What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

carcharias

Immortal
We are the Hungy Jacks to afl's mcdonalds! Reason we should compare and measure ourselves against them is they are the main business competitor for nrl! Ignore them at your peril.

That would make perth the service station month old maggot bag.

Clifferd

Coach
Storm game is getting a decent push in Melbourne, Herald Sun even coming with a Cam Smith poster today. Whether this will translate into ticket sales I don't know. Seems like there is plenty of availability still, should crack 20k but that might be it.

If Storm v Raiders can crack 20k with no meaning behind it there's no reason why this weekends final can't get like 22/23k

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
If Storm v Raiders can crack 20k with no meaning behind it there's no reason why this weekends final can't get like 22/23k

To be fair the game last week was marketed in Melbourne as a 'no AFL' weekend and Cronk's last regular season game for Melbourne. Both factors no doubt helped drive a good crowd number.

This week, although no Melbourne AFL game, there is still an AFL final shown at that time involving a Melbourne team, which may detract some people but not too many. Crowd still expected to be higher than last week being a game to get into the Grand final playoff.

Valheru

Coach
For me, pass marks would be as per below this weekend based on the teams playing, location and the crowds so far this year?

Roosters/Broncos - 25k
Storm/Eels - 23k
Manly/Panthers - 22k
Sharks/Cowboys - 20k

I am optimistic that the top 2 games will get good crowds. The other 2 are hard to pick and could be disastrous given ticket sales thus far.

Does anyone have a recent PAX number for tonight?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
We are the Hungy Jacks to afl's mcdonalds! Reason we should compare and measure ourselves against them is they are the main business competitor for nrl! Ignore them at your peril.
You're about one click from yelling FAKE NEWS and ALTERNATIVE FACTS lol.

Nobody is suggesting we ignore AFL you muppet, but the constant comparisons don't assist anyone. RL is unique and has it own set of issues aside from its competitors

M2D2

Bench
NRL crowds don't need to match AFLs crowds but they do need to improve.
Im not sure how they can if NRL refuses to accept that thursday/Friday6pm footy is not good for crowds.
They keep on thinking that the problem is stadiums rather than they have given TV a leg up.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I doubt they ever will match afl, the game isn't as popular as much as we may dream it is. But your right, it's getting to the point where just getting back to 2012 level would be a great success! The big concern is not so much the crowd amount but the reflection of dropping interest in the game that it reflects.

It's fixable, and the nrl has the money over the next 5 years to fix it. If they have the ability is very doubtful at this time.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Apart of me hopes we get small crowd numbers so the current admin are beyond embarrassed and have to do something about it.

Like sack themselves and replace them with people who would be competent at the job.

Hmmm, 3 games in an area that rarely draws decent crowds in a round that rarely draws interest...

I would bring up again the Conference System that would garentee a national spread in the finals, but that might actually fix the problem and we wouldnt want that.

So instead, ill say that they ARLC are pathetic for putting no thought into where these games are played. Of course 3 games at the SFS will draw about 10k each, so why not send games around the country?

Obviously the teams will bitch that they deserve a home final, but when they are only drawing 10-15k to a game, i would say that they DESERVE nothing...

M2D2

Bench
Hmmm, 3 games in an area that rarely draws decent crowds in a round that rarely draws interest...

I would bring up again the Conference System that would garentee a national spread in the finals, but that might actually fix the problem and we wouldnt want that.

So instead, ill say that they ARLC are pathetic for putting no thought into where these games are played. Of course 3 games at the SFS will draw about 10k each, so why not send games around the country?

Obviously the teams will bitch that they deserve a home final, but when they are only drawing 10-15k to a game, i would say that they DESERVE nothing...
You dont sent finals to the f**king country.
Jesus wept.

adamkungl

Immortal
Im not sure how they can if NRL refuses to accept that thursday/Friday6pm footy is not good for crowds.
They keep on thinking that the problem is stadiums rather than they have given TV a leg up.

I agree
But now we're in the finals with prime time slots across the board.
Again, if fans can't be bothered showing up to finals in perfect weather in modern(ish) stadiums in good timeslots...what can they do?

Saying the game should be played at suburban grounds doesnt help either - the bare minimum expectation should be 20k for these games. Playing at a 20k capacity park is basically admitting defeat.

Of course 3 games at the SFS will draw about 10k each

Yeah calm down Phil...
I'm confident the 2 bottom 4 games will clear 15k and tonight's should top 20.
Not the best result but not the doomsday scenario the DT is painting either.

RockWheel

Bench

Hysterical much? 10k at each semi final?

M2D2

Bench
I agree
But now we're in the finals with prime time slots across the board.
Again, if fans can't be bothered showing up to finals in perfect weather in modern(ish) stadiums in good timeslots...what can they do?

Saying the game should be played at suburban grounds doesnt help either - the bare minimum expectation should be 20k for these games. Playing at a 20k capacity park is basically admitting defeat.
Well we know manly fans dont travel. And i personally didnt want to go to Saturdays game due to SFS & SCG both being used so im not going with my mate to that game. Panthers fans arent exactly a Sydney team so maybe they wont travel from their way.
But i dont know why the tickets arent selling for the sharks match. Maybe waiting to see what the weather will be like on Sunday?
Personally i think the NRL missed the obvious Double Header just because they didnt want to clash with Melbourne and AFL.

adamkungl

Immortal
Personally i think the NRL missed the obvious Double Header just because they didnt want to clash with Melbourne and AFL.

Damned if they do damned if they don't. The same articles would be printed with a few words changed around.
"NRL forced into embarrassing double header to avoid AFL clash"
Writes itself lol

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Seems like the Nrl set itself up for failure going to the SFS immediately after the Swans at the SCG. They couldn't have really been expecting more than 15k given the circumstances and manly recent history at the ground

moffla

Bench
Seems like the Nrl set itself up for failure going to the SFS immediately after the Swans at the SCG. They couldn't have really been expecting more than 15k given the circumstances and manly recent history at the ground
Not to sound too naive, but you could take a piss from the SCG and hit the wall of Allianz stadium. Surely it's an opportunity for people to do the double?

King Ben

Juniors
One downside to making 3/4 of the stadium general admission is that there would be a much larger walkup than if all the good seats were reserved.