What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 Team

perverse

Referee
How are we feeling about Jimmy at the moment? Played Origin this year, but might be the 3rd or 4th best winger we have at the club next year.

Burns

First Grade
Jimmy is a good, solid player who has traditionally been best in defence and under the high ball. Form was a bit out of sorts this years and has been a bit marred by injury. He is a great clubman and is definitely someone who I think should we should try and maintain. Yet I dont think at 28 years of age McManus can do what Chanel and Sione did today, the're tries were speed and athleticism.

It's a tough call for mine.

Swarzey

Bench
Man, Jimmy is a bloke I want the club to hold onto, and would be gutted if we moved him on, but don't want to see Chanel held back. I think Chanel only really has speed over McManus, both are excellent finishers and incredibly reliable under the high ball. Same goes for Mamo and the entire situation is no different with Aku.

It's the problem I absolutely hate. Love all of them, want to keep them all.

perverse

Referee
I think Jimmy might have a role in NSW Cup, similar to Timana the past couple of years. Aku has got to be on notice, too. These kids won't be denied much longer.

Burwood

Bench
How are we feeling about Jimmy at the moment? Played Origin this year, but might be the 3rd or 4th best winger we have at the club next year.

Uate, McManus and Sione should be battling it out for the two wing spots next year. Ideally, Sione would be fullback, but I don't see Gidley playing elsewhere.

Mamo is the player I still have question marks over. No doubting his enthusiasm, talent and speed, but he is continuously getting physically dominated by the opposition. Chanel and Sione have leapfrogged him in the pecking order already by the looks of it.

Burns

First Grade
Wow, I forgot all about Mamo :?

This is a good problem to have moving into next season, but also one where I hope we dont have to lose any of our young talent. How did Mamo go in the U/20's today?

Noname36

First Grade
Honestly I'm not feeling all the Chanel love. He's very good but I've seen nothing special to suggest he'll hold McManus or Uate back.

Now Sione is special. He's gotta be in the side somewhere.

perverse

Referee
Well, potentially for money... and the chance to succeed McManus. Chanel isn't the one we need to be desperate to keep, anyway. I think he'll be a good first grader, but Sione is on another level. At the end of the day, the brothers will have the choice to stay in Newcastle and build a legacy here. I'm sure we'll try to keep Chanel and Sione at least, if not Pat too.

It's one of those calls that will define stone and matt gids, do they maintain the status quo or be hard and go for the gold?

macavity

Referee
Mamo was head and shoulders the best on the park today in NYC. He bounces around like a pinball like circa 2002 Anthony Minichiello. Yes he needs to put about 5kg on, but that can be done in an offseason. He is going to be a special player, as is Sione.

I will make the bold prediction that Jimmy and probably Aku won't be starting on the wing in 2016.

Yosh

Coach
Mamo was head and shoulders the best on the park today in NYC. He bounces around like a pinball like circa 2002 Anthony Minichiello. Yes he needs to put about 5kg on, but that can be done in an offseason. He is going to be a special player, as is Sione.

I will make the bold prediction that Jimmy and probably Aku won't be starting on the wing in 2016.

Aku + Kidley + Boyd + McManus is a lot of money considering they can easily be replaced with what we have in the squad already.

Frederick

Staff member

Agreed. Mamo has natural instincts that can't be taught. I see him as our long term fullback once Gids pisses off. Even though Bennett has had Mamo on wing and Sione at fullback, I'd swap them around. Sione's size, speed and strength is perfect for the outside backs, and Mamo is the perfect fullback...safe as houses, elusive, always sniffing around the ruck looking for an offload, decent playmaking ability, and is able to play what's in front of him, rather than sticking to the script like a certain other fullback we had today

Rod

Bench
I think throwing Uate in the Gidley/Boyd 'lost cause' bracket is a bit premature.

Noname36

First Grade
Agreed. Mamo has natural instincts that can't be taught. I see him as our long term fullback once Gids pisses off. Even though Bennett has had Mamo on wing and Sione at fullback, I'd swap them around. Sione's size, speed and strength is perfect for the outside backs, and Mamo is the perfect fullback...safe as houses, elusive, always sniffing around the ruck looking for an offload, decent playmaking ability, and is able to play what's in front of him, rather than sticking to the script like a certain other fullback we had today

Agree. To be honest I think Mamo is natural fullback and Sione is a natural centre. If we're keeping Gidley another year at fullback then Mamo should spend next year in NSW Cup (and coming into FG to cover injuries) being groomed as our long term fullback.

Unfortunately I think one of McManus or Uate will need to make way for Sione next year. He's just that special. We can't take the risk of leaving him in lower grades because another club will swoop. Ideally though I see him long-term at centre which is his best position and BJ in the forwards IMO.

I believe Sione will be spoken about in the same sentence as Hayne and Inglis in 5-10 years. The kid is marquee all the way. Not since Joey have i seen an obvious future champion evolve from this club. Size, balance and pace all in abundance and he is barely an adult. Stone has one priority signing. Upgrade him now and piss off whoever it takes to keep him as he is a player your build a club around. Bennett said it. Future captain , and if we do not guaranteed a Benny led Broncs will. Don't buy for a second Bennett will not try to persuade him.

Last edited:

Frederick

Staff member
1. Mamo
2. C. Mata'utia
3. S. Mata'utia
4. Gagai
5. Uate
6. Mullen
7. Roberts
8. Snowden
9. Clydesdale