What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Draw

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Judging the draw by 'difficulty' is always the silliest thing of the release. Everyone lamented being scheduled to play the Roosters this year, for example - look where they finished.

PaulyTom

Juniors
Can't wait for a double dose of football on a Friday night.

I think the 6pm Friday night football is a good idea. Won't suit everyone but every warriors fan in Sydney can go buy a carton of beer on the way home and watch their team Play every second Friday night.

Timmah

Staff member
If I were the roosters I would immediately look at swapping venues for the round 5 Manly game and round 17 Sharks game.

Send the Manly game to Gosford to avoid a ridiculous 6PM Friday game at SFS (We have another one later in the season) and give the local fans the chance to go to the SFS for our one and only 3PM Saturday home game of the season and first since 2014.

Both venues are available on the alternate dates as far as I can see.
Yeah it totally makes sense to get fans of two Sydney clubs to travel to Gosford for a 6pm Friday game.

Timmah

Staff member
Can you show me where everyone said that?
The Roosters were chosen as a random example of a club whose position changed significantly between '15 and '16. The point being that in draw analysis they would've been considered a difficult opponent given their 1st placed finish the previous season - I wasn't suggesting that was said specifically.

chigurh

It's embarrassing that in a 16 team, 26 round schedule there's no year to year consistency to make sure each side plays one another an equal amount of times over a set period of time. It's the NRL putting dollars above the integrity of the competition.

JokerEel

Coach
The draw sucks and is very uneven...

I think for the next TV deal they need to bring in a Perth (or 2nd NZ) side and a second QLD team.

Break the Sydney teams into 1 conference of 9 and the rest into a conference play each team in your conference twice a year and the other teams once.

Top 8 finals 4 from each side so on and so forth...

Rabbits20

Immortal
Souths crowds tanked last year even without the 6pm excuse...
We've got a f**ked draw mate.

7 out of the 9 games included in my diamond membership up until round 20 are Friday nights. That is just too hard and not family friendly.

Tell me how the Dogs got 8 day games in their draw??????

Tell me how the Cowboys and Sharks have 0 five day turnarounds and that Bulldogs, Broncos etc.... Have 1 five day turnaround. But SOUTHS have 4 five day turn arounds 2 of which are after interstate trips to Cairns and Perth. That's a jeopardy to player welfare. My oath it is.

Tell me how SOUTHS don't get a bye in the origin period the week before. That'll probably be 3 weeks without GI and AR.

We have the shittiest and toughest draw and the NRL have said so too on their website.

Cmmmooonnnnnn, watch us get back into the top 8 under adversity. UP THE MIGHTY RABBITOHS!!!!!!!!!

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Crosses: That start. Brisbane play the top four in the first four weeks of the season — struggling to remember a tougher opening run.
The Broncos are also the only side in the comp that plays those heavyweights eight times across the year — the absolute maximum the draw allows for.

f**k anyone who says we get an easy ride.

Knight76

Juniors
The 6pm timeslot is going to put a lot of pressure on club memberships also. Fans (myself and entire family included) are paying for memberships and game attendance. In my case round 6 and 7 both are Friday 6pm starts. I finish work at 5:20pm and live 1 hour drive from the stadium.

There are 12 home games in the year, two of those games are not worth attending for me as I would not get there until half time. And still 4 home games schedule TBA so no doubt at least 1 of those is going to be 6pm Friday night. If I don't make those games that is a stretch of 6 weeks I won't be watching the team at the game.

dogz08

First Grade
We've got a f**ked draw mate.

7 out of the 9 games included in my diamond membership up until round 20 are Friday nights. That is just too hard and not family friendly.

Tell me how the Dogs got 8 day games in their draw??????

Tell me how the Cowboys and Sharks have 0 five day turnarounds and that Bulldogs, Broncos etc.... Have 1 five day turnaround. But SOUTHS have 4 five day turn arounds 2 of which are after interstate trips to Cairns and Perth. That's a jeopardy to player welfare. My oath it is.

Tell me how SOUTHS don't get a bye in the origin period the week before. That'll probably be 3 weeks without GI and AR.

We have the shittiest and toughest draw and the NRL have said so too on their website.

Cmmmooonnnnnn, watch us get back into the top 8 under adversity. UP THE MIGHTY RABBITOHS!!!!!!!!!

what is this a war cry?

chigurh

I think some of the problems with the draw come down to the NRL trying to eke every single last dollar out of the schedule, at the expense of fairness.

They keep telling us what a great rights deal they have secured and how much cash the game is now awash with, surely they could put some integrity back into the draw?

AJB1102

First Grade
I think some of the problems with the draw come down to the NRL trying to eke every single last dollar out of the schedule, at the expense of fairness.

They keep telling us what a great rights deal they have secured and how much cash the game is now awash with, surely they could put some integrity back into the draw?

They can't put a number value on "integrity" and "fairness" like they can "ratings" and "sponsorship".

It sucks but there doesn't seem to be anyone with much vision outside maximising TV and sponsor dollars.