What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

taipan

Referee
Then the game will always be destined to struggle, hefully someone at the nrl hq understands that you can't kill the golden goose, that is the game itself and the fans who buy into it.

There is more money for clubs in memberships, merch and ticket sales than in tv and LC grants combined if they can grow their customer base sufficently

Of course there will compromise to ensure tv feels it is getting value for money and a return on its investment but you dont compromise on the very fabric of live sport, which is fan attendance.

"There is more money for clubs in memberships,merch and ticket sales than in TV and LC Grants".
If that were the case and it's not,the NRL would have insisted on a better scheduling ,knowing full well they would get less on Tv monies.
If each club had 50,000 season members,you may have a valid point.

taipan

Referee
We've just had the worst Month of heavy rain since 1975,not a drizzle but flooding and strong winds and consistent.Trees falling down in places, roads blocked.But Sydney's used to it.Try telling that to the SES.
And we get "using rain as one excuse">If it were a drizzle or a brief shower on and off, but not days on end,I'd agree.
.But anyone who thinks getting a family to attend and get soaked for fun, out of devotion to a team,is devoid of reality.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Probably looking at a low crowd in Canberra this weekend. Half the population will get out of town for the long weekend and the Warriors never draw many down here. 10k would be my bet.

carcharias

Immortal
So basically you're just confirming that you're a lonely f**kwit. Good to know.
I wish I were a lonely f**kwit
I'm very popular...especially with the ladies.
In fact I'm so popular it's not even posting these classic comebacks...I don't have the time.

Perth Red

Post Whore
"There is more money for clubs in memberships,merch and ticket sales than in TV and LC Grants".
If that were the case and it's not,the NRL would have insisted on a better scheduling ,knowing full well they would get less on Tv monies.
If each club had 50,000 season members,you may have a valid point.

You just answered your own argument. 40k member, 30k crowds and clubs revenue from those areas tops tv grant. Like living off the pokies it's just easier for the game to take the easy money and screw itself over long term instead of working hard to build the fanbase of the sport.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Probably looking at a low crowd in Canberra this weekend. Half the population will get out of town for the long weekend and the Warriors never draw many down here. 10k would be my bet.

Be interesting next year to see if the nrl actually address these scenarios and set the fixtures accordingly. Having said that if it was a priority and they had such insight then they wouldn't have scheduled raideRs at home on a ph weekend in the first place I suppose.

carcharias

Immortal
Considering all I hear on here is how sht Sydney is for
Traffic
Public transport
Weather
Sports stadiums
Media
Housing cost
NRL fans attitude

I wouldn't think you'd have much room to be commenting on other cities?

Nice opera house and bridge though
Oh yes ...looks who showed up for more punishment.
I feel like Bruce Lee in one of those old Kung fu movies.
I'm knocking f**kwits out left, right and centre.
All of them just so happen to be recent recipients of a good old shark flogging

The question is
What could you possibly be arguing about?

You don't have a team- never will
You don't go to games - never will

So how could you know anything about anything to do with footy in Sydney?

...and yes it does have a loverly opera house and bridge
I'd pay Perth a compliment but I cannot think of one good thing about the joint.
Seriously.

Anyway
It's raining again.

Paullyboy

Coach
Be interesting next year to see if the nrl actually address these scenarios and set the fixtures accordingly. Having said that if it was a priority and they had such insight then they wouldn't have scheduled raideRs at home on a ph weekend in the first place I suppose.
The fact they didn't play a single weekend game in Melbourne in the weeks before the AFL kicked off would suggest that forward planning isn't really on their radar.

They should have crammed as many Storm home games into those 3 or 4 weeks as possible.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Oh yes ...looks who showed up for more punishment.
I feel like Bruce Lee in one of those old Kung fu movies.
I'm knocking f**kwits out left, right and centre.
All of them just so happen to be recent recipients of a good old shark flogging

The question is
What could you possibly be arguing about?

You don't have a team- never will
You don't go to games - never will

So how could you know anything about anything to do with footy in Sydney?

...and yes it does have a loverly opera house and bridge
I'd pay Perth a compliment but I cannot think of one good thing about the joint.
Seriously.

Anyway
It's raining again.

I thought you were away with the ladies lol

Billythekid

First Grade
I like to gauge how much I upset dopey merkins in here by how huge a reply I get ...and going by this rant I have done very well indeed.
High five :raised_hand: to me!

You compared the biggest drawing nrl games in the country basically to a club game.

Then when I questioned that geniused comparison you got all upset.

Go away
Come back in couple of days with a clear head
Read what ever the f**k you are waffling on about to yourself...out loud.

Then try again.

Yes writing an actual thoughtful reply shows how mad you are. Meanwhile writing a lengthy post attempting to insult someone and make out how mad they are shows you're totally calm. Only one of us is getting upset here, I'm just discussing crowds you know the whole point of this thread.

carcharias

Immortal
Yes writing an actual thoughtful reply shows how mad you are. Meanwhile writing a lengthy post attempting to insult someone and make out how mad they are shows you're totally calm. Only one of us is getting upset here, I'm just discussing crowds you know the whole point of this thread.

Yeah I know the point of this thread
2017 crowd watch.

And the rain in Sydney has had a massive impact on the crowds here this season .

I'm right
Have been all along
Always am

Up the sharks

And it's raining again.

taipan

Referee
You just answered your own argument. 40k member, 30k crowds and clubs revenue from those areas tops tv grant. Like living off the pokies it's just easier for the game to take the easy money and screw itself over long term instead of working hard to build the fanbase of the sport.

I stated 50,000 so I haven't answer my own argument..The Broncos have about 35,000 max and a city to themselves.They still can't get 50,000.
There are AFL clubs that get financial support from poker machines, don't point the finger just at some NRL clubs.
The AFL clubs in the main would be shagged without the Tv monies.

It's an absolute nonsense to suggest clubs could do better than current TV deals with what you have suggested.
And certainly that means Perth is left at the starting blocks.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
That's very disappointing.

Nah. With the pricing and a good Friday night game I am not phased. If it was an afternoon game I would hate it. People aren't interesting in bailing on family with limited places to go after it.

Until the screens are fitted and given we are in GA mode, Suncorps capacity is pretty much capped at 39-40k ish.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
After the Broncos attacking display last week, the fact it's a public holiday, good weather and against your nearest rivals. 34K is shocking for a one team town.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
After the Broncos attacking display last week, the fact it's a public holiday, good weather and against your nearest rivals. 34K is shocking for a one team town.

We have ZERO rivalry with the Titans. You have no clue what you're talking about.

Will add that if this crowd figure was against the likes of say, Melbourne or St George Illawarra on a Good Friday it would be disappointing.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
We have ZERO rivalry with the Titans. You have no clue what you're talking about.

Will add that if this crowd figure was against the likes of say, Melbourne or St George Illawarra on a Good Friday it would be disappointing.

When the Titans first came in there were much better crowds for this game at Suncorp when the rivalry was even less.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
When the Titans first came in there were much better crowds for this game at Suncorp when the rivalry was even less.

That had more to do with the "shiny new team" appeal. They have pretty much been on a decline from those high 47k and 48k crowds down to the 27k-30k now... It's like one of those things you try to have a go at and realise you don't really give a shit. Like having sex with your ex, meh.