What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

taipan

Referee
Easy fixed. Get rid of the club coming last whose home ground has poor facilities, is costing the sport more than most that can't pull a crowd.

This shit excuse that out of Sydney clubs don't bring fans to Sydney games is pathetic. It's (supposed to be) a "national" comp and Sydney clubs have the massive advantage of having the majority of opposition fans on their doorstep and still think playing a team from another city is reason to not show up. If you can't pull a respectable crowd without relying on away fans you shouldn't be in the national competition. That's before you consider the multitude of other reasons they aren't worthy.

Good LOL.The Old SL way.Toss em out ALA the Nth Sydney Bears and open up a whole new area for the fumblers, which they have taken advantage of already.
Remember when the Warriors,then the Sharks the Raiders were all suggested to be flicked at different times.Souths flicked fumblers said thanks we'll grab more fans.

The SEQ club Titans doesn't bring fans FFS.
Your last para perhaps you can apply that to the Broncos.They should fill that stadium to capacity all the time, no opposition no 8 other clubs to contend with,no interstate fans attending excuse.
That club got 45,000 one time when they played the Titans ,now its around the 20mark.

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
I think it was more the Victory rather than the Rebels that helped with the lobbying.Anycase the stadium is rarely full.
Again I suggest multi use stadiums regardless of crowd attendees are what the Govt are looking at.

In the case of GWS,they were the ones who made all the promises about being domiciled in Blacktown which was going to be their home,They dudes the local council moving out,dudded the State govt.Yet the State Govt was prepared to spend tens of millions on Spotless for years on pitiful crowds.Good lobbying in my view.

Shouldn't be ,current NRL teams have fans already in place, some active others sedentary.Historically there have been some big crowds at ANZ and Parra in the past involving Dogs/Parra/Tigers and Souths.The State Govt would be aware of these facts.Whereas a new team competing with the Swans already in place ,would be a riskier proposition.You(govt) just don't know what the future holds.

Melbourne's Etihad is near public transport direct,near the CBD.The AFL smartly in conjunction with ch7 got a bargain deal meaning they now own or will own Etihad.Sydney has nothing like that.The geography of this city(Sydney) and its spread is far bigger and spread than Melbourne.
Melbourne with a far better transport set up.
A classic example in Sydney is the F6 promised motorway.It's been in the plans for decades.Sti;l nothing has been done, and traffic has multiplied dramatically, to the extent on one occasion it took me 45 minutes to travel from Dolls Point to Brighton,a distance of about 3 -4kms on a weekday.Imagine if I'd been trying to get to the SFS for a 6pm game after work.
I attended the Grand Final by public transport, and despite late night departure still takes a fair whack of time to get home.
Sounds a lot like the troubles down in Victoria with Waverley park. Extremely hard to get to and felt like it was plonked in the coldest, windiest place in the state. Became useless and was bulldozed. NRL need some real lobbying clout to ensure infrastructure is adequate to ensure the transit of fans is as reasonable so it isn't a significant deciding factor in attending games.

taipan

Referee
Sounds a lot like the troubles down in Victoria with Waverley park. Extremely hard to get to and felt like it was plonked in the coldest, windiest place in the state. Became useless and was bulldozed. NRL need some real lobbying clout to ensure infrastructure is adequate to ensure the transit of fans is as reasonable so it isn't a significant deciding factor in attending games.

Waverley Park was owned by the VFL,the ARL/NRL owns nothing, zero.How's that for planning and that goes back many decades.
Mate, the lobbying should have been done years ago, once the SL war settled.We wouldn't be debating the pros and cons now.
The NRL is playing catchup ,when they should be now sitting back already expanded,with grassroots actually growing.
An example of the NRL amateurism was. Wagga.Can't quote the specifics but Gallop found out the AFL had lobbied the local council and they had received a large sum of money for local ground improvements.Gallop got the sh*ts "we should be getting part of the action."Left behind at the gate.

We didn't have a code lobby section until Smith came on board.I mean how many years has the NRL been operating prior? Like about 17 and still no lobby group.

We had a dopey CEO by the name of Moffat.I remember once on 2UE talkback I rang and spoke to him.Asked him why the NRL hasn't pushed the code in Private schools ,where it is not being held.His response"oh it's too hard."
So apparently if it's too hard, you ignore it.And we wonder why we sit still at times.
No wonder he ended pedalling a cycle around France.

I'll say this if the Parra stadium with all the bells and whistle ,a new reconfigured ANZ and better transport set up, can't get better crowds, then we have a real problem.

Last Week

Bench
We had 4 years of crowd avg's over 16k 2009-2012, from 2013 they started to drop and have continued to do so since. Whats that you say? around about the time the mega $ TV deal kicked in and the game commission took over? Yep.

Those years there was also some success for Sydney clubs which were better crowd pullers. Dragons, Tigers, the Dogs and Parra.

The Dogs and Souths have had some success since but they can only do so much.

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
Waverley Park was owned by the VFL,the ARL/NRL owns nothing, zero.How's that for planning and that goes back many decades.
Mate, the lobbying should have been done years ago, once the SL war settled.We wouldn't be debating the pros and cons now.
The NRL is playing catchup ,when they should be now sitting back already expanded,with grassroots actually growing.
An example of the NRL amateurism was. Wagga.Can't quote the specifics but Gallop found out the AFL had lobbied the local council and they had received a large sum of money for local ground improvements.Gallop got the sh*ts "we should be getting part of the action."Left behind at the gate.

We didn't have a code lobby section until Smith came on board.I mean how many years has the NRL been operating prior? Like about 17 and still no lobby group.

We had a dopey CEO by the name of Moffat.I remember once on 2UE talkback I rang and spoke to him.Asked him why the NRL hasn't pushed the code in Private schools ,where it is not being held.His response"oh it's too hard."
So apparently if it's too hard, you ignore it.And we wonder why we sit still at times.
No wonder he ended pedalling a cycle around France.

I'll say this if the Parra stadium with all the bells and whistle ,a new reconfigured ANZ and better transport set up, can't get better crowds, then we have a real problem.
Sure sounds like the attitude of politicians in this country. Looking at the short game
Instead of long term to save their own skins rather than look at the benefit of the game in 10, 20 years.

AFL are far from the perfect example but at least you can see that their is time and money spent on strategy and long term visions.

NRL are surely connected enough to some heavy hitters that they can start to build a healthier business plan that can set up both long and short term initiatives.

Crowd engagement has more positive impact on the game than just gate receipts and it should be a significant focus of the head office.

taipan

Referee
And they have bigger tv deals because they have expanded. They have earnt the money to be able to invest by strategically growing their footprint, you know the pins in maps thing, and their crowds and their funding strategies. We've done what? Nothing in the last 5 years despite all the money and independent decision making.
How many of the main kpi's in the Strat plan has the nrl achieved? Re ARL having to spend its $25mill in the bank, the commission has just done exactly the same again and spend all the moe y that it saved during the last mega deal because it still can't pay its way. Why is That? Your an apologist for the commission yet slate gallop, thebgame has been plagued with sht administration since forever and probably always will be. There is a reason Samuels has jumped ship.

You are right in one thing afl is spending vast sums more than nrl on growing their game, and guess what it means their revenue compared to nrl's is massively more, which means they can spend even more and somitbgoes in business.

But back to crowds, weather is turning to sht here this afternoon just in time for nrl!

They expanded because they got the big money at the beginning, we didn't and we used up $25m to fight of News Ltd.
The AFL are spending money because they have it ,completely unaffected by having their reserves vanish by a SL conflict.The same mob are spending money in huge dollops to underpin the Lions,GWS and Suns.
Nothing in the last 5 years LOL .For a start getting Govt to cough up $1.6bn is hardly nothing for infrastructure which will help, crowds and income.They have a lobby Dept ,which the previous admins did not.They are stetting up a digital dept of the future ,not a cheap exercise,They are keeping the likes of Titans and Knights operating until they are sold.Membership assistance is provided by H/O which has led to record numbers,still growing.They have record sponsorship at the NRL.Touch Football which the code owns, is an opening for future crowds and players.Funding towards the RLPA.Money spent and wasted on off field incidents with an integrity unit.

You can OK argue about loss of crowds,yet ignore scheduling and transport.Adult playing numbers are down, possibly due to lack of funding, but female participation has shot ahead.

I'm an apologist for no one.I'm put on this planet to put facts into your noggin.The NRL owes me nothing and I owe them nothing.
I followed this code before the NRL was a see in ribot's stomach.
You are bleater and ignore problems in other codes, yet are quite happy to promote them and cite them as the panacea when it suits.
You still don't get it.When the SRTL was in popper prior to 1995,expansion happened including your whining mob, and the ARTL even then had $25m in the Bank.So they had money to do things .It went in the pockets of the likes of players and Gould.

taipan

Referee
Sure sounds like the attitude of politicians in this country. Looking at the short game
Instead of long term to save their own skins rather than look at the benefit of the game in 10, 20 years.

AFL are far from the perfect example but at least you can see that their is time and money spent on strategy and long term visions.

NRL are surely connected enough to some heavy hitters that they can start to build a healthier business plan that can set up both long and short term initiatives.

Crowd engagement has more positive impact on the game than just gate receipts and it should be a significant focus of the head office.

You hit the nail on the head.
We should have been lobbying hard and often for 20 years by now for funding.The NRL CEOS could not look outside their comfort zone .Lobby groups from all walks of life ,have been hanging around Canberra and Sydney's Macquarie st for yonks.We finally get the message in 2013 LOL.

Suitman

Post Whore
I think it was more the Victory rather than the Rebels that helped with the lobbying.

It was indeed. Had it increased from 20000 to 30000. Of the three permanent tenants, the Victory have the highest average.
Why would the Vic Govt originally propose to build a 20000 rectangular seat stadium and not something larger.
Fear.

Last edited:
Good LOL.The Old SL way.Toss em out ALA the Nth Sydney Bears and open up a whole new area for the fumblers, which they have taken advantage of already.
Remember when the Warriors,then the Sharks the Raiders were all suggested to be flicked at different times.Souths flicked fumblers said thanks we'll grab more fans.

The SEQ club Titans doesn't bring fans FFS.
Your last para perhaps you can apply that to the Broncos.They should fill that stadium to capacity all the time, no opposition no 8 other clubs to contend with,no interstate fans attending excuse.
That club got 45,000 one time when they played the Titans ,now its around the 20mark.
The "fans will go to afl" blackmail bullshit has been proven wrong by numerous surveys. The Victorians get their support from Victorian expats and the eastern suburbs. They're not old Bears fans or old Balmian fans or old Wests fans or Souths fans who jumped ship in 1999. It's simply not true and never had been.

It's laughable that the Sydney apologists pull out this old threat constantly but refuse to even consider that the only places where RL is actually missing out on fans is in cities and markets where there are NO RL teams. And that certainly isn't Sydney. It's almost as funny as the apologists saying "but but but there's nine teams in Sydney" as an excuse for shit crowds but then lose their shit when someone says get rid of some then.

And as for a Sharks fan talking about super league AND advocating for Sydney clubs - HA!

Clifferd

Coach
Easy fixed. Get rid of the club coming last whose home ground has poor facilities, is costing the sport more than most that can't pull a crowd.

This shit excuse that out of Sydney clubs don't bring fans to Sydney games is pathetic. It's (supposed to be) a "national" comp and Sydney clubs have the massive advantage of having the majority of opposition fans on their doorstep and still think playing a team from another city is reason to not show up. If you can't pull a respectable crowd without relying on away fans you shouldn't be in the national competition. That's before you consider the multitude of other reasons they aren't worthy.

You are as thick as a brick. Actually that's being generous. Try 10 bricks combined

I'm forever grateful f**king gimps like you don't run this code

2010-12 nrl crowd averages boomed. Why? Because teams like the Tigers were up the top.

id be concerned if we were successful and didn't pull a crowd, but the truth is...we do..(even last year we didn't even finish in the 8 yet averaged the highest out of any Sydney team)

In other words, you're quite special

Kick a team out because they're coming last. Lol genius

seanoff

Juniors
I understand the AFL incurred a small loss also in 2016.

In fact the AFL lost $16M. But they also managed to buy a stadium and start a national womens comp.

No one has the first clue how the NRL lost money. They got a huge chunk of cash, went to the pub and pissed it up against the wall as far as anyone can tell

BuffaloRules

Coach
Well, under Smiths watch they got an independent review of Allianz/Moore park upgrade that cost about $750k...

Smith employed Shane Richo about the same amount to write a state of the game report where all the recommendations were ignored the day after the report was signed off...

Your mate Smith also gave away Origin to Nine for a pittance...

These are the same clowns that want to spend $150 mil on Digital/ Internet upgrades....

The mind boggles...

Last edited by a moderator:

Perth Red

Post Whore

There a north Sydney afl team? Must have missed their inclusion. Problem is not rationalising, it's leaving regions with no strategy for ongoing engagement. Once you move beyond the misinformed paradigm that you need a
N nrl club in every Sydney suburb to keep Sydney strong you can start to come up with a realistic future growth strategy.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well, under Smiths watch they got an independent review of Allianz/Moore park upgrade that cost about $750k...

Smith employed Shane Richo about the same amount to write a state of the game report where all the recommendations were ignored the day after the report was signed off...

Your mate Smith also gave away Origin to Nine for a pittance...

These are the same clowns that want to spend $150 mil on Digital/ Internet upgrades....

The mind boggles...

I'm no smith lover but he at least seemed to have an idea and a vision. He also wasn't afraid to put news ltd in their place which wins brownie points. The stadium investment would have been a commission plan, not a CEO's decision.

We have been blighted with sht leadership for 20 years, smith was just the best of a bad bunch.

Re Richo report, hard to say if it was good value, I suspect it was so radical, which in reality is what is needed, that the uber conservative commission binned it.

BuffaloRules

Coach
If the NRL can squander so poorly much smaller amounts of money, it does worry me what they will do with that $150 mil " Digital" spend...

Some Simpsons Monorail type will swindle them....

Teddyboy

First Grade
In fact the AFL lost $16M. But they also managed to buy a stadium and start a national womens comp.

No one has the first clue how the NRL lost money. They got a huge chunk of cash, went to the pub and pissed it up against the wall as far as anyone can tell
Must of took the advice from the Union chaps on how to get rid of a war chest.