What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

Zadar

Juniors
They need to do things like World's Biggest Pajama Party and World's Biggest Dance Off and stuff that will get uni students, teens and kids wanting to go and pestering their parents.

They could actually sell full strength beer too.

Even offer a $$$ prize to a club that gets most fans to Sydney games.

No full strength booze? Probably thanks to the bulldogs supporters actions in the past.

Watched raiders roosters at Bruce last week and they had VB cans and four different canned spirits of full strength to choose from.

But if it was only half strength booze available, that wouldn't make me not want to go and see a match at the ground.

Marley

Juniors
GWS crowd was boosted by Essendon who have a lot of support in Sydney compared to other AFL teams.

Half of the stadium looked to be Essendon fans. But this a team that's 5 years old in NRL heartland.

How 2 Sydney teams can draw 9-11K is mind-boggling. Strange really when Melbourne storms draw that much in an AFL mad city.

GWS crowd was boosted by Essendon who have a lot of support in Sydney compared to other AFL teams.

Half of the stadium looked to be Essendon fans. But this a team that's 5 years old in NRL heartland.

How 2 Sydney teams can draw 9-11K is mind-boggling. Strange really when Melbourne storms draw that much in an AFL mad city.

The other half looked empty.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal

As i suggested in the game day threads, ridiculous that they didn't attempt a double header this round as 3 games were played at ANZ.

Manly at full capacity must be only 12k because it looked pretty full to me.

Largest non finals crowd in 1991...28,884

Between Saints 10,670 home ave vs Balmain 7205 home ave.

It was 5th vs 14th.

In Adelaide

If 10000 + TV audience is what we're happy to accept in Sydney, surely moving two teams to Adelaide and Perth and getting 10,000 home crowds + Sydney TV audiences + new market, fans, sponsors etc would be better?

Are you volunteering your team?

Yep. I would.

You cant discuss bringing in Perth and Adelaide witnout it being on the table.

But I cant see anything for the good of the game happening, so I guess it wont happen.

Most people are watching on TV. Who really gives a f**k where they play?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Found it interesting in a recent members video with Blake Solly (Souths CEO), that he said our two home games in Perth and Cairns bring in 50% of our match day revenue. So the ANZ Stadium money carrot can't be that significant.

The biggest issues are definitely pricing and scheduling. Yeah, it might be $30 for GA at ANZ, but GA at ANZ is horrible. A decent seat is $53 at the gate and $70 to sit near the half way line. All to watch a game that starts 8:10pm on a Thursday. Horrible, horrible pricing.

When you consider Souths sold around 10,500 tickets at an avg $35 each plus 1000 WA memberships at $70 plus all the corporate boxes at nib plus WA give sponsorship they would make a mint from the Perth game.

Anz should be not be used full stop when the new WS stadium is ready, and tickets should be $5 kids $25 adults sit anywhere. Tickets are currently priced at a once every couple of months event level not at a weekly attendance level. How often would you go to the cinema if it cost you $70?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I know league is very popular in NSW.
It's (at this point in time) comfortably the most popular sport in the state but it's clearly not popular/enticing enough as a purely on field product for people to attend.

Also the social media thing IS the NRL and clubs working to engage fans.
I have every single team linked to my accounts so it's not as if the people clicking 'like' on these things don't know what's going on.

If the product is something the people want, they will go.....the NRL I'm increasingly finding is simply a water cooler talk type sport and that's about it.

Part of the problem I see is that it is popular in country nsw but tbh the figures for Sydney are pretty poor when you look at tv audiences, attendances, memberships etc. is it really that popular in Sydney, a city of over 5 million when two Sydney teams are lucky to get 12k attending?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Yep. I would.

You cant discuss bringing in Perth and Adelaide witnout it being on the table.

But I cant see anything for the good of the game happening, so I guess it wont happen.

Most people are watching on TV. Who really gives a f**k where they play?
Fair dos.

Last Week

Bench
Part of the problem I see is that it is popular in country nsw but tbh the figures for Sydney are pretty poor when you look at tv audiences, attendances, memberships etc. is it really that popular in Sydney, a city of over 5 million when two Sydney teams are lucky to get 12k attending?

You answered your own poorly constructed question, in your question.

If the ratings are high in Sydney, wouldn't that suggest that it's popular?

Troll.

Raiderdave

First Grade
When you consider Souths sold around 10,500 tickets at an avg $35 each plus 1000 WA memberships at $70 plus all the corporate boxes at nib plus WA give sponsorship they would make a mint from the Perth game.

Anz should be not be used full stop when the new WS stadium is ready, and tickets should be $5 kids $25 adults sit anywhere. Tickets are currently priced at a once every couple of months event level not at a weekly attendance level. How often would you go to the cinema if it cost you $70?

what are you suggesting the govt should spend 700 million on a ground that'll be used 5 times a year or less ?

anz should & will be used
it'll have to be to justify the spend

Raiderdave

First Grade

compared to what else in Sydney exactly ?

union ?
they have 1 side , not 9 & can barely muster 12K, with no one watching on tv

sooker ?
2 sides , & when they're not playing each other .... can barely muster 12K , with no one watching on tv

AFL
2 sides
one is on top of the ladder & can't crack 5 figures legit
the other does all right for crowds after 20 years of assisted success , but the proof with be in a sustained period of failure.
and again .. no one watching these 2 on tv either

so
popular compared to what in Sydney ?

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Sydney as a sports spectating market in general seems to be in a bit of a lull tbh

I feel this is definitely what has happened. People in Sydney are disengaged a lot more from sports in general for a lot of reasons. The Nrl really needs to make a push with help from clubs/media and the current fan base. Reciprocal rights for all club members should be standard or at least free if I have a paying friend. Meaning a sharks supporter would get free GA to a Brisbane v sharks game at suncorp. It would allow a full paying club member potential access to 24 games. This incentive would obviously help the Sydney clubs a lot more than any other clubs. If it was a free entry if you have a ga paying friend it helps grow the crowd. Something out of the norm has to happen. The Sydney clubs spend a lot of time together in meetings, why can't they come up with a way to increase crowds. It helps there bottom line after all.

T-Boon

Coach
popular compared to what in Sydney ?

Vivid. A lot of people seem to be going to vivid. Lots of different little shows on at Vivid. It's not the one thing. Maybe games at ANZ could have light shows.
Or they could show Bollywood movies at one end and old cricket footage at the other which might get some Indians to the games. If Parra could tap into the Indian community then...cool.

Latest posts