What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

Marley

Juniors
It's been like that up here for 6 weeks
Compare 12K for a team drawing on very little to no opposition support in such conditions in a city that doesn't care for the sport to 11K between the biggest rivalry in the NRL between 2 Sydney teams, the heart land for the sport. Hardly the worst crowd this year. Would've been 20K in the dry

The 48K between Carlton and Essendon puts the Sydney teams to shame yet it was widely considered a poor crowd in Melbourne.

carcharias

Immortal
I've always been curious with this argument for the Sydney teams. Why does the opposition matter so much, don't supporters just want to watch there own team play. This just implies that there isn't really that much local support and rely on opposition teams to bring there supporters with them. Ideally wouldn't a strong club have enough fans to fill there ground and not rely on what the opposition brings?

Actually it just shows the opposite IMO
My team has averaged 12.8k in the rain without the help of other clubs crowds bumping up the figures.
The derby was an ok crowd
But it was on at 6pm on a Sunday night.

carcharias

Immortal
Compare 12K for a team drawing on very little to no opposition support in such conditions in a city that doesn't care for the sport to 11K between the biggest rivalry in the NRL between 2 Sydney teams, the heart land for the sport. Hardly the worst crowd this year. Would've been 20K in the dry

The 48K between Carlton and Essendon puts the Sydney teams to shame yet it was widely considered a poor crowd in Melbourne.
So are you using the weather as a reason why people stayed away?

Funny that.

carcharias

Immortal
Even using the weather, Melbourne have drawn comparable crowds to a game involving 2 Sydney teams.

The Swans don't seem to be impacted by the weather

So?

Ever considered more people prefer AFL?
Or the fact that people are lazy and would rather watch the NRL on TV?

Be f**ked if I'm going to go to woop woop when I can watch it from the comfort of my own home.

taipan

Referee
Even using the weather, Melbourne have drawn comparable crowds to a game involving 2 Sydney teams.

The Swans don't seem to be impacted by the weather

They haven't yet had to put up with crap conditions in Sydney.I remember the Swan's people stating in the past,the wet weather had impacted the crowds at so and so match.

Anyone who suggests rain does not impact crowds,is imbecilic.

Perth Red

Post Whore
of course it does, just if you have a decent stadium instead of a sht hole it impacts less. NRL is starting from a low base, it needs all the help it can get not to make it even lower when it rains, which it does frequently in winter!

Even on a sunny sunday afternoon these suburban grounds are lucky to crack 14k so suggesting that 12.6k turning up in torrential rain is somehow justification to play in shtholes is just laughable, even for you Sharks fans.

Perth Red

Post Whore
8k?

Sharks 3 games at home 2017
2 of those were out of town teams .
2 games were dogshit timeslots too.
Av 12859 in (as I mentioned) record rainfall for this time of year.

Imagine a Perth team
It'd be the Titans ver 2 but with smaller crowds.
It'd be worth getting a team in there just to watch you try and talk your way out of the shit crowds they'd draw.

The sad thing is you may be right. it seems the NRL is just not popular enough in this country to grow itself. despite money it is struggling to be popular in its heartlands, so to hope for anything beyond is seemingly futile with the management the game has. Best it keeps propping up its failing existing clubs than tries to be ambitious and grow itself.

and wow, 12.8k for reigning premiers, outstanding work lol. With that fanbase you are sure to be a behemoth of the sport for decades to come

carcharias

Immortal
The sad thing is you may be right. it seems the NRL is just not popular enough in this country to grow itself. despite money it is struggling to be popular in its heartlands, so to hope for anything beyond is seemingly futile with the management the game has. Best it keeps propping up its failing existing clubs than tries to be ambitious and grow itself.

and wow, 12.8k for reigning premiers, outstanding work lol. With that fanbase you are sure to be a behemoth of the sport for decades to come

So not 8k?

Thought as much.

T-Boon

Coach
With some adjustments to the rules to make the game more exciting and less conservative/hit up based the numbers will go through the roof. Kids will drag their families to the ground.

Billythekid

First Grade
Sydney has had record rainfall for the start of the season
My kids are into round 3 and are yet to train because the grounds have been closed for over s month.

Melb gets a shitty day and no f**ker shows up.

Pfff

All the people in here using dumb arse theories about stadiums bringing the crowds in are proven wrong week in week out.

The problem is TV
I've said it all along
The crowds are watching from home.
Why wouldn't you?
Stadiums suck arse .

The amount of rain over time means jack shit. The only weather that matters is the day of the game. It doesn't matter if it has been sunny every day of the year, if there is torrential rain the day of the game people won't turn up.

If TV is the problem why aren't the AFL affected? Why aren't the big bash affected? Why aren't big games like finals, SOO and internationals affected? Why are shitty competitions that no one gives a f**k about like the a league able to draw big crowds to games?

The fact is that when a game is appealing to attend people show up regardless of TV coverage. Your argument is worthless and nothing but an excuse. Further if you care so little about crowds supposedly like so many others in this thread why are you here in the first place?

8k?

Sharks 3 games at home 2017
2 of those were out of town teams .
2 games were dogshit timeslots too.
Av 12859 in (as I mentioned) record rainfall for this time of year.

Record rainfall is irrelevant. How many of those games were actually played in the rain, that's the only thing that matters. There may have been record rainfall but that doesn't mean that every game has been rained out, you're being deliberately misleading.

2 games against out of town teams, big deal. Every game in the storms history has been against an out of town team.

Dog shit time slots is total bullshit. Sunday at 6pm is a perfectly fine timeslot. It may not be the best timeslot but it's hardly dog shit. According to you and half the merkins on here every timeslot is garbage.

I'm not trying to blame or insult sydneys crowds in this post either. Your arguments, like usual, are total bullshit and are nothing more than excuses and attempts to prove posters like Perth Red wrong.

Last edited: