What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

insert.pause

First Grade
The afl did put a final on thursday night.

Yes the afl is run better.

But really, the only sydney clubs who are generally administered well are dogs easts manly and souths. Of those easts and manly are poorly supported.
Manly administered well? couldn't run a chook raffle

M2D2

Bench
We've always beaten them in ratings.
latest

taipan

Referee
Blaming Gallop of all people for something he had no control over is a bit funny, but its what ive come to expect from this forum over the years.

The only reason I blame Gallop,is due to the fact the AFL lobbied Govt for new stadiums,he didn't.He was caught out with the Wagga fiasco.
CEOs have some authority to push for Govt monies.Even the current mob of ordinaries achieved that.\10 years in office and all we got GC stadium,really pushed by Searle and his backers.
CEOs get squirted off non performing after 3-5 years.

Hell we might have had by now extended stands at Southern Cross with a little bit of Govt boot licking.

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
The afl did put a final on thursday night.

Yes the afl is run better.

But really, the only sydney clubs who are generally administered well are dogs easts manly and souths. Of those easts and manly are poorly supported.

You lost me when you suggested the Dogs are generally administered well.The salary cap debacle speaks volumes, as does their form.

OldPanther

Coach
You lost me when you suggested the Dogs are generally administered well.The salary cap debacle speaks volumes, as does their form.

Wasn't that Des's recruitment? I heard he has someone he has help him. I honestly don't know the details just random fan talk.

Raiderdave

First Grade
The AFL are from perfect. The giants, suns and lions are huge money sinks and the QLD clubs in particular are basket cases (and IMO would be in danger of folding if we add another Brisbane team).

Still the argument your making seems pointless. Obviously if you compare our biggest matches to their smallest you can make things looks better. Why not extrapolate that comparison across the whole finals series? Or the whole season?

Before anyone jumps in and calls me an AFL sycophant if anything I'm the opposite. I love league and unlike most of the merkins on here I believe that the sport deserves better and is capable of so much more. If you go by any metric but crowds you can see that the NRL has a simliar level of interest to the AFL. We've always beaten them in ratings and I believe we are performing better in terms of social media as well. We're just f**king awful at getting people to come to matches.

hardly pointless when the DT wants to make it an issue when it goes the other way
lets see what they write about the salary cap & draft gifted midgets who've cost the ALF 100 million dollars & yet can barely get 10K sydneysiders to pay to attend a final

theres a story
lets see if they write it eh ?

Clifferd

Coach
Wasn't that Des's recruitment? I heard he has someone he has help him. I honestly don't know the details just random fan talk.

Coaches obviously have the highest priority when signing players but every club has their own cap auditor to manage cap space. Bulldogs simply overspent their cap like some others did aswell

Billythekid

First Grade

I'm pretty sure if you take ratings across the season we're basically always ahead of the AFL. At worst we're about level in terms of TV ratings which would suggest a similar level of support. They shouldn't be getting close to 2.5 times our crowds.

M2D2

Bench
The only reason I blame Gallop,is due to the fact the AFL lobbied Govt for new stadiums,he didn't.He was caught out with the wagging fiasco.
CEOs have some authority to push for Govt monies.Even the current mob of ordinaries achieved that.\10 years in office and all we got GC stadium,really pushed by Searle and his backers.
CEOs get squirted off non performing after 3-5 years.

Hell we might have had by now extended stands at Southern Cross with a little bit of Govt boot licking.
Yeah but just look at all of them weve had, they have had the same problem.
The goverment DOES NOT give money for new stadium that doesnt have multiple tenants(not you Im the doctor). Adelaide/Perth took years and it has Cricket/AFL. Melbourne needed the multiple teams for their two stadium. Aami needed storm & A league. Parra needed Panthers & WSW.
SFS didnt really need work done beyond a roof, ANZ honestly doesnt need any work done beyond a roof. Making it rectangular is nice an all, but it only needs a roof.
Manly didnt exist at the time(and brookvale needs to be burnt to the ground and the ashes pissed on). You cant fix leichy
All the lobbying in the world would give us our covered seats at shark park beyond the southern stand.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Name me one AFL stadium that is not up to date with all seater decent facilities.

Subiaco, very dated, poor viewing lines, dripline is terrible, no parking and two trains to get to it. Hasn't stopped the Eagles selling every seat before the season starts or freo getting 30k plus crowds. The new Perth stadium will be like a palace compared to subiaco, afl crowds will be through the roof here next year.

Re your comment, probably because they are a one team city stay as much as their nice stadium
Re your comment on not expanding, well we have a two Sydney team finals game, let's see how effective having two sets of fans is lol. Beter we had consolidated Sydney by now and had more one team cities so we would see bigger finals crowds maybe?

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
The AFL are from perfect. The giants, suns and lions are huge money sinks and the QLD clubs in particular are basket cases (and IMO would be in danger of folding if we add another Brisbane team).

Still the argument your making seems pointless. Obviously if you compare our biggest matches to their smallest you can make things looks better. Why not extrapolate that comparison across the whole finals series? Or the whole season?

Before anyone jumps in and calls me an AFL sycophant if anything I'm the opposite. I love league and unlike most of the merkins on here I believe that the sport deserves better and is capable of so much more. If you go by any metric but crowds you can see that the NRL has a simliar level of interest to the AFL. We've always beaten them in ratings and I believe we are performing better in terms of social media as well. We're just f**king awful at getting people to come to matches.

Afl just broke their regular season record for most fans attending games, just saying.
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/08/26/afl-breaks-attendance-record

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm pretty sure if you take ratings across the season we're basically always ahead of the AFL. At worst we're about level in terms of TV ratings which would suggest a similar level of support. They shouldn't be getting close to 2.5 times our crowds.

Our rattings are significantly bolstered by nsw regional ratings, given that most of the viewers couldn't get to an nrl game regularly I wonder if this is one reason our ratings are similiar but our attendances lower?
Afl generally gets much higher ratings in melbourne than nrl does in Sydney suggesting more people in the cities that have teams are interested in afl than nrl.

carcharias

Immortal
Our rattings are significantly bolstered by nsw regional ratings, given that most of the viewers couldn't get to an nrl game regularly I wonder if this is one reason our ratings are similiar but our attendances lower?
Afl generally gets much higher ratings in melbourne than nrl does in Sydney suggesting more people in the cities that have teams are interested in afl than nrl.

You need to look at a map

OldPanther

Coach
The stories saying under 10k are nonsense. I bought my tickets early this morning and it's got PAX NO. 13,700