What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

adamkungl

Immortal
Blame ANZ... but would that game have drawn any more than that at another venue?

Kogarah or Wollongong on a perfect day against another Sydney team.. I think so.

Without trying to rag on ANZ any further, at this point we're kinda running out of any other excuse aren't we?

We know Dragons fans feel strongly about their real home ground even though it's the pit of hell.
Dragons fans I spoke to who live in the St George region or thereabouts (who actually went) said they had to catch 3 trains. To get to a HOME game.

I don't even like the club but imo they're damaging their brand to their own fans by playing at ANZ - same with Souths and Wests

Jizmos

Juniors
League is indeed very popular in nsw, the nrl just doesn't do much to engage fans in the game.

Look at social media for example, millions of followers on Facebook, twitter, Instagram etc combined. Imagine if we could just convert 20% of those followers to nrl games on a regular basis

Tv viewing is also always very impressive

I know league is very popular in NSW.
It's (at this point in time) comfortably the most popular sport in the state but it's clearly not popular/enticing enough as a purely on field product for people to attend.

Also the social media thing IS the NRL and clubs working to engage fans.
I have every single team linked to my accounts so it's not as if the people clicking 'like' on these things don't know what's going on.

If the product is something the people want, they will go.....the NRL I'm increasingly finding is simply a water cooler talk type sport and that's about it.

M2D2

Bench
We know Dragons fans feel strongly about their real home ground even though it's the pit of hell.
Dragons fans I spoke to who live in the St George region or thereabouts (who actually went) said they had to catch 3 trains. To get to a HOME game.
Its bullshit, however, Jubi cant have night games due to several reasons, the main one being they have blown the power grid 2/3 last times they had a night game.

adamkungl

Immortal
Its bullshit, however, Jubi cant have night games due to several reasons, the main one being they have blown the power grid 2/3 last times they had a night game.

As amusing/sad as that is, 3pm Saturday is day time.

Obviously they're living in 2011 when these 2 teams would routinely pull big crowds, but Tigers form is a longgg way off and the fans have responded.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Kogarah or Wollongong on a perfect day against another Sydney team.. I think so.
I think we have our wires crossed, I was referring to Dogs v Panthers. I doubt Pepper or Belmore would've netted many more.

That said I do believe WIN hosted NPL soccer at the weekend and was N/A (hence why the ISP game had to be played Friday night)

It can't be all doom and gloom because there are games getting good crowds, and ratings still seem pretty decent.

So it's a connect thing.

I think it's seriously down to scheduling. Too many night games. Most people I talk to want 3pm kick off on Sunday or 7/7.30pm for night games. It used to be find when it was 7.30 kick off, 8.30 delay on 9. The NRL need to go back to looking at their slots and when it's the best for games. They really need to invest in Perth to get them that other time slot.

No Thursday / Monday night games unless it's a long weekend.

One Friday night game. The rest over Saturday and Sunday.

But we're going around in circles.

It's not the product. It's the promotion and scheduling of the game. And prices. f**k me...$30 GA at ANZ. Teams are getting guaranteed $$$ despite the crowd. Do something to encourage people there FFS. I'd go to 2-3 more games a weekend if the prices weren't so high.

adamkungl

Immortal
I think we have our wires crossed, I was referring to Dogs v Panthers. I doubt Pepper or Belmore would've netted many more.

That said I do believe WIN hosted NPL soccer at the weekend and was N/A (hence why the ISP game had to be played Friday night)

Ah. Yeah Dogs should stick to ANZ. Not really another option anyway. Belmore for low draw out of towners

beave

Coach
Who actually sets the prices for tickets at ANZ?

If it's the individual clubs who set the price but then the actual stadium gets whatever money is raised (hence why each club gets a guaranteed $100k per game) then if it were me, i'd make it $10 GA and $30 for the better seats. Or something along those lines. I guess it's all speculation because if its the ANZ stadium itself that sets the prices than it can't/won't happen but it would be a better look for the clubs if they enticed the punters out to that shithole with bargain priced tickets.

Sideline tickets for Souths vs Titans are $40 concession, $35ish for kids, $61 for adults.

2 adults, 2 kids...you're looking at almost $200 for a no name Friday night game.

Puh-lease!!!

They also banged up parking to flat fee $25. A few years ago it was staggered on an hourly basis. 4 hours max was $20. Now, $25 no matter what.

$225 just for game and parking. And they wonder why people don't go to games.

http://premier.ticketek.com.au/events/RBS517/venues/AUS/performances/ERBS0000017E/tickets

Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 1.11.05 pm.png

And why doesn't U20s finish 10-15 minutes before main game and not a full bloody HOUR!!! To sit around and twiddle thumbs.

These seats are slightly less in $$$ price but still a rip off:

Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 1.15.41 pm.png

Clifferd

Coach
It can't be all doom and gloom because there are games getting good crowds, and ratings still seem pretty decent.

So it's a connect thing.

I think it's seriously down to scheduling. Too many night games. Most people I talk to want 3pm kick off on Sunday or 7/7.30pm for night games. It used to be find when it was 7.30 kick off, 8.30 delay on 9. The NRL need to go back to looking at their slots and when it's the best for games. They really need to invest in Perth to get them that other time slot.

No Thursday / Monday night games unless it's a long weekend.

One Friday night game. The rest over Saturday and Sunday.

But we're going around in circles.

It's not the product. It's the promotion and scheduling of the game. And prices. f**k me...$30 GA at ANZ. Teams are getting guaranteed $$$ despite the crowd. Do something to encourage people there FFS. I'd go to 2-3 more games a weekend if the prices weren't so high.

Pretty much yep. And the fact people see thousands of empty seats, people don't really see that as appealing so they'd rather watch at home.

People go to origins, Easter Fridays & Mondays & Anzac Day etc because they wanna be apart of the experience
of packed out stadiums

We need more incentive for people to go to games

They need to do things like World's Biggest Pajama Party and World's Biggest Dance Off and stuff that will get uni students, teens and kids wanting to go and pestering their parents.

They could actually sell full strength beer too.

Even offer a $$$ prize to a club that gets most fans to Sydney games.

Clifferd

Coach
They need to do things like World's Biggest Pajama Party and World's Biggest Dance Off and stuff that will get uni students, teens and kids wanting to go and pestering their parents.

They could actually sell full strength beer too.

Even offer a $$$ prize to a club that gets most fans to Sydney games.

Sharks had something good at their home ground a couple weeks back

Something like most creative banners or who can skull the most beers without dying of alcohol poisoning gets a cash prize (say $5000 or something)

Totally kidding about the beers one tho

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
While I have nfi what their crowd looked like or what was announced it's a bit rich trying to insult a 5? year old team for inflating a low crowd when these 50-100 year old Sydney teams in league are pretty clearly boosting themselves just to get a 5 digit number more often than not.
Any proof of this?

yobbo84

Coach
Found it interesting in a recent members video with Blake Solly (Souths CEO), that he said our two home games in Perth and Cairns bring in 50% of our match day revenue. So the ANZ Stadium money carrot can't be that significant.

The biggest issues are definitely pricing and scheduling. Yeah, it might be $30 for GA at ANZ, but GA at ANZ is horrible. A decent seat is $53 at the gate and $70 to sit near the half way line. All to watch a game that starts 8:10pm on a Thursday. Horrible, horrible pricing.

adamkungl

Immortal
Found it interesting in a recent members video with Blake Solly (Souths CEO), that he said our two home games in Perth and Cairns bring in 50% of our match day revenue. So the ANZ Stadium money carrot can't be that significant.

I've believed for a long time that the 100k guaranteed money (if that's still the deal) sets a very low bar that was suitable for Souths at a time when they were shithouse for decades and crowd averaging about 3.

I'm not sure what rental and game day costs would be at the SFS but if Roosters can get by with a mere fraction of the fans of The Pride of the League... I reckon there's more money in aiming to max crowds in home territory than take a flat figure from ANZ. But hey how many football clubs do I run, none.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

I could be wrong but I would've thought 'match-day revenue' would be defined as ticket sales on the day plus whatever the club's cut of merch and F&B is.

The ANZ up-front money would be stadium deal revenue paid annually at a best guess, and wouldn't form part of match day revenue?

adamkungl

Immortal
I could be wrong but I would've thought 'match-day revenue' would be defined as ticket sales on the day plus whatever the club's cut of merch and F&B is.

The ANZ up-front money would be stadium deal revenue paid annually at a best guess, and wouldn't form part of match day revenue?

Did a bit of googling, came up with this (2-parter)

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...t-home-20140425-zqzf1.html?rand=1398520570682

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...pays-off-for-sydney-clubs-20140426-zr05p.html

Some interest points

Souths had an awful deal in 2005 when they left the SFS making basically no money on game day.
They moved to ANZ for 100k per game, a necessary move at the time.
Their crowds have grown by ~5000 average since then on the back of on-field success.
Their new deal has no guaranteed upfront payment but they keep 100% of mach day profits.
(Parra and St George deals both have a flat guarantee + incentives)
58% of Souths members at time of writing lived in the very large area combing the inner west and greater western sydney (which imo is a misleading stat. Inner west is between ANZ and SFS giving no advantage either way. And doesn't take into account the highest concentration of fans is undoubtedly in South-East Sydney).

Roosters at the SFS keep 100% of ticket sales but lose out on merch and some signage opportunties which are taken by the SCG trust.

If I were Souths going forward I would use ANZ as leverage to force a better deal from the SFS.
I would argue that they are almost certain to draw a better crowd at the SFS than ANZ. And playing out of their home territory to me is a strong brand positive.
Question is what crowd increase is required to offset the less lucrative merchandise and signage?

It's hard to see this happening - reading the numbers it's certainly the less risky option to stay at ANZ. I think the SFS offers potentially better reward if things fall the right way though.