What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Draw

Valheru

Coach
If I were the roosters I would immediately look at swapping venues for the round 5 Manly game and round 17 Sharks game.

Send the Manly game to Gosford to avoid a ridiculous 6PM Friday game at SFS (We have another one later in the season) and give the local fans the chance to go to the SFS for our one and only 3PM Saturday home game of the season and first since 2014.

Both venues are available on the alternate dates as far as I can see.

Lambretta

First Grade
I see Newcastle have been the laboratory guinea pig for the Friday 6pm match, 6 matches in the first 20 rounds. Have back-to-back home games in that timeslot in rounds 6/7 vs Bulldogs/Roosters.

Matches at Allianz and in more isolated places such as Brookvale will be lucky to get over 5k in that timeslot.

Roosters fans largely work in the CBD in Sydney
Friday night games always rated really well for us

All this means is that people will go to the game first and drink after

I'm not upset by the 6pm Friday games

Lambretta

First Grade
You think Roosters vs Knights is bad....how about Manly vs Knights at Brookvale? Anything over 5k in that game is a Godsend. Torrential rain that day and two teams out of form, and I hate to think what the crowd could be.

Unless you are not working that day, it's impossible to get from the city to Brookvale via public transportation in time after finishing work as traffic on Pittwater Rd is atrocious in peak hour.

As Diesel said, so much for Sydney teams not having to host those matches when the proposal for Friday 6pm matches was accepted. Excluding the occasions when the Warriors play at home (which is 8pm over there), the only time a Friday 6pm would've worked is on Good Friday.

In this farcical situation, the NRL would've been better off going back to the 2 x 7:50pm Friday night matches.

you're spot on with the Brookvale comments - how would anyone get there by 6pm? You'd have to knock off by 3pm. There are no trains and only one gridlocked road in and out of the whole peninsula.

I never saw what was wrong with 2 x 7.30pm games on a Friday - it worked really well except for 2 reasons

1 - Brisbane got every Friday night game - so what the f**k has changed there? Nothing, so what f**king benefit is a 6.00pm kick off? None.

2 - Channel 9 delayed the shit out of the 2nd game cramming in 10,000 ads - so what has changed there? Foxtel now shows all games live, so Channel 9 is irrelevant to anyone who wants to avoid ads - so what f**king benefit is a 6.00pm kick off? None.

All it will do is result in lower crowd figures and people missing being pissed off they can't get to games. The NRL found a solution to a problem which had largely resolved itself by making things far worse than they were in the first place. Wankers.

Lambretta

First Grade
Not Belmore?????????

I was talking to a Bulldogs tragic (rarely if ever misses a game) and he can't make Belmore by 6pm
Even if he somehow managed to wangle a 5pm finish (virtually impossible for him) he said that he'd be arriving late to the ground.

adamkungl

Immortal
you're spot on with the Brookvale comments - how would anyone get there by 6pm? You'd have to knock off by 3pm. There are no trains and only one gridlocked road in and out of the whole peninsula.

I never saw what was wrong with 2 x 7.30pm games on a Friday - it worked really well except for 2 reasons

1 - Brisbane got every Friday night game - so what the f**k has changed there? Nothing, so what f**king benefit is a 6.00pm kick off? None.

2 - Channel 9 delayed the shit out of the 2nd game cramming in 10,000 ads - so what has changed there? Foxtel now shows all games live, so Channel 9 is irrelevant to anyone who wants to avoid ads - so what f**king benefit is a 6.00pm kick off? None.

All it will do is result in lower crowd figures and people missing being pissed off they can't get to games. The NRL found a solution to a problem which had largely resolved itself by making things far worse than they were in the first place. Wankers.

The trade was Monday to Friday 6pm, not Friday to Friday.
The 2nd Friday game is now the Thursday game.

It ends up the same for us but for the broadcasters you can kinda see what they've done for themselves. 9 wanted non-clashing prime time games, Fox took the Monday hate on board and are hoping Fri 6pm is a win for them. NRL and Fox probably agreed on Fri-6 to remove the extra day from Thurs-Monday.

I was talking to a Bulldogs tragic (rarely if ever misses a game) and he can't make Belmore by 6pm
Even if he somehow managed to wangle a 5pm finish (virtually impossible for him) he said that he'd be arriving late to the ground.

It was joke. Suburban grounds will be f**ked.

Lambretta

First Grade
The trade was Monday to Friday 6pm, not Friday to Friday.
The 2nd Friday game is now the Thursday game.

It ends up the same for us but for the broadcasters you can kinda see what they've done for themselves. 9 wanted non-clashing prime time games, Fox took the Monday hate on board and are hoping Fri 6pm is a win for them. NRL and Fox probably agreed on Fri-6 to remove the extra day from Thurs-Monday.

Yeah, but why did we have to trade shit with shit? Just make Friday a double header at 7.30pm and give people options on which game they watch live - main game in local market goes live on Nine and other goes to GEM

Foxtel can show one live and the other "as live" or show one on the Rugby League channel and the other on one of their other 5 sports channels.

Scrap Monday and Thursday altogether

it's not f**king hard

adamkungl

Immortal
Yeah, but why did we have to trade shit with shit? Just make Friday a double header at 7.30pm and give people options on which game they watch live - main game in local market goes live on Nine and other goes to GEM

Foxtel can show one live and the other "as live" or show one on the Rugby League channel and the other on one of their other 5 sports channels.

it's not f**king hard

Hey i'm with you mate, footy should be Friday-Sun.

Valheru

Coach

it's not f**king hard

Nah we can't do that.

God forbid we have more than one game on at a time like every other major sporting competition in the world...

BuffaloRules

Coach
Nah we can't do that.

God forbid we have more than one game on at a time like every other major sporting competition in the world...

I wonder if Uncle Nick would be willing to accept less TV money coming into the game if this was to happen?

He seems pretty laid back about NRL grants and money and that kinda stuff...

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
after the cowboys not coming to nz last year I was eager to see which weekend I will be heading to mt smart next year.................................and the only game against the warriors is in Townsville again

coolumsharkie

Referee
Problem with having 2 730pm Fri games is that we will get the faaarrrrking Donkeys on evey Friday up here and and a drunken snore for the replay of the Sydney game.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Sharks definitely screwed with the draw after Round 19.

They have as their last 5 Away games as;

Gold Coast
Warriors
Broncos
Cowboys
Newcastle

That's a shit load of travelling at the end of the season.

I don’t think the Warriors and Cowboys would sympathise.

Sydney team problems…

Latest posts