What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

Perth Red

Post Whore
I nearly fell off my throne.I actually agree with Teddles on this one,and I'm as sober as the next man.
Little does anyone realise ,I am the next man, with apologies to the Goons.
The SL war was the biggest cut and scar left on any code in this country, since it was first settled.
The ARL had $25m estimated in the bank circa 1995 ,had expansion up and running in Perth and Banana 2,now look at the mess.The ARL ended up with zilch zero.Fans left some temporarily, some for good never to return.
Someone suggested it would take 10 years to get back to where we were in 1995 .IMO we ain't there yet.
The NRL don't even have $25m (and that was 20 year ago money) now lying around.

The sad thing is 2012 looked like th year we had finally turned the corner. Record avg crowd, mega bucks tv deal due to start, news Ltd finally kicked out of running (ruining) the ga,r, lots of talk of expansion happening in 2013. Had we finally left 1997 behind and started our bright new future? It certainly looked that way. But here we are 5 years later. Clubs are broke, nrl claims it has no money, its spent its reserves, crowds are down and expansion looks as likely as a warriors premiership. Sigh.

The last five years have been soooo disappointing, no excuses, more money than could have been dreamed about in the early90's and an independent commission doing what's best for the game not tv. Massive failure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vee

adamkungl

Immortal
Two of the biggest clubs in Sydney, two traditional rivals, both playing at their home ground and they can't scrape together 20k. Let's be honest, regardless of the time slot, regardless of the clubs form and every other excuse, It's shithouse, unsustainable and embarrassing for the game.

It's not even worth caring about these crowds. This game gets 30k on a Sunday arvo even with the Dogs playing poorly.

Thursday night games are the worst cancer the inept NRL has inflicted upon the sport since the shoulder charge ban.

At least when they had Monday night footy it was on at 7pm so people could get home at a reasonable hour!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
14,061. Poor, no two ways about it.

ANZ trying positive spin and they're right in saying it's the best Thursday night crowd in Sydney this season - but on the flipside it's the worst Dogs-Eels crowd since May 2006.

ATOWN2

Juniors
14,061. Poor, no two ways about it.

ANZ trying positive spin and they're right in saying it's the best Thursday night crowd in Sydney this season - but on the flipside it's the worst Dogs-Eels crowd since May 2006.

14k is terrible. Apart from the time slot I think it's also the Dogs style of play that turns off viewers- they're averaging 14 points a game. I'll be honest if the Dogs weren't playing the Eels I wouldn't have even bothered watching it on tv.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
wow approx 40,000 people had free tickets to this game...

14,000 anz members
13,000 each ticketed members

So pricing isnt the issue

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Broncos crowd tonight will be a good figure, but should be more... Rain will clear early so hopefully wont turn off to many and result in a big walk up.

I feel people put all their money into origin 3 tickets and cant be bothered.

Teddyboy

First Grade
I nearly fell off my throne.I actually agree with Teddles on this one,and I'm as sober as the next man.
Little does anyone realise ,I am the next man, with apologies to the Goons.
The SL war was the biggest cut and scar left on any code in this country, since it was first settled.
The ARL had $25m estimated in the bank circa 1995 ,had expansion up and running in Perth and Banana 2,now look at the mess.The ARL ended up with zilch zero.Fans left some temporarily, some for good never to return.
Someone suggested it would take 10 years to get back to where we were in 1995 .IMO we ain't there yet.
The NRL don't even have $25m (and that was 20 year ago money) now lying around.
Lets break bread and wine.

Teddyboy

First Grade
The sad thing is 2012 looked like th year we had finally turned the corner. Record avg crowd, mega bucks tv deal due to start, news Ltd finally kicked out of running (ruining) the ga,r, lots of talk of expansion happening in 2013. Had we finally left 1997 behind and started our bright new future? It certainly looked that way. But here we are 5 years later. Clubs are broke, nrl claims it has no money, its spent its reserves, crowds are down and expansion looks as likely as a warriors premiership. Sigh.

The last five years have been soooo disappointing, no excuses, more money than could have been dreamed about in the early90's and an independent commission doing what's best for the game not tv. Massive failure.
I always thought 2003 in the face of the Rugby Union World Cup in Australia was the year we turned the corner as crowds started to come back to the club game alongside a fantastic grand final or even 2002 with the Roosters and Warriors grand final and in my pissed stained red eyes the game in club crowds was doing fine in the Gallop era and he was a lacky for News Ltd.

taipan

Referee

The so called past mega TV deals could only go so far, when players' salaries skyrocketed, other costs such as insurance's ditto, clubs such as Titans and Knights needing taking over,Dragons and Tigers getting financial assistance,fumbleball throwing in huge sums of money(which they had) in the Nth states.digital dept, the introduction of thursday night and now also 6 pm Friday night football screwed fans, the b*ggered hellishly congested Sydney transport system requiring billions of dollars in the form of new rail systems, and roads still being in the throes and planned are some of the issues confronting not only the game ,but the fans who spend their money, many with families.
Grassroots and the bush has been neglected, it needs rectifying.Oh and just so you know, the cost of living in Sydney ,makes Perth look like shantytown, with due respect.

You can call simplistically call them excuses, but unless you live in Sydney,drive or catch public transport regularly to get around,undertand the topography of the place where you major stadium(supposedly centralised) is tucked away with no direct rail link , not configured for rectangular sports,having as much cover as an umbrella in a blizzard, then to be kind you have NFI.
I have lived here for a fair whack(in fact my life) the road I travel to get to the Sydney CBD and ANZ has not changed one iota in decades,yet the traffic has increased 5 fold.No matter of marketing expenditure is going to get me to ANZ unless its finals,whilst I have to put up with that crap.

You can sit back in a comfy lounge chair in a city 2 hours away by the clock,witjh none of these transport or club issues.
At the same time ignore the money AFL has wasted over the years (not a couple of million but many millions ),ignored the financial sucking up from state Govt to build huge AFL friendly stadiums with SFA transport issues.Bearing in mind the bulk of Swan's fans live within their geographical environs.And ignoring at all times the MEGA money they got from TV deals to throw money around like there's no tomorrow. Yet AFL clubs lost $93m last year.And yet it still doesn't sink in .

Any serious rl fans wants their code to grow and become National,but any serious fan with half a clue and lives in the real world, knows about the current impediments besetting the code.You can't see it, because you live in a Disney World where everything just happens and money is not an issue.That's plain and simply Goofy thinking.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The so called past mega TV deals could only go so far, when players' salaries skyrocketed, other costs such as insurance's ditto, clubs such as Titans and Knights needing taking over,Dragons and Tigers getting financial assistance,fumbleball throwing in huge sums of money(which they had) in the Nth states.digital dept, the introduction of thursday night and now also 6 pm Friday night football screwed fans, the b*ggered hellishly congested Sydney transport system requiring billions of dollars in the form of new rail systems, and roads still being in the throes and planned are some of the issues confronting not only the game ,but the fans who spend their money, many with families.
Grassroots and the bush has been neglected, it needs rectifying.Oh and just so you know, the cost of living in Sydney ,makes Perth look like shantytown, with due respect.

You can call simplistically call them excuses, but unless you live in Sydney,drive or catch public transport regularly to get around,undertand the topography of the place where you major stadium(supposedly centralised) is tucked away with no direct rail link , not configured for rectangular sports,having as much cover as an umbrella in a blizzard, then to be kind you have NFI.
I have lived here for a fair whack(in fact my life) the road I travel to get to the Sydney CBD and ANZ has not changed one iota in decades,yet the traffic has increased 5 fold.No matter of marketing expenditure is going to get me to ANZ unless its finals,whilst I have to put up with that crap.

You can sit back in a comfy lounge chair in a city 2 hours away by the clock,witjh none of these transport or club issues.
At the same time ignore the money AFL has wasted over the years (not a couple of million but many millions ),ignored the financial sucking up from state Govt to build huge AFL friendly stadiums with SFA transport issues.Bearing in mind the bulk of Swan's fans live within their geographical environs.And ignoring at all times the MEGA money they got from TV deals to throw money around like there's no tomorrow. Yet AFL clubs lost $93m last year.And yet it still doesn't sink in .

Any serious rl fans wants their code to grow and become National,but any serious fan with half a clue and lives in the real world, knows about the current impediments besetting the code.You can't see it, because you live in a Disney World where everything just happens and money is not an issue.That's plain and simply Goofy thinking.

Yadda Yadda, Sydney this, afl that. Fact is the game is at best stagnant despite huge sums of money and independent ownership. Anyway you want to spin it that is shthouse.

Greenstar5

Juniors
Games that double up during the season and would you think draw a good crowd; Eels vs Dogs, Souths Vs Roosters etc. Surely 1 game could be the TV game, Thursday or Friday night and the second game later on the year could be in a more fan friendly time slot of Saturday or Sunday.

Also i think it is silly having both a game at Robina and a game at Lang Park on the same round, let alone on the same night.

There should be a game every round in South East Queensland. Either in Brisbane or the Gold Coast. Tonights Robina game could draw a pretty good crowd, but it is up against a blockbuster up the road.

I would like to see the NRL take advantage of school holidays as well, currently school holidays in Queensland, no game in SEQ last weekend, but 2 tonight? make kids under 16 free to games, allow families to get onto the ground after the game for a kick. Have the players engage with the crowd post the game.

POPEYE

Coach
Games that double up during the season and would you think draw a good crowd; Eels vs Dogs, Souths Vs Roosters etc. Surely 1 game could be the TV game, Thursday or Friday night and the second game later on the year could be in a more fan friendly time slot of Saturday or Sunday.

Also i think it is silly having both a game at Robina and a game at Lang Park on the same round, let alone on the same night.

There should be a game every round in South East Queensland. Either in Brisbane or the Gold Coast. Tonights Robina game could draw a pretty good crowd, but it is up against a blockbuster up the road.

I would like to see the NRL take advantage of school holidays as well, currently school holidays in Queensland, no game in SEQ last weekend, but 2 tonight? make kids under 16 free to games, allow families to get onto the ground after the game for a kick. Have the players engage with the crowd post the game.
Good start . . . wish you well

taipan

Referee
Yadda Yadda, Sydney this, afl that. Fact is the game is at best stagnant despite huge sums of money and independent ownership. Anyway you want to spin it that is shthouse.

Proving once again you have NFI about Sydney,and could be living in a lean to in Somalia and pretend to be an expert.
You wouldn't know a traffic light,from a headlight.

OK champ,do a bit of research ,if you are capable of doing so.
In season 2012,the Bulldogs were minor premiers (a major Sydney drawing club when successful.Guess what the Rabbitohs were coming 3rd in the comp, again when successful, drag in the crowds.
RD 1 the Warriors played the Eagles at Eden Park getting over 37,000.
Newcastle Knights were getting crowds and not hopeless performers, of 24-29,000 at Hunter on a regular basis in that year.No Thursday night or 6pm Friday football to stuff things up.All helping averages.

If big drawing clubs perform poorly, if they operate at the same time in ANZ stadium at dumb hours it affects crowds.

Once again you cannot bring yourself to accept the fact AFL have made some financial blunders.You sir are nothing more than a whining, fumbler stooge,living in a bubble of your own making, and proving the whining Pom title, is alive and well in this country.

And melad, I have never suggested the game is growing ,except marking time.

But I have also outlaid the fact money should be spent first where it is desperately needed, and current NRL clubs should at least be given an opportunity to perform with the new Cap.
Fix the plumbing and whiteant issues, then you can extend the house.Not the other way round.

Last edited:

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
Proving once again you have NFI about Sydney,and could be living in a lean to in Somalia and pretend to be an expert.
You wouldn't know a traffic light,from a headlight.

OK champ,do a bit of research ,if you are capable of doing so.
In season 2012,the Bulldogs were minor premiers (a major Sydney drawing club when successful.Guess what the Rabbitohs were coming 3rd in the comp, again when successful, drag in the crowds.
RD 1 the Warriors played the Eagles at Eden Park getting over 37,000.
Newcastle Knights were getting crowds and not hopeless performers, of 24-29,000 at Hunter on a regular basis in that year.No Thursday night or 6pm Friday football to stuff things up.

If big drawing clubs perform poorly, if they operate at the same time in ANZ stadium at dumb hours it affects crowds.

Once again you cannot bring yourself to accept the fact AFL have made some financial blunders.You sir are nothing more than a whining, fumbler stooge,living in a bubble of your own making, and proving the whining Pom title, is alive and well in this country.

And melad, I have never suggested the game is growing ,except marking time.

But I have also outlaid the fact money should be spent first where it is desperately needed, and current NRL clubs should at least be given an opportunity to perform with the new Cap.
Fix the plumbing and whiteant issues, then you can extend the house.Not the other way round.
At the end of the day, RL has been played for more than 100 years, in the winter months and is engrained in the culture of Sydney and Brisbane as the most supported football code. Anything below a 20-25k league average should be a disappointment given the dominance of the game in the Sydney and Brisbane cultural landscape. It points to a serious lack of engagement between the league, its clubs and its supporters to ensure broad, mass appeal in attending games, that does not seem to be so visible in other sports across the country and the world.

Latest posts