,876 is outstanding when you consider:

- WSW game across town
- CRO game also on in Sydney
- GWS trial next door
- Poor weather
- Poor marketing

Obviously all of the above won't have a huge impact, but we know in Sydney it doesn't take much for people to decide not to attend games, and all or any of the above are certainly valid enough.

parrawentyfan

Juniors
Agree with Timmah.

The WSW and NRL crowds were both impacted by the clash. Some of the gaps in the crowd at Parra were WSW members who are also Eels and Dogs members

Diesel

Referee
Two Friday night games is an overkill, especially in the same city. Friday being harder to get to the game. Hopefully the next tv deal there is only one Friday game and make that something special, like the old Sunday arvo games used to be

Broncos/Cowboys next Friday will show the rest of the NRL what a real blockbuster crowd looks like. Under 30k is no blockbuster just average.

BlueandGold

Juniors
Two Friday night games is an overkill, especially in the same city. Friday being harder to get to the game. Hopefully the next tv deal there is only one Friday game and make that something special, like the old Sunday arvo games used to be

So like this Sundays game Souths vs Roosters. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.