What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

Valheru

Coach
True forgot about that...still prelims > Week 2 in terms of crowds

Seeing as it's a strong possibility Roosters v Parra in a prelim I wonder if they'd move it to anz ? or is it definitely Roosters right of way in terms of venue, because that game would draw much more than SFS capacity imo

Regarding the first part, Broncos will get ~50k regardless of whether it is week 2 or 3, Parra would get more in week 3 than 2 though.

I believe a prelim between roosters/parra would be at ANZ regardless of who has hosting rights. I haven' seen anything this year that confirms it but in the 2013/14 period when prelims against souths/dogs were a possibility the club were told the NRL would move them to ANZ if they felt the SFS would restrict crowd numbers.

As it turns out souths hosted us in 2014 and the crowd was 52k which is hardly an advertisement for a game to be moved away from SFS IMO but you would imagine parra fans would flock to any prelim final in Sydney.

As it turns out souths hosted us in 2014 and the crowd was 52k which is hardly an advertisement for a game to be moved away from SFS IMO but you would imagine parra fans would flock to any prelim final in Sydney.

Yeah, Souths hosted us in 2014 because our team lost 19-18 in week 1 to Penrith, thus surrendering any home ground rights if it won thru to week 3, which we did after beating the Cowboys in 31-30 in week 2 at the SFS. By winning in week 1, the Rabbitohs and the Panthers were classified as the home teams in 2014 being the highest ranked winners.

El Diablo

Post Whore
For what?

You to make further attempts to derail the thread by launching ad-hominem attacks on indivduals within the administration instead of offering anything remotely insightful to this debate?
i think the dickhead is trying to say the media haven't done any articles bagging crowd sizes

Raiderdave

First Grade
Regarding the first part, Broncos will get ~50k regardless of whether it is week 2 or 3, Parra would get more in week 3 than 2 though.

I believe a prelim between roosters/parra would be at ANZ regardless of who has hosting rights. I haven' seen anything this year that confirms it but in the 2013/14 period when prelims against souths/dogs were a possibility the club were told the NRL would move them to ANZ if they felt the SFS would restrict crowd numbers.

it was still 10K more then the SFS would have got in 2014 so technically the correct move
Roosters V Parramatta would get 60K to ANZ in a prelim
so I think it makes sense to move it

Perth Red

Post Whore
For what?

You to make further attempts to derail the thread by launching ad-hominem attacks on indivduals within the administration instead of offering anything remotely insightful to this debate?

tick tock, still no media commentary on the now confirmed worse NRL crowds for over a decade. Talk about an easy ride for Todd, very unusual for the Sydney death riding media.

Valheru

Coach
Yeah, Souths hosted us in 2014 because our team lost 19-18 in week 1 to Penrith, thus surrendering any home ground rights if it won thru to week 3, which we did after beating the Cowboys in 31-30 in week 2 at the SFS. By winning in week 1, the Rabbitohs and the Panthers were classified as the home teams in 2014 being the highest ranked winners.

Yes i know. Just saying that 52k isn't too much more than SFS would have got so it doesn't necessarily justify moving our home prelim to ANZ against souths/dogs/eels in the event we win the right to host

Vee

First Grade
Yes i know. Just saying that 52k isn't too much more than SFS would have got so it doesn't necessarily justify moving our home prelim to ANZ against souths/dogs/eels in the event we win the right to host
Your right to host is one of the two grounds in Sydney.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
tick tock, still no media commentary on the now confirmed worse NRL crowds for over a decade. Talk about an easy ride for Todd, very unusual for the Sydney death riding media.
You are now spouting complete bullshit lol

Surely those 70k Sharks fans at the GF will be going along?

It really burns you up that the Sharks won the comp in front of a full stadium doesnt you?
It's ironic. You constantly bleat that the NRL should be played in modern, all seater venues that are packed to the rafters with passionate fans and yet on one of the few times it is; you are disappointed.

King Ben

Juniors
It really burns you up that the Sharks won the comp in front of a full stadium doesnt you?
It's ironic. You constantly bleat that the NRL should be played in modern, all seater venues that are packed to the rafters with passionate fans and yet on one of the few times it is; you are disappointed.
There's different rules for the disappointing Perth crowds and disappointing Cronulla crowds, you see.

OldPanther

Coach
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/31532c39cea6aa977a1095b8dd482272

"THE 60,000 Cronulla Sharks fans who jammed into ANZ Stadium for last year’s historic grand final victory are now harder to find than Harold Holt.

Now the porch lights have been turned off, only 4000 tickets have been sold for their sudden death semi-final against the Cowboys at Allianz Stadium on Sunday.

The NRL is facing an embarrassing weekend of first round finals attendances compared to the AFL.

In four games they are expected to reach only the 70,000 mark.

In comparison the AFL has forecast 232,000 at their four finals.
The Swans’ game against Essendon in Sydney has already sold out yet the Sharks v Cowboys and the Sea Eagles v Panthers have both sold less than 5000 tickets.

It shows the AFL’s tactic of having a bye round before the finals has worked and made fans hungrier for the finals action.

Sharks chief executive Lyall Gorman has called on fans to get behind the premiers.

“For us to rewrite history, our boys need the support of our fans at Allianz,” he said.

“We are in sudden death football right now and it’s time for our fans to let go of any lingering grand final hangovers and get out to the game.

“They need to know the difference they made in helping us create history last year and surely they, like us all, want to experience those incredible emotions again.”
What hasn’t helped is the SCG Trust’s recent media spin about their poor facilities at Allianz Stadium in a campaign to squeeze more money out of the State Government for a refurbishment.
Describing your own venue as a ‘death trap’ is inviting fans to stay at home and watch the games on television.

The NRL used to play the first round of the finals at suburban venues.

It was changed after 2010 when the Dragons played Souths in front of 17,000 at Kogarah for a game that would have attracted 50,000 at ANZ Stadium.

Your columnist was one of many who campaigned for finals at bigger venues after 30,000 fans were locked out of Kogarah.

Surely the NRL needs to revisit the venues issue for the first round of semis.

It would make sense to choose venues the week before the finals depending on the teams playing and the demand for tickets.
Both Brookvale and Shark Park would have sold out by now if Manly and Cronulla were playing at home.

Sharks coach Shane Flanagan says the players are desperate for strong support on Sunday.

“The support inspires the players,” he said, “It lifts them up when they need it most and I’m sure it played a part in us winning the grand final last year.”

Gorman said ticket prices were: “exceptionally affordable”

“From just $20 for an adult and $50 a family is great value.

“With the NRL we have made it exceptionally easy to get to Allianz with buses running from the Leagues Club and free train travel built into the ticketing costs.”

carcharias

Immortal
My kids have their presentation day on Sunday
It goes all day.
Don't know about any other local clubs but that is a lot of people who won't make the footy.
People that would definitely go normally.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I refuse to click on DT shit and will never subscribe to them anyway but who wrote this shit?

"It shows the AFL’s tactic of having a bye round before the finals has worked andmade fans hungrier for the finals action."

They didnt introduce a bye to qttract crowds it was introduced to stop the uncos tanking and resting their entire squads.

f**k afl.

Latest posts