What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

OldPanther

Coach
I refuse to click on DT shit and will never subscribe to them anyway but who wrote this shit?

"It shows the AFL’s tactic of having a bye round before the finals has worked andmade fans hungrier for the finals action."

They didnt introduce a bye to qttract crowds it was introduced to stop the uncos tanking and resting their entire squads.

f**k afl.

Who cares who wrote it. The simple fact is the AFL is going to get so much bigger crowds than us it's rediculous. It's almost like no one gives a sh*t their teams are playing finals.

What the NRL need to do is work on attracting casual fans. I know a lot of people who have a vague interest in a club but rarely watch or go to games. Need to get those people into it.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Why do people continually compare and give a f**k about what afl are doing? They have bigger crowds than us, that is indisputable but afl is not all sugar and f**king roses.

We need to concentrate on what we're doing and not give a toss about other shit sports.

Unless you've been duped by afl propaganda saying it's taking over. In that case there's no hope for you.

OldPanther

Coach
Why do people continually compare and give a f**k about what afl are doing? They have bigger crowds than us, that is indisputable but afl is not all sugar and f**king roses.

We need to concentrate on what we're doing and not give a toss about other shit sports.

Unless you've been duped by afl propaganda saying it's taking over. In that case there's no hope for you.

People use them as a point of comparison because they are the two main football codes in the country. It's going to happen regardless of how much it ruffles your feathers.

The point is this sport needs to do better. AFL is irrelevant to that.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
There are so many different variables that suggest the pair shouldn't be compared in most cases though, that's the frustration.

carcharias

Immortal
I have lived in Sydney my entire life
I have never stumbled upon a junior game of AFL ever
I couldn't name one local team
I know of one field that I've never seen used.
I've been to one swans game ( free tix ) and got blind , didn't even watch.
Probably never go again unless it's the free piss lure.

My kids are oblivious to it.

Canard

Immortal
Having a bye is a totally unrelated to crowd figures and would have had virtually no effect.

Chook Norris

First Grade
People use them as a point of comparison because they are the two main football codes in the country. It's going to happen regardless of how much it ruffles your feathers.

The point is this sport needs to do better. AFL is irrelevant to that.

Pretty much. The average sports fan is always going to compare the two which is frustrating as Timmah mentioned. It's up to the NRL to make an effort to increase crowds (and bridge the gap).

People are fickle and will follow what appears popular. For example, a ten year old kid could be easily swayed to one sport if he sees a massive crowd on one channel, compared to a sport playing in an empty stadium on another channel.

Chook Norris

First Grade

I didn't see one either up till about a year ago and since then I've seen a few out west with games played on the same oval from 9 till afternoon. Everyone's experience is different and it hurts to be complacent as a code

carcharias

Immortal
Pretty much. The average sports fan is always going to compare the two which is frustrating as Timmah mentioned. It's up to the NRL to make an effort to increase crowds (and bridge the gap).

People are fickle and will follow what appears popular. For example, a ten year old kid could be easily swayed to one sport if he sees a massive crowd on one channel, compared to a sport playing in an empty stadium on another channel.

My kids get around in soccer shirts...so do their mates
Messi and ronaldo
They never watch soccer
It just cool

carcharias

Immortal
I didn't see one either up till about a year ago and since then I've seen a few out west with games played on the same oval from 9 till afternoon. Everyone's experience is different and it hurts to be complacent as a code

I bet that comp covers a massive area too.
Like hockey
Or slot car racing

Clifferd

Coach

Same deal but I live in wollongong lol

Never see junior afl being played but there's a f**k ton of junior league being played

I seriously have no idea how the afl get people to games but they do a damn good job of it:

Chook Norris

First Grade
My kids get around in soccer shirts...so do their mates
Messi and ronaldo
They never watch soccer
It just cool
Once again, your one experience. Does not equate to other experiences.

My experience through high school growing up in the inner west was soccer was far more popular than league in terms of discussion and viewing; plenty of Italians and other Mediterranean Descendants.

Of course, when it gets to a professional league in this country the NRL wins against the A-league which is considered a joke by many soccer fans

insert.pause

First Grade
20% off tickets to the NRL Finals this weekend

Access a discount of up to 20% across all ticket categories for NRL Finals Series matches at Allianz Stadium this weekend.

Friday: Sydney Roosters v Brisbane Broncos (7.55pm)
Saturday: Manly Sea Eagles v Penrith Panthers (7.40pm)
Sunday: Cronulla Sharks v North Queensland Cowboys (4.10pm)

Tickets will provide entry to general admission areas.
Use the password SCGAPP on the Ticketek site to bring up the special prices.
Offer is for online purchase only and valid until the start of each game.

carcharias

Immortal
Once again, your one experience. Does not equate to other experiences.

My experience through high school growing up in the inner west was soccer was far more popular than league in terms of discussion and viewing; plenty of Italians and other Mediterranean Descendants.

Of course, when it gets to a professional league in this country the NRL wins against the A-league which is considered a joke by many soccer fans

I was agreeing with you
Kids are swayed by stuff
Soccer teams from overseas??
I don't know how they even know about these players or teams
They all wear their $5 Bali rip offs .

In saying that
Their school banned the singing of up up Cronulla after the grand final
The teachers were going mental
Haha
I'd had enough myself to be honest.

Latest posts