What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

Perth Red

Post Whore
Who said we should be happy ?
But again
The comment was made that the NRL crowds have stagnated
The fact is , regardless of where the AFL got to 20 years ago & the NRL did a bit over 10 years ago

Neither code has shown any growth in crowds.
This isn't disputable !!

As I pointed out that is a bit simplistic, over last 20 years both codes saw reasonable growth then drop off. AFL can blame two new clubs and seems to have signs of recovery this year (will be even more next year when the Perth stadium can take an extra 20k a game) whilst NRL's has dropped then stuck but this year has dropped again. Hopefully the new stadiums in Sydney and NQ will give us a boost in a couple of years and the NRLs control of scheduling SHOULD improve things. We are locked into 5 years of KO times though and that is going to be a significant factor, especially as we will have more Thursday night games from next year.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Weathers looking good for Perth game lol. Hardly ever rains here, except when there is an nrl game!

Saturday 1 July
Summary
storm.png

Min 9
Max 17
Showers. Possible storm.
Possible rainfall: 8 to 20 mm
Chance of any rain: 100%
rain_100.gif

Perth area
Cloudy. Very high (95%) chance of showers. The chance of a thunderstorm and small hail in the afternoon and evening. Winds westerly 15 to 25 km/h turning south to southwesterly 20 to 30 km/h during the day.

Any update to this weather forecast?

Hope it doesn't get too grim over there....

By the way.. Perth's annual rainfall is about 700mm a year compared to Sydney's 1200mm so hope you can keep this in mind in the future when explaining away poor crowds...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ive never said rain isn't a reason people don't go to games. What I've said is without decent facilities and a larger baseline rain is going to be a much bigger factor in clubs experiencing embarrassing 7k attendances. I don't blame any fan for refusing to pay $50 to sit in the rain for 2 hours in an uninspiring game day experience.

Something I just discovered for nib through ticketmaster is that if you book tickets using your phone or ipad you have no choice in what it offers you, if you book on a computer you can pick your seat.

After paying $180 for 3 of us to sit in the rain for 2 hours at the Souths game I wasn't planning on going to this one because it kept offering me uncovered seating and I've seen the forecast, but then discovered I could choose a seat I know will stay dry and will now be going. I wonder if others know this and if it effects peoples decision to go or not? I've always used my ipad for bookings so never realised this was an option before. Nib has around 15k undercover capacity so I would think most would choose these fi they could on a day like is forecast for Saturday.

No other code come up with more excuses to not attend than attend even on perfect conditions, team in top form still excuses to not attend. Thursday and 6pm friday are excusable the other timeslots are not.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Who said we should be happy ?
But again
The comment was made that the NRL crowds have stagnated
The fact is , regardless of where the AFL got to 20 years ago & the NRL did a bit over 10 years ago

Neither code has shown any growth in crowds.
This isn't disputable !!
Difference with that is AFL haven't had a Super League war and is not run by TV driven incompetent suits.

Raiderdave

First Grade
As I pointed out that is a bit simplistic, over last 20 years both codes saw reasonable growth then drop off. AFL can blame two new clubs and seems to have signs of recovery this year (will be even more next year when the Perth stadium can take an extra 20k a game) whilst NRL's has dropped then stuck but this year has dropped again. Hopefully the new stadiums in Sydney and NQ will give us a boost in a couple of years and the NRLs control of scheduling SHOULD improve things. We are locked into 5 years of KO times though and that is going to be a significant factor, especially as we will have more Thursday night games from next year.

It's been proven without the 2 new clubs there's still be next to know growth in crowds in the Afl for a couple of decades
And as for growth this year , let's wait til their season is completed

And again
The NRLs season is not complete so let's not assume we've dropped either.

Raiderdave

First Grade
This is true that has been established. Whether that actually means something is another question.

The fact that the AFL has stagnated at such a high level (whilst also adding new teams in expansion markets) doesn't mean that it's ok that the NRL has stagnated and even dropped this year.

Before you respond with the usual deflection, yes I'm aware where the conversation started and it has moved on.

Honestly it feels like you're dealing with people directly employed by NRL PR at times on here.

And I often feel you're employed by AFLs PR

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's been proven without the 2 new clubs there's still be next to know growth in crowds in the Afl for a couple of decades
And as for growth this year , let's wait til their season is completed

And again
The NRLs season is not complete so let's not assume we've dropped either.

No it hasn't!
1996 - 29,637
2008 - 36,997 20% increase
2017 - 34,340 10% decline
Clearly movement

NRL
1995 13,918
2010 16,407 18% increase
2017 14,904 9 % decline
Clearly movement

There hasn't been 20 years stagnation, nor for the NRL. There has been growth, reduction and some recent stagnation for both codes
Mid term results lol We have dropped at this stage, but yes they may pick up hopefully once the Origin drain is out of the way

taipan

Referee
Difference with that is AFL haven't had a Super League war and is not run by TV driven incompetent suits.

I nearly fell off my throne.I actually agree with Teddles on this one,and I'm as sober as the next man.
Little does anyone realise ,I am the next man, with apologies to the Goons.
The SL war was the biggest cut and scar left on any code in this country, since it was first settled.
The ARL had $25m estimated in the bank circa 1995 ,had expansion up and running in Perth and Banana 2,now look at the mess.The ARL ended up with zilch zero.Fans left some temporarily, some for good never to return.
Someone suggested it would take 10 years to get back to where we were in 1995 .IMO we ain't there yet.
The NRL don't even have $25m (and that was 20 year ago money) now lying around.

Last edited:

Raiderdave

First Grade
No it hasn't!
1996 - 29,637
2008 - 36,997 20% increase
2017 - 34,340 10% decline
Clearly movement

NRL
1995 13,918
2010 16,407 18% increase
2017 14,904 9 % decline
Clearly movement

There hasn't been 20 years stagnation, nor for the NRL. There has been growth, reduction and some recent stagnation for both codes
Mid term results lol We have dropped at this stage, but yes they may pick up hopefully once the Origin drain is out of the way

hahahahaha , cherry pick your examples why dont you
try 1997 to 2016 for both codes
2 decades
AFL
33197 to 31877
high of 36,993 or around 10% up
decline of 17.5% on the high mark

NRL
1997 to 2016
11,131 ( super league & ARL combined & averaged & yeah , it may not be the best marker )
to 15,214
high of 16,468 in 2005 or nearly 50% up
decline of 9% to 2016 on the high mark of 2005

between the years above
stagnation ... both codes are where they were roughly 20 years ago.

undertaker

Coach
The sad thing is not only tonight's game, but the Bulldogs/Eels clash later in the season is also on a Thursday night.

Shaves about 10k off the crowd attendance had it been held on Friday 7:50pm/Saturday night/Sunday arvo.

Raiderdave

First Grade
The sad thing is not only tonight's game, but the Bulldogs/Eels clash later in the season is also on a Thursday night.

Shaves about 10k off the crowd attendance had it been held on Friday 7:50pm/Saturday night/Sunday arvo.

bring on 2018
both these clashes on a weekend day with the NRL in control of the draw next year

& Ch 9 can get the 8th ranked game for their big Thursday night game
with a bit of luck the NRL can convince them to move it to Saturday night & they'll get better match ups : )

Last edited:

insert.pause

First Grade
Two of the biggest clubs in Sydney, two traditional rivals, both playing at their home ground and they can't scrape together 20k. Let's be honest, regardless of the time slot, regardless of the clubs form and every other excuse, It's shithouse, unsustainable and embarrassing for the game.

Latest posts