What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 Membership Discussion

alien

Referee
As a Souths fan I think a membership of 35,000 but average attendance of 16,000 is pretty poor. But I will go to every NSW/ACT game I can realistically go to.
It feels to me Souths are the Man U of The NRL a small dedicated number of fans but millions of hangers on who couldn't tell you the name of five players. That's my view of the situation anyway.

over the last 4 years, souths average home attendance is 19,417. it's better than almost all of the other nrl clubs. the only sydney club with a higher average home attendance over the last 4 years are the bulldogs - 19,568

Pommy

Coach
over the last 4 years, souths average home attendance is 19,417. it's better than almost all of the other nrl clubs. the only sydney club with a higher average home attendance over the last 4 years are the bulldogs - 19,568

Right but what was the average attendance last season with 35,000 members?

Perth Red

Post Whore
250k -500k???
Where on earth have you heard an NRL claim those figures ?
I'm a life member of the leagues club and a season ticket holder and have never heard any such nonsense .
So so full of bullshit you are,

You actually wouldn't have a clue.

Its regularly been quoted on here when talking of reloactionas and mergers and potential loss of existing fans of those clubs but I've called it BS everytime. IMO it is nearer 100k but I get shot down when suggesting this. Glad you agree with me!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Haha, every apartment sold is yet more financial security and represents another tear down the despairing face of a death riding dead shit pommie in Perth.

lol, I guess you haven't read your own clubs last annual report? Best hope the new tenants are all pokie addicts!

Cockosh

Juniors
I'd personally prefer to have fewer or no no members in exchange for 25,000 plus at each roosters game. For me it's about the atmosphere and unfortunately those games are few and far between and the same is true for every club with the exception of maybe Brisbane. The game itself is what matters and the experience it offers. Membership is just a means by which clubs should look to grow crowds and as an extension revenue. How good would it be getting semi final type atmosphere each week?

Without doing the math if every club could average 25,000+ the extra revenue would negate revenue earnt from memberships. I'm not dismissing the importance of membership but is just a means to an end.

Not criticising souffs but as a club that has seen its membership explode it would be irresponsible to not look at why the conversion to attendance isn't greater.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
lol, I guess you haven't read your own clubs last annual report? Best hope the new tenants are all pokie addicts!
Think you've had your head up your arse for too long Red......Sharks are in a far better position than many other clubs including a few in Sydney. Time to find a new hobby horse while you wait a decade or so see a team in Perth.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Think you've had your head up your arse for too long Red......Sharks are in a far better position than many other clubs including a few in Sydney. Time to find a new hobby horse while you wait a decade or so see a team in Perth.

More than decade at this rate lol. Like I said read tne report, let's see if this years is any better before bragging too much about your new found wealth.

taipan

Referee

You really have zero idea with what is proceeding at the club,and the next couple of stages.

Perhaps if you had an idea ,some of us would accept your comments.

The club will be getting $1m pa plus rental from the retail side for starters,plus extra patronage through the club with new restaurants.
The club has never really been in a position of late to rely on poker machine money in any quantities.

In addtition should an A League side be domiciled there ,that will mean extra revenue for the club.
But do go on and enlighten us!

taipan

Referee
Are Broncos asleep? They have had the same membership numbers for about 2-3 weeks now.
Even the Eels ,and knights and Sharks are updating growing numbers regularly.
it's p*ss weak coming from a so called professional club.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You really have zero idea with what is proceeding at the club,and the next couple of stages.

Perhaps if you had an idea ,some of us would accept your comments.

The club will be getting $1m pa plus rental from the retail side for starters,plus extra patronage through the club with new restaurants.
The club has never really been in a position of late to rely on poker machine money in any quantities.

In addtition should an A League side be domiciled there ,that will mean extra revenue for the club.
But do go on and enlighten us!

I know exactly what is proceeding and what the club will earn from it. As a club that publicly produces an annual report I also know exactly how much the club lost in 13-14. And what their revenue level was that year. The development is at best going to clear your debts and keep your head above water. It is not going to move you into the top tier revenue clubs or going to give you spare capital to reinvest. If you get a soccer club, if the new tenants use the league club, if the retail does well. Lots of If's but at least you have a chance of surviving in Cronulla which is a hell of a lot better position than you was in a few years ago. Now if only you had more fans..........

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
They have more than Perth...

Seriously, pr, walk away from the game.

It's not good for your health to be bitter and angry all the time.

Rabbits20

Immortal
This would be a fair criticism if their crowds were bad. Right now they're one of the top clubs so I don't really see the problem. If anything having a lot of non ticketed members and relatively high crowds seems like a really good thing in terms of revenue for the club.

Also I don't think having a huge gap between memberships and attendance is automatically a bad thing. As an extreme example what if they had 500K non ticketed members and averaged crowds of 40K a week? Would that be a bad thing?

In general it seems as though souths cop the most flak despite doing far better than most Sydney clubs in terms of members and crowds. I enjoy a good lol@souffs as much as anyone but I don't think that is the reason for the complaining.

Thanks for your honesty.

Rabbits20

Immortal

That's what Billykid was saying too.

Some just don't get it alien!!!

It just goes in circles.

We know the truth, so that's all that matters.

GG2SS

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
I know exactly what is proceeding and what the club will earn from it. As a club that publicly produces an annual report I also know exactly how much the club lost in 13-14. And what their revenue level was that year. The development is at best going to clear your debts and keep your head above water. It is not going to move you into the top tier revenue clubs or going to give you spare capital to reinvest. If you get a soccer club, if the new tenants use the league club, if the retail does well. Lots of If's but at least you have a chance of surviving in Cronulla which is a hell of a lot better position than you was in a few years ago. Now if only you had more fans..........

You only confirmed what I already knew .You have not a clue.
You are obviously not aware of proposed amendments to the retail point 1.
You are oblivious to the fact Bruno Cullen former Bronco's COE examining the books and development when he was asked to go by the NRL, noted the Shark's in his opinion will be among the top 3 or 4 clubs financially in the NRL.And this also means not relying on poker machine revenue.point 2
Point 3.When Cullen made the comment,the A League proposal was not even taken into account,as it was not on the horizon.

Point 4. $1m pa retail rent is nothing to be sneezed at .
Point 5.new suburbs Green Hills and Shearebrook landing about 1km from the club along CC Drive ,will provide custom of the retail development and no doubt some for the club and its new restaurants,as Cronulla itself is chockers on weekends.
Point 6. The residents of close to 700 and maybe more units will also provide custom to the retail and some to the club.
Point 7.
The Sharks had 3 1/2 thousand attending a Monday night game in appalling cyclonic conditions,nothing Perth has ever had to experience for NRL matches.How many would they get on a Monday night in such conditions?I didn't bother to attend and I had cover in a stand.
Point 8.The area does not rely on the mining industry which is facing huge problems after a once in a lifetime boom.So check your own backyard.I read another mine is facing closure in WA.
Point 9.We have as many juniors as WA.

Membership already approaching 7,500.Have another lemon PR you are running out of bitterness.

Last edited:

Latest posts