What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

carcharias

Immortal
So
Shit crowd in Melb
They had the luxury of the premium time slot
The stadium
The transport
The one team town/state
The GF replay
The weather was shit but big deal... Sydney has had worse for 4 weeks straight.
Same goes for the Titans game but the weather was actually pretty good.

Maybe these theories of playing in stadiums is completely wrong.

Bronxnation

Juniors
So
Shit crowd in Melb
The stadium
The transport
The one team town/state
The GF replay

"The weather was shit" = Good excuse for when my team needs justification on why crowds are shit
"The weather was shit" = Bad excuse when a rivals team gets a poorer than usual crowd.

carcharias

Immortal
"The weather was shit" = Good excuse for when my team needs justification on why crowds are shit
"The weather was shit" = Bad excuse when a rivals team gets a poorer than usual crowd.

Apparently foul weather is not an excuse though.
...and only playing games in centralised stadiums with easy access is the answer

Clearly it's not.

Clifferd

Coach
Bulldogs v Souffs 41k
Knights v Roosters 20k
Broncos v Titans 40-45k
Manly v Storm 12k
Raiders v Warriors 19k
Dragons v Cowboys 18k
Sharks V Penrith 17k
Tigers V Eels 38k

Should be a very healthy round for crowds

Bulldogs v Souffs 41k
Knights v Roosters 20k
Broncos v Titans 40-45k
Manly v Storm 12k
Raiders v Warriors 19k
Dragons v Cowboys 18k
Sharks V Penrith 17k
Tigers V Eels 38k

Should be a very healthy round for crowds

The footy standard is pretty good at the moment, I hope you're right.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
So
Shit crowd in Melb
The stadium
The transport
The one team town/state
The GF replay

1. what was the actual crowd?
2. Sydney had worse yes and the crowds suffered. Melbourne isn't allowed an off day? lol

Paullyboy

Coach
So
Shit crowd in Melb
The stadium
The transport
The one team town/state
The GF replay

Those conditions were putrid yesterday. Probably about 12 degrees and torrential rain. Sydney had some poor weather (as per every year, why are people still surprised that Sydney is always wet?), but it wasn't as bad as that.

carcharias

Immortal
That crowds around 8k in a Sydney suburban ground in those conditions, so yes decent stadiums do mean bigger crowds, even in sht weather

Hang on a few weeks ago the sharks got the same crowd in the rain you hung shit on them.
But now the same crowd is good???

Wish my team was the only team in an entire state to draw crowds from.

adamkungl

Immortal
Hang on a few weeks ago the sharks got the same crowd in the rain you hung shit on them.

Careful, you might crack the collective delusion that non-Sydney crowds are any better than the supposedly overcrowded Sydney market.

carcharias

Immortal
Those conditions were putrid yesterday. Probably about 12 degrees and torrential rain. Sydney had some poor weather (as per every year, why are people still surprised that Sydney is always wet?), but it wasn't as bad as that.
Sydney has had record rainfall for the start of the season
My kids are into round 3 and are yet to train because the grounds have been closed for over s month.

Melb gets a shitty day and no f**ker shows up.

Pfff

All the people in here using dumb arse theories about stadiums bringing the crowds in are proven wrong week in week out.

The problem is TV
I've said it all along
The crowds are watching from home.
Why wouldn't you?
Stadiums suck arse .

Clifferd

Coach

Sydney had insane weather for 3 weeks straight. Floods, lives lost, road closures, power outages and other stuff the above poster mentioned

Melbourne had what, 2 days of bad weather?

Perth Red

Post Whore

tell me where I said it was good? Its sht but it's a better sht than the 8k that would have turned up at a suburban ground in those conditions. Given the avg is only just over 14k 12.6k in the rain isn't a disaster, unlike say 11k in perfect weather at brookvale this weekend.

And yeh storm being in the very middle of afl heartland means nothing for competition for fans lol.

Marlins

Juniors
Bulldogs v Souffs 36k
Knights v Roosters 21k
Broncos v Titans 44k
Manly v Storm 12k
Raiders v Warriors 16k
Dragons v Cowboys 16k
Sharks V Penrith 16k
Tigers V Eels 32k

carcharias

Immortal
tell me where I said it was good? Its sht but it's a better sht than the 8k that would have turned up at a suburban ground in those conditions. Given the avg is only just over 14k 12.6k in the rain isn't a disaster, unlike say 11k in perfect weather at brookvale this weekend.

And yeh storm being in the very middle of afl heartland means nothing for competition for fans lol.

8k?

Sharks 3 games at home 2017
2 of those were out of town teams .
2 games were dogshit timeslots too.
Av 12859 in (as I mentioned) record rainfall for this time of year.

Imagine a Perth team
It'd be the Titans ver 2 but with smaller crowds.
It'd be worth getting a team in there just to watch you try and talk your way out of the shit crowds they'd draw.

Marley

Juniors
So
Shit crowd in Melb
The stadium
The transport
The one team town/state
The GF replay

Sydney had worse crowds than that this year. 12K for one team in such conditions compared to 11K for the so-called biggest rivalry in the NRL between 2 Sydney teams. It's obvious to say which one is worse.

It may be a 1 team town, but hardly anyone cares about the NRL here, so the rain isn't going to add more.

Even the Carlton vs Essendon game that traditionally draws 60K+ only drew 48K at the same time. Don't think I've seen such conditions in a very long time.

johnny plath

Juniors
8k?

Sharks 3 games at home 2017
2 of those were out of town teams .
I've always been curious with this argument for the Sydney teams. Why does the opposition matter so much, don't supporters just want to watch there own team play. This just implies that there isn't really that much local support and rely on opposition teams to bring there supporters with them. Ideally wouldn't a strong club have enough fans to fill there ground and not rely on what the opposition brings?

carcharias

Immortal
Sydney had worse crowds than that this year.

It may be a 1 team town, but hardly anyone cares about the NRL here, so the rain isn't going to add more.

Even the Carlton vs Essendon game that traditionally draws 60K+ only drew 48K at the same time. Don't think I've seen such conditions in a very long time.

It's been like that up here for 6 weeks