What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well we know manly fans dont travel. And i personally didnt want to go to Saturdays game due to SFS & SCG both being used so im not going with my mate to that game. Panthers fans arent exactly a Sydney team so maybe they wont travel from their way.
But i dont know why the tickets arent selling for the sharks match. Maybe waiting to see what the weather will be like on Sunday?
Personally i think the NRL missed the obvious Double Header just because they didnt want to clash with Melbourne and AFL.

Why would you not go to an nrl finals game because the stadium next door is in use?

El Diablo

Post Whore
It's going to be a good look when one AFL match tonight draws more than our entire first round of crowds in the finals.

I'm hoping hitting rock bottom this year is a big enough wake up call for the NRL and clubs to seriously step up their game next year.
who gives a f**k

OldPanther

Coach
Maybe our sport's fans are 2nd rate

Maybe. Another problem is league is better suited to TV than live. Sports like soccer and AFL move around the field a lot more usually so you don't feel like you're out of the action because one team is camped in the opposition 20m.

M2D2

Bench
Well it makes our sport look like a second rate piece of crap.
Well we are Second rate compared to AFL.
1. They didnt bend over to the networks and have kept their traditional day of Saturday(with games being on at the same time) and Sunday is still strong. They even make sure that their Thursday game starts earlier than Friday for family/kids when they DO have a thursday game.
2. They knew members were lifeblood a long LONG time before we did.
3. Their media is a little kinder (not by much) to small problems they have in their sport
4. AFL is a national game only and are void from alot of international issues. RL is an International game, NRL is just one arm of it.
5. They tend to hire the right people, not yes men in their framework.

While i love NRL more than anything else as far as sports go (with EPL 2nd), AFL is SO MUCH BETTER at the back of house stuff that its not even funny.

Billythekid

First Grade
who gives a f**k

You responded so I'm guessing you do.

Well we are Second rate compared to AFL.
1. They didnt bend over to the networks and have kept their traditional day of Saturday(with games being on at the same time) and Sunday is still strong. They even make sure that their Thursday game starts earlier than Friday for family/kids when they DO have a thursday game.
2. They knew members were lifeblood a long LONG time before we did.
3. Their media is a little kinder (not by much) to small problems they have in their sport
4. AFL is a national game only and are void from alot of international issues. RL is an International game, NRL is just one arm of it.
5. They tend to hire the right people, not yes men in their framework.

While i love NRL more than anything else as far as sports go (with EPL 2nd), AFL is SO MUCH BETTER at the back of house stuff that its not even funny.

I agree with most of this. The reasons the AFL are so much better in this regard is because they're such a better run sport. That's what's so frustrating and why some of us keep harping on about it. Rugby league is a far superior product and we shouldn't play fiddle to that piece of shit sport.

Your first point is hard to use as an argument this week though. Sure they haven't caved to having a Thursday game every week yet but they did have one for a finals match. If the NRL did that we'd all be losing our shit. Whilst the game started at a much better time don't AFL matches go significantly longer than NRL matches? Their matches last like more than 30 minutes longer so they're still out just as late.

Their Thursday night finals match still attracted 52K people against an out of state team.

Yet again it makes a bit of a mockery of all our excuses. Thursday nights are poison to crowds. Games finishing at like 10pm are family unfriendly. Playing against low drawing sides reduces interest. Melbourne is just easier to get around.

Next minute Adelaide pulls 52K on a Thursday in a match that finishes at around 10pm against a team with zero away support.

Oh but Sydney has so many problems. Next minute the swans sellout their match on the same weekend all our finals matches draw average crowds.

It makes the NRL look bad and it makes the excuses made on this forum over and over look laughable.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maybe. Another problem is league is better suited to TV than live. Sports like soccer and AFL move around the field a lot more usually so you don't feel like you're out of the action because one team is camped in the opposition 20m.

Biggest cop out excuse ever! Try sitting behind the sticks at an afl game and seeing what the hell is going on at the other end!

adamkungl

Immortal
Yeah I really don't buy the TV sport thing.
It's something we like to tell ourselves to excuse the giant gap in crowds.
Sydney fans are lucky Broncos are the only team that outdraws us to a meaningful level.

If Cows, Melbourne, Knights, Warriors, Raiders, Gold Coast ever start to move their crowds up above the 20k mark consistently got help the Sydney clubs who are plodding along at 12k.
And yes I'm aware that includes my own.

M2D2

Bench
I agree with most of this. The reasons the AFL are so much better in this regard is because they're such a better run sport. That's what's so frustrating and why some of us keep harping on about it. Rugby league is a far superior product and we shouldn't play fiddle to that piece of shit sport.

Your first point is hard to use as an argument this week though. Sure they haven't caved to having a Thursday game every week yet but they did have one for a finals match. If the NRL did that we'd all be losing our shit. Whilst the game started at a much better time don't AFL matches go significantly longer than NRL matches? Their matches last like more than 30 minutes longer so they're still out just as late.

Their Thursday night finals match still attracted 52K people against an out of state team.

Yet again it makes a bit of a mockery of all our excuses. Thursday nights are poison to crowds. Games finishing at like 10pm are family unfriendly. Playing against low drawing sides reduces interest. Melbourne is just easier to get around.

Next minute Adelaide pulls 52K on a Thursday in a match that finishes at around 10pm against a team with zero away support.

Oh but Sydney has so many problems. Next minute the swans sellout their match on the same weekend all our finals matches draw average crowds.

It makes the NRL look bad and it makes the excuses made on this forum over and over look laughable.
At least they ATTEMPT to try and get people home earlier, NRL is like "f**k you game starts at 8:10 because we want as much ads as possible for Channel 9!"
AFL doesnt like to have Sunday games in September cause their GF is on a Saturday.
See a big difference between the codes is that AFL ATTEMPTS to limit the reasons to NOT go to the game. From closing the roof at the docklands stadium. To having more Afternoon games. Better and FREE transport. NRL keeps on offering up reasons to not go by improving the TV experience and building the game for that, crowds be damned.

NRL looks at the AFL and goes "Why dont we get that money for TV" without putting in the work, cutting up the game for the money, and wonders why they dont get the crowds.

OldPanther

Coach
Biggest cop out excuse ever! Try sitting behind the sticks at an afl game and seeing what the hell is going on at the other end!

I have been to other codes games. It's the truth brought about by the difference in how the sports are played. League just doesn't flow around the field as much.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Anyone know if the afl subsidise clubs to have the $5childrens entry price or are clubs just told that is what they have to do?

Given the situation I'd be happy to see the nrl subsidie clubs to offer $120 GA full memberships and $250 reserve seat memberships with $50 children's memberships across the comp. alongside this make it GA to all seats outside the 30-30m lines.

That would take away the price excuse at least. If fans refuse to go for $12 a game then we know it's not a cost issue. Might cost nrl $10mill a year but worth a go surely?

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
I have been to other codes games. It's the truth brought about by the difference in how the sports are played. League just doesn't flow around the field as much.
I am with Red a bit here. I've watched both live and the way AFL is played at the moment, defensive structures can lock the ball in one half of the ground for a while.

At least in NRL, despite repeat sets, one good set when getting possession back and a good kick and the ball is up the other end within 30 seconds to a minute.

taipan

Referee
I agree they are a better organised better financed,better crowded,sport.And I agree empty seats at semis is a
But I also note having all seater top class up to date AFL suited stadiums right near public transport/entertainment facilities with lack of crappy transport issues compared to Sydney ,is a big plus for them.
Adelaide to be fair is a country town in area compared to Sydney.Their club is central club.Home club, home stadium.
Name me one AFL stadium that is not up to date with all seater decent facilities.
Th proof in the pudding is the Storm playing at AAMI ,great stadium central to transport,and they'll get the biggest crowd this weekend.says something in my book.

The only NRL team using their home stadium in Sydney is the Roosters.If any stadium should be filled for the NRL its theirs against the Broncos.

Whilst I am especially concerned with the crowd issue,I would be more concerned if we had up to date stadiums such as those being planned and still got ordinary crowds.

I'll say it again, if the NRL had got off their fat a*ses in the early 2000s and lobbied for decent stadiums in Sydney and outer Sydney then ,who knows the crowd situation.Gallop in aprtyiclaur with 1o years at the helm needs to take some responsibility.
As it is now the Sharks/Penrith/Manly with admittedly their old stadiums situated near the bulk of their fans (just like the Swans )would have sold out.

Any idiot should have known in the NRL admin,teams from outer Sydney areas in semis are hardly going to fill stadiums like SFS.
But teams like Eels/Dogs/Tigers/Dragons should be catered for bigger stadiums, then we get ANZ the meh of stadiums.

LOL maybe we shouldn't have expanded, then all the Sydney clubs wouldn't have to play those Interstate teams who bring few .
The NRL promotion and marketing of the semis and the NRL comp, has ,was and still remains bleeding awful.Sack the pr*cos involved ,get the message out there.

In an ideal world there would be :
ANZ stadium 70,000 rectangular with roof
Parramatta 30,000
SFS refurbished 40,000
Manly/Penrith/Sharks0WIN stadium 20,000 all seater stadiums with cover.
That should have happened a decade ago.the bleeding OPS finished 17 years ago.

The AFL have outsmarted us ,because Gallop couldn't promote pussy in a cat show,and our clubs are too busy worrying about themselves not the big picture.And the media seizes every moment to skewer us ,by comparing with the AFL.
Here endeth my rant.

M2D2

Bench
Blaming Gallop of all people for something he had no control over is a bit funny, but its what ive come to expect from this forum over the years.

papabear

Juniors
The afl did put a final on thursday night.

Yes the afl is run better.

But really, the only sydney clubs who are generally administered well are dogs easts manly and souths. Of those easts and manly are poorly supported.

Raiderdave

First Grade
the Midgets will get about 15K next week at their final
of which only half will pay to get in

the Broncos or Parramatta or both , will get nearer to 50K

theres a comparison
bet no one writes about it either

Billythekid

First Grade
the Midgets will get about 15K next week at their final
of which only half will pay to get in

the Broncos or Parramatta or both , will get nearer to 50K

theres a comparison
bet no one writes about it either

The AFL are from perfect. The giants, suns and lions are huge money sinks and the QLD clubs in particular are basket cases (and IMO would be in danger of folding if we add another Brisbane team).

Still the argument your making seems pointless. Obviously if you compare our biggest matches to their smallest you can make things looks better. Why not extrapolate that comparison across the whole finals series? Or the whole season?

Before anyone jumps in and calls me an AFL sycophant if anything I'm the opposite. I love league and unlike most of the merkins on here I believe that the sport deserves better and is capable of so much more. If you go by any metric but crowds you can see that the NRL has a simliar level of interest to the AFL. We've always beaten them in ratings and I believe we are performing better in terms of social media as well. We're just f**king awful at getting people to come to matches.

Latest posts