What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

adamkungl

Immortal
Funny how a sports admin can spend tens of millions of dollars but not actually be advertising any of its games
The NRL should be given more control and responsibility they are very good at stuff
The clubs are terrible

insert.pause

First Grade
funny they don't ever seem to have problems selling finals tickets for games outside of Sydney?

Tickets were pretty reasonable before discounts, at some point you have to accept that clubs like Manly, Cronulla & Penrith don't have many supporters and of those that do support them, many are just lazy whingy shits who prefer to come up with excuses for why they can't be bothered.

Clifferd

Coach
The hardcore supporters will always turn up, it's just about scraping those casual fans that'll turn up maybe two or three times a year (otherwise known as the bandwagoners)

Hype and advertisements will bring them along

Also neutrals will always turn up to finals games, I'm heading out to the Penrith / Manly game and I have no interest in either team.

Valheru

Coach
I have lived in Sydney my entire life
I have never stumbled upon a junior game of AFL ever
I couldn't name one local team
I know of one field that I've never seen used.
I've been to one swans game ( free tix ) and got blind , didn't even watch.
Probably never go again unless it's the free piss lure.

My kids are oblivious to it.

I get your point, rugby league is far more popular than AFL in Sydney but if you haven't seen junior AFL games in the shire you just aren't looking or purposely ignoring them. I see them playing regularly at Heathcote Oval, Waratah in Sutherland and Gwawley fields on Taren Point road. They might even have a venue at Ridge/Menai but not sure about that. They still don't have anywhere near enough for a shire based competition though. The concerning thing is that AFL participation numbers are steadily increasing (albeit slowly) in the shire and rugby league (especially post 13s) is declining. Soccer and netball are of course miles ahead of the rest.

Anyways, regarding this weeks crowds it is possible that tonight's match will get the best attendance of the week. 25k plus would be great. I give the sharks some leeway given they are playing the cowboys but anything less than 20k would still be disappointing.

Manly and Penrith is the game that should be doing better. Regardless of proximity, both sets of fans should easily be getting 12k plus each to turn up but that doesn't look like happening.

adamkungl

Immortal
I'd guess the top 4 games can pull 50k between them.
and the bottom 4 games 30k for the 2

This is bottom of the barrel stuff really, but even that should clear the 70k nonsense that the DT is reporting.
Ideally we'd be clearing 100k for the round...

carcharias

Immortal
I get your point, rugby league is far more popular than AFL in Sydney but if you haven't seen junior AFL games in the shire you just aren't looking or purposely ignoring them. I see them playing regularly at Heathcote Oval, Waratah in Sutherland and Gwawley fields on Taren Point road. They might even have a venue at Ridge/Menai but not sure about that. They still don't have anywhere near enough for a shire based competition though. The concerning thing is that AFL participation numbers are steadily increasing (albeit slowly) in the shire and rugby league (especially post 13s) is declining. Soccer and netball are of course miles ahead of the rest.

Anyways, regarding this weeks crowds it is possible that tonight's match will get the best attendance of the week. 25k plus would be great. I give the sharks some leeway given they are playing the cowboys but anything less than 20k would still be disappointing.

Manly and Penrith is the game that should be doing better. Regardless of proximity, both sets of fans should easily be getting 12k plus each to turn up but that doesn't look like happening.

Mate I haven't seen them
Not ignoring them
I know a kid who plays it ... is old man is a vic
He says they travel all over Sydney to games
Sounds shit.
My kids have played Saturday sport for years
I've never seen AFL played once
Seen the posts
No players
Maybe I've just been lucky

Billythekid

First Grade
I'd guess the top 4 games can pull 50k between them.
and the bottom 4 games 30k for the 2

This is bottom of the barrel stuff really, but even that should clear the 70k nonsense that the DT is reporting.
Ideally we'd be clearing 100k for the round...

It's going to be a good look when one AFL match tonight draws more than our entire first round of crowds in the finals.

I'm hoping hitting rock bottom this year is a big enough wake up call for the NRL and clubs to seriously step up their game next year.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Finals look to be following the same level as the season interest by fans to be fair. If cheap seats all you can eat food and free travel doesn't get fans to a finals games what will?
I suspect the nrl thought the membership drive would see increased attendances but clearly its having no effect. Back to the drawing board for the nrl and clubs.

Two more one city clubs added to comp and reduce number of rounds with best case scenario scheduling has to be the 5 year plan imo.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's going to be a good look when one AFL match tonight draws more than our entire first round of crowds in the finals.

We are the Hungy Jacks to afl's mcdonalds! Reason we should compare and measure ourselves against them is they are the main business competitor for nrl! Ignore them at your peril.

Billythekid

First Grade
Finals look to be following the same level as the season interest by fans to be fair. If cheap seats all you can eat food and free travel doesn't get fans to a finals games what will?
I suspect the nrl thought the membership drive would see increased attendances but clearly its having no effect. Back to the drawing board for the nrl and clubs.

Two more one city clubs added to comp and reduce number of rounds with best case scenario scheduling has to be the 5 year plan imo.

Reducing ticket and food prices for a random match is practically a waste of time. Most people probably don't even know those deals are happening. It needs to be a permanent thing that is pushed heavily from the start of the season. Quietly reducing ticket prices for one match had little effect.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Reducing ticket and food prices for a random match is practically a waste of time. Most people probably don't even know those deals are happening. It needs to be a permanent thing that is pushed heavily from the start of the season. Quietly reducing ticket prices for one match had little effect.

Are there no adverts being run in Sydney papers, radio or tv?

azza29

Juniors
Storm game is getting a decent push in Melbourne, Herald Sun even coming with a Cam Smith poster today. Whether this will translate into ticket sales I don't know. Seems like there is plenty of availability still, should crack 20k but that might be it.