What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

T-Boon

Coach
Ahh the one team town argument. yeah cause everyone in brisbane goes for the broncos. Its not like they came in when people already had a team. I guess everyone that followed league in brisbane decided to switch. Good work man you are good at knowing things!!

Thats why we need a second Brisbane team ASAP. Half of Brisbane hate the Broncos so would probably go for a new team set up in opposition to them. 35k crowds each weekend, capacity for the most vicious darby in Australian sport - nice.

Paullyboy

Coach
Thats why we need a second Brisbane team ASAP. Half of Brisbane hate the Broncos so would probably go for a new team set up in opposition to them. 35k crowds each weekend, capacity for the most vicious darby in Australian sport - nice.

How are people this stupid?

Everyone in Brisbane already has a team. You are correct that many aren't Broncos fans, but there isn't this huge group of fans who are sitting around thinking "this is a great sport, if only I had someone to cheer for!"

How are some people still unable to get their head around this?

T-Boon

Coach

Everyone in Brisbane already has a team. You are correct that many aren't Broncos fans, but there isn't this huge group of fans who are sitting around thinking "this is a great sport, if only I had someone to cheer for!"

Classy insults Paul. Keep up the high standards.
I'll try to explain this so you'll understand: People in Brisbane who don't support the Broncos hate the Broncos. Whilst they may already have an out of town team many of them will adopt a new team set up in opposition to the Broncos.
As an example the Crushers in their first season got a 20k average crowd which was awesome at the time. I am guessing they weren't fans that were new to the game.
Another example is the Gold Coast Titans. Everyone on the Gold Coast already had an out of town team but in their first season they got 23k.

Last edited:

Paullyboy

Coach
Classy insults Paul. Keep up the high standards.
I'll try to explain this so you'll understand: People in Brisbane who don't support the Broncos hate the Broncos. Whilst they may already have an out of town team many of them will adopt a new team set up in opposition to the Broncos.
As an example the Crushers in their first season got a 20k average crowd which was awesome at the time. I am guessing they weren't fans that were new to the game.
I actually thought I was quite restrained given your proposal.

I'm a perfect example of this group you are referring to. I am from Brisbane, I hate the Broncos - but I sure as hell won't be ditching the Raiders because a new team pops up in my backyard.

The Crushers were a perfect example of why it doesn't work. Yes, they averaged 20k in their first year - much like the Titans did well in their first year. It's called novelty. Novelty is not something you can rely on.

The Crushers crowd averages went from 21k in their first year to 13k in their second year and finally they finished with a paltry average of 7003 in the final year (including a game where they literally opened the gates and gave tickets away for free against the Bears. I remember it well, as I was there). They actually had 8 games where they had less than 6.000 attendees in their final season.

Trust me, the people of Brisbane already have their teams and they're not about to switch.

Brutus

Referee

I'm a perfect example of this group you are referring to. I am from Brisbane, I hate the Broncos - but I sure as hell won't be ditching the Raiders because a new team pops up in my backyard.

The Crushers were a perfect example of why it doesn't work. Yes, they averaged 20k in their first year - much like the Titans did well in their first year. It's called novelty. Novelty is not something you can rely on.

The Crushers crowd averages went from 21k in their first year to 13k in their second year and finally they finished with a paltry average of 7003 in the final year (including a game where they literally opened the gates and gave tickets away for free against the Bears. I remember it well, as I was there). They actually had 8 games where they had less than 6.000 attendees in their final season.

Trust me, the people of Brisbane already have their teams and they're not about to switch.

Super League Killed the Crushers

The fact the second biggest rugby league city on the planet only hosts a first grade game every second week is one of the most ludicrous things in the game.

And that's saying something.

T-Boon

Coach

The Crushers crowds in their second year coincided with the super league debacle when everybody's crowds halved including the Broncos. Thats like laying an eggs the day before winter.
A second Brisbane team would be massive.

T-Boon

Coach

This bit is also wrong. I mean, badly wrong.
The Titans crowds increase when they are winning (big time last year). Thats the same as every team. Including the Broncos and the Raiders. The Titans need an extended era of winning to build the rusted on fan base.
Not only would a new Brisbane team have a guaranteed 25k starting base but they would retain that if they started with a winning team. Additionally with competition we would see the Broncos get off their fat arses and market themselves properly and possibly build their crowds.

Paullyboy

Coach
This bit is also wrong. I mean, badly wrong.
The Titans crowds increase when they are winning (big time last year). Thats the same as every team. Including the Broncos and the Raiders. The Titans need an extended era of winning to build the rusted on fan base.
Not only would a new Brisbane team have a guaranteed 25k starting base but they would retain that if they started with a winning team. Additionally with competition we would see the Broncos get off their fat arses and market themselves properly and possibly build their crowds.
Actually, I'm going to pull you up again. You're not great at figures - just anecdotal evidence it seems. You're unsurprisingly living up to all of the stereotypes of someone who thinks a second Brisbane team would work.

The Titans averages have decreased every single year from 2008 to 2015. As I mentioned earlier, the people of the Gold Coast love a novelty, and a massive novelty happened in 2016 when Jarryd Hayne landed for two games. If you look at the games without Hayne, they had yet another shocker in 2016. 2017 isn't looking much better either.

The fact you think a new Brisbane team would have a guaranteed 25k fanbase shows how out of touch you are on this issue - but you've proven that logic won't impact your thoughts so I guess I might as well leave you to your deluded line of thinking.

T-Boon

Coach
The Titans averages have decreased every single year from 2008 to 2015. As I mentioned earlier, the people of the Gold Coast love a novelty, and a massive novelty happened in 2016 when Jarryd Hayne landed for two games. If you look at the games without Hayne, they had yet another shocker in 2016. 2017 isn't looking much better either.

For three years the Titans had awesome crowds. Thats a long time for a novelty to last. They havent been a good team since and have for the most part been a shambolic team and club. They will build the crowds back up with sustained winning. Had Cam Smith gone to the GC 6 years back they would be getting 20k today.
Point is. Everyone on the GC already had a team but they got on board. Brisbane needs a team for the non Bronco fan to get on board.

The Great Dane

First Grade

I said the same thing when talk started about the Raiders joining the the NSWRL, "no way I'll drop the Bears for this new bunch", by 87-88 I was a Raiders fan through and through.

Obviously my story isn't every bodies story, I have plenty of friends that would still consider themselves fans of their original teams, but it was people like me and those friends who stuck with their Sydney teams who made up the Raiders first fan base.
We went to the Raiders games simply because we wanted to see good footy, then pretty quickly we adopted them as our second team, then some of us (most of us in my experience) eventually swapped out our old team with the Raiders.

Let's put it this way, if a new club was established in Brisbane and had reasonable membership prices (maybe even undercutting the Broncos) would you (and others like you) become a member just so you could go to watch top grade footy on a regular basis without having to support or deal with the Broncos?
Even if you personally say no, I've no doubt that there're many people in Brisbane that would say yes, and initially that is the niche that any new Brisbane team is going to survive on, until they can convert a good potion of those people and get a little bit of success to bring in the greater public, and in Brisbane that niche is big enough to build a very strong foundation for a new club.

Actually, I'm going to pull you up again. You're not great at figures - just anecdotal evidence it seems.

Did you seriously just use a anecdotal argument in a post then condemn anecdotes in the next! Lol.

I'm sorry, I don't normally point out little things like this, but that's really funny.

mongoose

Coach

I think a brand new franchise like the Bombers would fail but if a QLD cup side were to be promoted to NRL that has the potential to be a big success, especially someone like Ipswich. You're right Brisbane Broncos 2 won't work but a team that is tied into a community separate from Brisbane would.

Perth Red

Post Whore
A Brisbane team that either attracts a particular region or different socio economic than broncos would work well. Dockers became successful despite the massive might of the Eagles in Perth as they provide a north south unofficial split of the city and a rich western suburbs eagles v working clas freo suburbs. As long as the new Brisbane club has points of difference to the broncos it will be hugely successful.

It is insane that a rl mad city like Brisbane has one club whilst a not that interested Sydney has nine.

Latest posts