What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 Team

Frederick

Staff member
I didn't say send them packing - I said offer them new contracts based on what they're worth as depth players (Chanel would obviously deserve a pay rise after playing FG). They shouldn't get huge contracts based on their last name.

As much as I love Sione, The side as a whole is more important and I wouldn't want the rest of the side to suffer (particularly our problem area in the forwards) because we have too much salary cap being tied up in NSW Cup backs. We also can't go around trying to make FG promises to them when they're not as good as our other current backs. The kid is a talent, but we can't throw the whole side into disarray for him to stay.

Cut Minto and Tahu

Sign Chanel and Pat

meerkat.jpg

Noname36

First Grade
I'm perfectly happy for them to receive whatever Tahu and Minto are on + a bit more as incentive to keep them and by extension Sione here. I'm hearing things like lucrative 5 year offers for all of them though which is a bit worrying IMO. They'll only sign for that amount of time if they're very good offers (i.e. a lot more than they probably deserve at the moment given their position in the pecking order).

Allstar Knights

Juniors
I actually wouldn't mind Pete back next year if Gagai goes. Would be good cover at fullback if Gidley goes down (no doubt he'll be the FB). I personally think Sione shines more in the centres or on the wing rather than fullback. Mamo seems like he'll predominantly be a winger next year after playing there more recently.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Really? What have you seen from gagai to indicate that he is better than the average centre running around in the NRL? Footwork? Not really, all centres have good footwork. Defence? Well his defence is lacking ATM. Strength? Not any more than any other centre. Speed? Probably average if not a bit below.

While I think we can cover him leaving with Sione, I think you are selling Dane short

Last year he was one of the top centres in the competition and was talked up as a Qld Origin player of the future. In 2014 he went off the rails a bit and add in the turmoil going on around the club, his form dropped off along with pretty much everyone in the team.

When you can consider guys like Jack Reed, Gerade Beal, Jarrod Croker, Kane Linnett, Dane Neilsen, etc as average centres then Dane is well above the grade when it comes to footwork and balance. Have a look at some of his highlight vids from 2012-13, there is some stuff in there that your "average" NRL centre is incapable of.

No he is not the fastest or strongest and his defence has been shitty in 2014 but lets not forget what he is actually capable of when his head is right and why he was only recently talked about as Justin Hodges heir apparent.

aqua_duck

Coach
The boys won't all leave, they're very close to mum and grew up in Newcastle, they're not silly they know they can't all play first grade together at the one club since they all play the same positions. I don't want to see Pete come back, not because I don't like him but because I'd hate to see him just be a career nsw cup player, he's better than that. Chanel isn't someone who we'll need to break the bank to re-sign. I'd love to see them turn Pat into a backrower, he's built like a tank and is a good defender. Sione is an absolute priority, he's a future captain of the club and is the best junior we've had in a decade

aqua_duck

Coach
While I think we can cover him leaving with Sione, I think you are selling Dane short

Last year he was one of the top centres in the competition and was talked up as a Qld Origin player of the future. In 2014 he went off the rails a bit and add in the turmoil going on around the club, his form dropped off along with pretty much everyone in the team.

When you can consider guys like Jack Reed, Gerade Beal, Jarrod Croker, Kane Linnett, Dane Neilsen, etc as average centres then Dane is well above the grade when it comes to footwork and balance. Have a look at some of his highlight vids from 2012-13, there is some stuff in there that your "average" NRL centre is incapable of.

No he is not the fastest or strongest and his defence has been shitty in 2014 but lets not forget what he is actually capable of when his head is right and why he was only recently talked about as Justin Hodges heir apparent.

Jarrod Croker gave Dane a bath this year in Canberra

Noname36

First Grade
Gagai and Croker are pretty similar players IMO. Are both dangerous in attack but can't defend to save themselves.

Gagai's technique is his only problem. Too much arm grabbing. He makes some good reads and is always quick off the mark in defence. For all his deficiencies in that area he always has a go.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Jarrod Croker gave Dane a bath this year in Canberra

and Dane did the same to Croker last year

We all know Danes defence this year has not been up to scratch. Its obvious his head is not in it. Funnily enough he had very few issues in this department last year

perverse

Referee
lol, the outpour of crying on the Mighty Newcastle Knights facebook page is priceless. A hilarious read if you can cope with the fact that we're associated with these people via the club we support.

Having Sione, Pat, Chanel, Joey and Mamo as our back five in years to come would be a proud moment for this club. Joey is the other guy we need to sign long term. If we did our future is very bright. Dane can go. I am not wanting us to be giving an ungrateful little momma's boy overs. Seriously he can piss off next season if that is his attitude.

Noname36

First Grade
Having Sione, Pat, Chanel, Joey and Mamo as our back five in years to come would be a proud moment for this club. Joey is the other guy we need to sign long term. If we did our future is very bright. Dane can go. I am not wanting us to be giving an ungrateful little momma's boy overs. Seriously he can piss off next season if that is his attitude.

Wtf? Where has all that come from?

Tom155

Coach
Newcastle Knights’ centre Dane Gagai is contracted to the Club until the end of season 2015 and will remain at the Club, despite media reports suggesting otherwise.

“This story about Dane wanting to leave is incorrect and is driven solely by the media,” coach Wayne Bennett said on Tuesday.

“Dane is happy at the Knights and will be playing here next season.

“ABC’s Craig Hamilton actually questioned me after Sunday’s game about the suggestion that I was taking Dane to Brisbane.

“I answered categorically he wasn’t going to Brisbane, yet it continues to be reported.

“It is disappointing for the Club, for Dane and for the supporters and hopefully this sets the record straight.”
http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2014/08/19/gagai_staying_a_knight.html

Last edited:

Noname36

First Grade
lol, the outpour of crying on the Mighty Newcastle Knights facebook page is priceless. A hilarious read if you can cope with the fact that we're associated with these people via the club we support.

The idiots harassing the club over Twitter about it was enough face-palming for me. Couldn't bring myself to look at the mighty knights FB page lol.

Joker's Wild

Coach

Wha? Did you get a head knock or something?

voltron

Juniors
statement RE: Gagai just means he'll be there next year
but once november rolls around he'll be looking to sign elsewhere i think

1qaz

Juniors
A lot of people like to compare Gagai to Hodges.
Some posters like ChickenHunter may no see it.

I show you why he is compared to Hodges.
This is vintage Hodges from 2006, he was shifted from centre to fullback halfway through the year as the Hunt wasn't providing enough spark from fullback.
It proved to be a masterstroke by Bennett. The Broncos ended winning the premiership as a result of Hodges moving to fullback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKgSylSvHZM#t=112

It starts at the 1.52
Beautiful to watch.

Now this is Gagai, compare that to Hodges.
It's identical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiWEkdDWmxE#t=118
It starts at 1.57

Still not convince?
Here's Gagai again making the same Hodges arcing run
He even dishes it off like Hodges

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zZ_ngi-e7s#t=165
Starts at 2.45

I rest my case, your honour

Latest posts