What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 Fullback

simmo1

First Grade
Hoffman surely must be on the outer at Brisbane with Milford and Barba both there, and being constantly played out of position. Can't really think of much else that may be on the market though.

In saying that, I'd be happy with Simona at fullback and try bringing through one of the younger guys at centre.

hutch

First Grade
I'd be offering Darius Boyd big cash right about now. Thats if we are not broke we should have matched the offer fullbacks are too important in the modern game.

I don't want that merkin anywhere near the club. Massively overrated and a tool as well.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Mate, Lawrence and Koro on the same edge would be woeful.

But I do agree with you on Simona at FB if Rowe doesn't work out.

I like that back 5 actually. Everyone is saying how bad Koribete is.

Other young wingers with big wraps have been shown up at times. Jorge Taufua had a shocking game under the highball against the knights the other week.

The reality is that Koro is too good for reserve grade. His try scoring record is proof of that.

If Charlie's back line saw out the rest of the season,, id be more than pleased. I'd certainly have no issue with teddy playing reserves.

The current transfer system (with players signing mid season) is ridiculous.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Mitchell Moses.

X2

Mitchs strength is his running game but he also has a good pass. He is small and playing at 5/8 making 20+ tackles a game in first grade would be tough. Austin given a good run at 5/8 is also appealing. It would give us a huge about of strike power IMO

magpie guy

Juniors
My choice would be Simona at the back with Nofa centre and Koro wing. Simona is a fantastic broken play runner with no fear, a great fend and just needs more ball to make an impact. Nofa would go fine at centre imo and is better in crash ball situations, ie- gets more metres and better play the balls when he has to take the ball up in traffic. Koro is a great finisher and I don't think Nofa at centre is much weaker in defence than Simona.

The other option is bringing Moses into fullback as an introduction to NRL football before he bulks up and goes to 5/8. If he has the running game and passing game that people are saying he has then fullback should protect him from a lot of the defence that he otherwise would have to deal with at 5/8.

edit - In either case an offseason of training is enough to teach positioning for fullback play. The things that cannot be taught are broken play runs and fearless hitups.

Tigerm

Coach
What's everyone's thought on young Sirro or maybe Austin, he seems to fit in well in any position. Though I think he (Austin) will be the next 5/8 when we wake up that Anasta isn't working.

WT Unity

Juniors
Mitchell Moses.

I think the Mitchell Moses option will definitely be considered for 2015!

A lot of support for Simona to go to fullback but I'm not so sure he's a natural #1. In the modern game with the structure of halves playing either side of the ruck Fullback is the new 5/8 and it's definitely best if they have a passing game. A lot will depend on the way the team progresses throughout the remainder of the season....

*The longer we're in the hunt the more it will be about this years result - less experimenting
*Will Austin get his chance to play more regularly @ 6
*If so Moses may see some game time not necessarily at fullback but simply to blood him
*If Austin is good and Moses gets experience this year followed by a full off-season training at FB then maybe that's the answer

Just as an FYI - In the junior NSW v QLD game tonight Balmain's Harold Matthews (U16 rep) Fullback (Ryan Papenhuyzen) is playing (starting off the bench I think as the back utility) - Not putting it out there as a solution as he is obviously a long way away...just saying the production line is still strong

Magpie Tragic

Juniors
Has anyone seen that Reggies fullback (can't remember his name, but it's Middle Eastern sounding) play, He is out injured at the moment but heard some good things about him.

This weeks lineup
1. Jy Hitchcox
2. Marika Koroibete
3. Asipeli Fine
4. Sitaleki Akauola
5. Setefano Taukafa
6. Mitchell Moses
7. Michael Stevens
8. Nathan Brown
9. Dayne Craig this bloke went well last week, albeit only against Newcastle
10. Jack Buchanan
11. Curtis Sironen

This bloke, any thoughts??? Daniel Abou-Sleiman
12. Jarred Farlow (capt.)
13. Kyle Lovett
Interchange
14. Michaell Bullock
15. Andy Fiagatusa
16. Brenden Santi
17. Dene Halatau
18. Inno Inosesio
19. Corey Brown
20. Sam Hollis

Daniel Abou-Sleiman, any thoughts????

Last edited:

Mascot Tiger

Juniors
Valentine Holmes from the sharks ( about time we poached someone from them ) his main position is FB but can play wing and centre. Represented QLD in under 20s. Apparently we have sounded out his manager too!

My number 1 choice though

Tom Trbojevic from Manly NYC. Wouldn't be expensive only 18 and currently stuck behind Stewart and Hiku.
I have seen him play a couple of times and he is going to be quite the player. Tall, good under the high ball. Very good support play.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was of the belief he had resigned with the Sharks for 3 years earlier this year (about a month ago)

Cowboys were sniffing after him.

He has one main issue when at fullback, he doesn't speak much.

Communication is very important in your backline, so he'll need to fix that.

Other than that, the kid has a shirtload of natural ability and talent, is fast as f**k, has good strength, is becoming a good ball player and is definitely going to become a first grader.

Perth Tiger

Bench
What is the status with Clinton Gutherson (sp) from Manly? Was he the one who play for NSW under 20s this year? Seems stuck behind a few at Manly and might be looking for a go

I may be wrong but every time i have seen Moses play he has been reluctant to run the ball,seemed more interested in just ball playing even though he is quite quick.

ucantseeme

Juniors
Considering some of Potter's most recent signings (Richards, Paterson, Lulia) he will be looking at Super League to snag a bargain.

Radical Rat

Juniors
The most annoying thing about Tedesco leaving is that he's not even on big coin at the moment, so it's not like we now have heaps of cash to spend.

If we were going to give Ted (300-400k) plus Anasta (200k) retiring that leaves us with some $$$$ unless it has already been allocated else where.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pretty sure Moltzen's contract ends this year.

And I hear there's talk that Paterson won't be here next year either.

Surely that frees up a fair bit of coin.

Radical Rat

Juniors
If we were going to give Ted (300-400k) plus Anasta (200k) retiring that leaves us with some $$$$ unless it has already been allocated else where.

I think if we had found 400k for Tedesco then other players would have been shed. So I don't think that money is exactly surplus.

But yes Anasta + Patterson (as is speculated) might give us a little room.