What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Draw

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
The clubs have a say in the draw as well, requesting to play certain teams and not play others, and that's almost always based around which teams the clubs feel will draw the most fans through the gate for their bottom line.

It's the reason why the Warriors go to Perth, for the large ex-pat NZ community, or why teams will give up home advantage to bring a game to a different NZ/Australian city. Money.

Yes there's nothing in the draw from year to year that would indicate fairness or integrity, but with the way teams bounce up and down the ladder even if there was a system there's still a strong chance that random fluctuations would mean some teams get the rough end while others don't.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Pleased to see Rabbitohs v storm on a Sunday afternoon and manly v warriors Saturday afternoon in Perth next year, nice change from night games in the rain

no name

Referee
Judging the draw by 'difficulty' is always the silliest thing of the release. Everyone lamented being scheduled to play the Roosters this year, for example - look where they finished.
The Roosters were chosen as a random example of a club whose position changed significantly between '15 and '16. The point being that in draw analysis they would've been considered a difficult opponent given their 1st placed finish the previous season - I wasn't suggesting that was said specifically.
LOL, make a statement of fact, get called on it, 'well it didn't actually happen, but you know what I mean'

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It's embarrassing that in a 16 team, 26 round schedule there's no year to year consistency to make sure each side plays one another an equal amount of times over a set period of time. It's the NRL putting dollars above the integrity of the competition.
The last 15-20 years have seen clubs able to submit requests for the draw, i.e. play certain fixtures at certain times (ANZAC Day, Good Friday, anniversary games and so on).

Simply put, the volume of requests means we're probably never going to get a consistent draw.
The draw sucks and is very uneven...

I think for the next TV deal they need to bring in a Perth (or 2nd NZ) side and a second QLD team.

Break the Sydney teams into 1 conference of 9 and the rest into a conference play each team in your conference twice a year and the other teams once.

Top 8 finals 4 from each side so on and so forth...
Conferences are never going to work IMO.
We've got a f**ked draw mate.

7 out of the 9 games included in my diamond membership up until round 20 are Friday nights. That is just too hard and not family friendly.

Tell me how the Dogs got 8 day games in their draw??????

Tell me how the Cowboys and Sharks have 0 five day turnarounds and that Bulldogs, Broncos etc.... Have 1 five day turnaround. But SOUTHS have 4 five day turn arounds 2 of which are after interstate trips to Cairns and Perth. That's a jeopardy to player welfare. My oath it is.

Tell me how SOUTHS don't get a bye in the origin period the week before. That'll probably be 3 weeks without GI and AR.

We have the shittiest and toughest draw and the NRL have said so too on their website.

Cmmmooonnnnnn, watch us get back into the top 8 under adversity. UP THE MIGHTY RABBITOHS!!!!!!!!!
"too hard and not family friendly"? FRIDAY night?

You know Saturday is the weekend, yeah?

f**k anyone who says we get an easy ride.
So? Anything could happen next year.
The 6pm timeslot is going to put a lot of pressure on club memberships also. Fans (myself and entire family included) are paying for memberships and game attendance. In my case round 6 and 7 both are Friday 6pm starts. I finish work at 5:20pm and live 1 hour drive from the stadium.

There are 12 home games in the year, two of those games are not worth attending for me as I would not get there until half time. And still 4 home games schedule TBA so no doubt at least 1 of those is going to be 6pm Friday night. If I don't make those games that is a stretch of 6 weeks I won't be watching the team at the game.
This is what gets me about this timeslot. Firstly, I'm not sure everyone works til 5pm. Sure, the majority of people probably do but there's still others who work other times or don't work at all.

And besides - this draw has been released on November 24 and none of these games are less than 3 months away. Plenty of time to put in a leave request or ask for a half day...

It's highly inconvenient for a lot of people - even the NRL have admitted that - but there's now plenty of time to organise to get to the game/s if you really want to be there.

ed-grimley

Bench
A Bunnies fan friend of mine reckons the draw is stacked up against his team saying they have to play all the top teams from this year twice. Seems like a load of bollocks to me.

Vic Mackey

Referee
We've got a f**ked draw mate.

7 out of the 9 games included in my diamond membership up until round 20 are Friday nights. That is just too hard and not family friendly.

Tell me how the Dogs got 8 day games in their draw??????

Tell me how the Cowboys and Sharks have 0 five day turnarounds and that Bulldogs, Broncos etc.... Have 1 five day turnaround. But SOUTHS have 4 five day turn arounds 2 of which are after interstate trips to Cairns and Perth. That's a jeopardy to player welfare. My oath it is.

Tell me how SOUTHS don't get a bye in the origin period the week before. That'll probably be 3 weeks without GI and AR.

We have the shittiest and toughest draw and the NRL have said so too on their website.

Cmmmooonnnnnn, watch us get back into the top 8 under adversity. UP THE MIGHTY RABBITOHS!!!!!!!!!

The draw isn't fair and unfortunately some team are going to get forked over. This draw does seem one of the fairer for most teams though in years. 4 five day turn around has been average over the last couple of years. From memory manly had something like 7 this year or the year before. A couple of years ago the Tigers played 5 games in 21 games which was ridiculous. Last year saints had to play 3 games in a row in qld.

Most clubs like Friday night games as it gives their sponsors the biggest exposure. Re the turn around after cairns and Perth trips, well Souths have no one to blame but themselves with their money grab. Maybe if they cared about their 35k 'members' they wouldn't take games away from their core fans.

At the end of the day I can't remember a year where a draw has cost a side a premiership. The best teams will make do with what they've got.

Vic Mackey

Referee
A Bunnies fan friend of mine reckons the draw is stacked up against his team saying they have to play all the top teams from this year twice. Seems like a load of bollocks to me.

Who knows, however in 2005 the Tigers only played the bottom 4 teams of that year once and still won the comp. losers will always find excuses for being shit.

user_nat

Coach
Who knows, however in 2005 the Tigers only played the bottom 4 teams of that year once and still won the comp. losers will always find excuses for being shit.
Draw difficulty is probably most relevant to sides who are fighting to scrape into the 8.
Actual premiership contenders probably shouldn't be relying on getting to play the Knights twice.

Knight76

Juniors
This is what gets me about this timeslot. Firstly, I'm not sure everyone works til 5pm. Sure, the majority of people probably do but there's still others who work other times or don't work at all.

Seriously, how much do the NRL pay you to put positive spins on everything negative discussed about the NRL?

I am posting from my own perspective, I do believe it is going to put pressure on memberships as the value of your membership is reduced by games you can't attend, or have to attend late.

In my position, I have to apply for leave 12 months in advance to get the day off. Much of the year is booked out already due to the number of staff we have and the availability of leave. Asking for a half day or leaving early is an option, but would not be considered for the excuse to attend the footy. Generally only for doctors appointments and other such matters.

And besides - this draw has been released on November 24 and none of these games are less than 3 months away. Plenty of time to put in a leave request or ask for a half day...

It's highly inconvenient for a lot of people - even the NRL have admitted that - but there's now plenty of time to organise to get to the game/s if you really want to be there.

Timmah, even if people only work till 4.00 pm, depending on where their home team's ground is located in relation to where they work does make 6.00 pm problematic. You are still talking about people getting around during peak hour, which regardless of whether it is Sydney, Melbourne, Newcastle, Townsville, Canberra or Auckland is still not easy as it is during that period when most people are on the roads or using public transport.

Whilst many die hard fans will more than likely what you suggest, those who aren't will more than likely say "stuff it, it's too hard, I'll just go home instead". As such this effects the crowds at the ground, at the lower the crowd, the worse the atmosphere, and that does have an indirect (even if it is only a minor one) on the teams playing (bot the home and way teams). Thus it effects the club's hip pocket in the negative, whilst also seeing a slightly lesser product on the field.

I've looked at my own club's draw. Our first home game of the year is against your mob, but due to the date and time, I'll be lucky if I make it as on that day I know even this far out I will be stuck at work until 7.00 pm at best that day, and have a 0% chance of having any leave request granted for that day. In my workplace there are certain days we know in advance that barring illness, or a family emergency, we are required at work and request for rec leave will not be granted on the whole by my boss due to those operational requirements. AS knight76 demonstrated in his post, I'm not on my pat Malone on that score.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Seriously, how much do the NRL pay you to put positive spins on everything negative discussed about the NRL?

I am posting from my own perspective, I do believe it is going to put pressure on memberships as the value of your membership is reduced by games you can't attend, or have to attend late.

In my position, I have to apply for leave 12 months in advance to get the day off. Much of the year is booked out already due to the number of staff we have and the availability of leave. Asking for a half day or leaving early is an option, but would not be considered for the excuse to attend the footy. Generally only for doctors appointments and other such matters.
I'm not going to apologise for presenting a position contrary to your beliefs or your personal situation.

Timmah, even if people only work till 4.00 pm, depending on where their home team's ground is located in relation to where they work does make 6.00 pm problematic. You are still talking about people getting around during peak hour, which regardless of whether it is Sydney, Melbourne, Newcastle, Townsville, Canberra or Auckland is still not easy as it is during that period when most people are on the roads or using public transport.

Whilst many die hard fans will more than likely what you suggest, those who aren't will more than likely say "stuff it, it's too hard, I'll just go home instead". As such this effects the crowds at the ground, at the lower the crowd, the worse the atmosphere, and that does have an indirect (even if it is only a minor one) on the teams playing (bot the home and way teams). Thus it effects the club's hip pocket in the negative, whilst also seeing a slightly lesser product on the field.

I've looked at my own club's draw. Our first home game of the year is against your mob, but due to the date and time, I'll be lucky if I make it as on that day I know even this far out I will be stuck at work until 7.00 pm at best that day, and have a 0% chance of having any leave request granted for that day. In my workplace there are certain days we know in advance that barring illness, or a family emergency, we are required at work and request for rec leave will not be granted on the whole by my boss due to those operational requirements. AS knight76 demonstrated in his post, I'm not on my pat Malone on that score.
I think you're reiterating my point tbh.

I'm not standing here telling you the 6pm Friday slot will be a success and draw crowds, nor am I suggesting it's friendly for most workers. I'm simply providing a contrary view to the supposed fact that everyone works til 5pm and will struggle to get to a game, like it's some blanket rule that will prevent any attendance.

Overall I think it will perform better than everyone's mediocre expectations, but ultimately like MNF it will struggle. Personally, I hope they kill it off sooner than later if (when) it fails, unlike MNF which managed a 9 year stay of execution.

Rabbits20

Immortal
The draw isn't fair and unfortunately some team are going to get forked over. This draw does seem one of the fairer for most teams though in years. 4 five day turn around has been average over the last couple of years. From memory manly had something like 7 this year or the year before. A couple of years ago the Tigers played 5 games in 21 games which was ridiculous. Last year saints had to play 3 games in a row in qld.

Most clubs like Friday night games as it gives their sponsors the biggest exposure. Re the turn around after cairns and Perth trips, well Souths have no one to blame but themselves with their money grab. Maybe if they cared about their 35k 'members' they wouldn't take games away from their core fans.

At the end of the day I can't remember a year where a draw has cost a side a premiership. The best teams will make do with what they've got.
Fair enough.

Apparently Souths have complained about the short turn arounds and are saying to the NRL we'd better not get 5 day turn arounds in rounds 21-26.

yobbo84

Coach
The Bulldogs having the "easiest" draw, with the most sought-after day games, when the person in charge of the draw from the NRL was their former CEO - surely people can understand why fans get frustrated.

Valheru

Coach
Yeah it totally makes sense to get fans of two Sydney clubs to travel to Gosford for a 6pm Friday game.

Is the point of the game being played in Gosford not for more exposure there and to get local fans attending rugby league?

Besides, I couldn't care less if it is hard for people to get to Gosford by 6PM. Saturday 3PM against the premiers is surely going to be attended better at the SFS than Friday 6PM against Manly.

johnny plath

Juniors
He's right.
No he's not.... Souths play last years top eight 13 times out of possible 16, so they definitely don't play last years top teams twice. Broncos are the only team that plays last years top 4 teams twice, as well as bulldogs and titans twice, panthers just once. So 13 out of possible 14 against last years top 8.

Latest posts