What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

hutch

First Grade
I haven't actually looked at their crowds closely enough. If you take out the GWS and suns how do their crowds look? Have they stagnated overall or has expanding into unfriendly markets made the average look stagnate.

Regardless there is a difference between having your crowds stagnate around 35K compared to just 16K.
Their gross crowd total for the year actually dropped by a few hundred thousand after they added a 9th game if I can recall correctly.
I'm not making excuses for our crowds, they are not where they should be. There are so many fixable factors which could help improve crowds. The nrl, the networks, nrl clubs and stadium managements are all to blame.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Weathers looking good for Perth game lol. Hardly ever rains here, except when there is an nrl game!

Saturday 1 July
Summary
storm.png

Min 9
Max 17
Showers. Possible storm.
Possible rainfall: 8 to 20 mm
Chance of any rain: 100%
rain_100.gif

Perth area
Cloudy. Very high (95%) chance of showers. The chance of a thunderstorm and small hail in the afternoon and evening. Winds westerly 15 to 25 km/h turning south to southwesterly 20 to 30 km/h during the day.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Their gross crowd total for the year actually dropped by a few hundred thousand after they added a 9th game if I can recall correctly.
I'm not making excuses for our crowds, they are not where they should be. There are so many fixable factors which could help improve crowds. The nrl, the networks, nrl clubs and stadium managements are all to blame.

They cracked 30k in 1997 and peaked at 37k in 2008/2010, been dropping since to a low of 32k last year though appears to be bouncing back this year with 34k so far

In comparison we cracked 14k in 2000, peaked at 16k 2009-12 then dropped away to 15k last season and this year.

Suitman

Post Whore
I also don't think the A league is the best comparison. Soccer is a second rate sport in this country and its crowds reflect that.
The A-League crowds average just over 3000 below the NRL, while the NRL average over 17000 below the AFL. Considering the NRL is the country's second biggest football code, and the A-League is as you call it - second rate, I think the NRL has plenty to worry about tbh, and not from the A-league.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Not true.
Victorianball would have averaged 34,368 last year without the 2 lastest additions
the years in the last 20 that average would have been smaller then

so are the 2 new sides the reason for stagnation in fumbelball crowds ?

apparently not : )

POPEYE

Coach
The A-League crowds average just over 3000 below the NRL, while the NRL average over 17000 below the AFL. Considering the NRL is the country's second biggest football code, and the A-League is as you call it - second rate, I think the NRL has plenty to worry about tbh, and not from the A-league.
If Rugby League supporters changed their allegiance to Aussie Rules and vice versa AFL would average 17k below NRL . . . such is the nature of the lower Antipodeans and their brethren

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The NRL should be compared with sports people actually care about. AFL crowds are stagnate but they're stagnate at a level well above ours. Im also assuming that GWS and the suns would be dragging down the average so the rest of the rams must be up if crowds are stagnate.

The only other big sport is cricket and big bash crowds have exploded in size over the past few years.
AFL's crowds are interesting. Victorian crowds recently I recall as being slightly down. Yes - GWS & Gold Coast drag the averages down, but I actually think that's counteracted by an upswing in crowds in Adelaide since both clubs there moved to AO instead of AAMI Stadium. Net result is stagnation in crowd figures there too - but as you say, at a higher level.

Not sure we can compare Big Bash crowds, that's a 6-8 week comp over a holiday period. Short & sharp is part of its appeal, only 4 home games each, little emotional investment required etc

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The A-League crowd average is all well and good but outside the two derbies (six games) there's not much to celebrate in terms of attendance... and even less in ratings.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Is this Soccer shit not dying yet you Aussie f**kers as YES we in GB have a problem but loads of people are getting f**ked off and getting into Rugby....but sadly it's not League.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Weathers looking good for Perth game lol. Hardly ever rains here, except when there is an nrl game!

Saturday 1 July
Summary
storm.png

Min 9
Max 17
Showers. Possible storm.
Possible rainfall: 8 to 20 mm
Chance of any rain: 100%
rain_100.gif

Perth area
Cloudy. Very high (95%) chance of showers. The chance of a thunderstorm and small hail in the afternoon and evening. Winds westerly 15 to 25 km/h turning south to southwesterly 20 to 30 km/h during the day.
That's God's way of saying he doesn't want a team in Perth.

Valheru

Coach
still stagnation einstein

Dave, it isn't hard to work out why it is different.

AFL is the big boy in town (in terms of crowds) and they have stagnated at a world class average. That means there is opportunity for the NRL to close the gap and saying we are happy with ours stagnating at half the amount because the AFL has is ridiculous.

It would be like Vodafone being happy with a stagnating subscription rate because Telstra's has stagnated.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Dave, it isn't hard to work out why it is different.

AFL is the big boy in town (in terms of crowds) and they have stagnated at a world class average. That means there is opportunity for the NRL to close the gap and saying we are happy with ours stagnating at half the amount because the AFL has is ridiculous.

It would be like Vodafone being happy with a stagnating subscription rate because Telstra's has stagnated.
Who said we should be happy ?
But again
The comment was made that the NRL crowds have stagnated
The fact is , regardless of where the AFL got to 20 years ago & the NRL did a bit over 10 years ago

Neither code has shown any growth in crowds.
This isn't disputable !!

Billythekid

First Grade
Who said we should be happy ?
But again
The comment was made that the NRL crowds have stagnated
The fact is , regardless of where the AFL got to 20 years ago & the NRL did a bit over 10 years ago

Neither code has shown any growth in crowds.
This isn't disputable !!

This is true that has been established. Whether that actually means something is another question.

The fact that the AFL has stagnated at such a high level (whilst also adding new teams in expansion markets) doesn't mean that it's ok that the NRL has stagnated and even dropped this year.

Before you respond with the usual deflection, yes I'm aware where the conversation started and it has moved on.

Honestly it feels like you're dealing with people directly employed by NRL PR at times on here.

Latest posts