What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

insert.pause

First Grade
Still reckon it's a ploy by news corp to get MNF back, knowing this terrible slot will fail will make a return to Monday more palpable. Already people are saying we should bring back MNF.

undertaker

Coach
It is like the old ABC Saturday arvo game crowd

This. Some of the crowds back then in Sydney were absolutely atrocious

Oh dear. Embarrassing.

I hear the pubs are full though.

The tv ratings Fox get for this game are going to hurt Ch9's FNF ratings, as those people watching the Fox 6pm telecast are most likely going to stay with Fox for the 8:10pm game.

Also, pushing the Ch9 FNF game kickoff past 8pm (finishing at close to 10pm) is going to affect attendances for that game as well.

Approving the 6pm Friday time-slot is incompetence by the NRL admin, it shouldn't of been made in the first place. No other code compromises crowds like the NRL does in it TV deals. How Fox got NRL to approve such a time-slot shows the admin still doesn't have the voice for more friendly time-slots instead conceding to News once again.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maybe, couldn't have done much worse and at least its sunny here!

I reckon this is News Ltd revenge for messing with them in TV negotiations. Murdoch " I know force them into a sht timeslot that damages them, that'll teach that Dave smith bloke for not bending over at the first opportunity"

undertaker

Coach
Still reckon it's a ploy by news corp to get MNF back, knowing this terrible slot will fail will make a return to Monday more palpable. Already people are saying we should bring back MNF.

100% agree with you, and from the moment this announcement was made a couple of years ago, have always thought this was a clear strategy from News Ltd after they lost MNF as a result of the ARLC giving Ch9 Thursday night games last year. Push for a timeslot they knew wouldn't draw well, then try to drum up the inevitable complaints from the clubs and fans in the media (especially their publications, such as the Daily Telegraph), so that News Ltd can start running an campaign for the return of MNF.

I will never understand why the ARLC became desperate and quickly rushed into negotiations with News Ltd after Dave Smith left, let alone agree to the Friday 6pm game. Must have had one too many drinks at a party when the agreement was made.

Clifferd

Coach
Rain has stopped atleast for now. Might see a decent crowd at Souffs v Wests, still only expecting like 20k or so now though

BuffaloRules

Coach

I reckon this is News Ltd revenge for messing with them in TV negotiations. Murdoch " I know force them into a sht timeslot that damages them, that'll teach that Dave smith bloke for not bending over at the first opportunity"

"Force them" lol...

I thought your man Grant was heading up an Independent Commission?

undertaker

Coach
A suggestion to the NRL for increasing the crowds for this 6pm game is to do something like what Cricket Australia have done for day/night test matches: offering half-price tickets for people who want/can only attend the 2nd half (which would occur around 6:50pm). People with those half-price tickets can enter the gates after the half-time siren.

Diesel

Referee

but Grant is the dumb merkin who put pen to paper because he shat his pants when the Tele had something unfavourable to say about him

BuffaloRules

Coach
but Grant is the dumb merkin who put pen to paper because he shat his pants when the Tele had something unfavourable to say about him

I'm sure that's the way Buzz Rothfield will see it when he starts the " "Friday 6pm Code in Crisis" articles..

undertaker

Coach

That's right.

Grant capitulated under pressure and instead of making News Ltd sweat it out a bit longer, he caved into their demands.

Him and Greenberg are nothing but clever politicians masquerading as people who supposedly represent the RL fans via the independent commission: that's right, the same independent commission that people like Phil Gould in the media kept crapping on about in the years prior to the formation of the ARLC (starting around the Melbourne Storm salary cap controversy), stating how the fans were finally going to get their game back, blah blah blah...yeah right.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Rain has stopped atleast for now. Might see a decent crowd at Souffs v Wests, still only expecting like 20k or so now though

Lol 10k if they are lucky. looks like my predictions are doing well so far, looks about 5k at belmore

Just started watching on playback, will have to fast forward through the second half to make the start of the next game which I want to see live. what a joke, the NRL have absolutely no idea what damage this foes to the game.

Latest posts