What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

supercharger

Juniors
are we after a look

or actual; crowds ?
I understand that the point of this thread is to discuss crowds but there is an obsession amongst some and tons of wrist slitting over crowd figures, it's ridiculous.
Attendance is important to the revenues of sports clubs. It's more important for my favourite CFL and hockey teams than for my NRL team as they derive majority of their revenue from broadcast revenue, it's kind of split in terms of importance for my baseball team. If you look at the examples of say the CFL where the league has realised the importance of creating a demand around games and the ideal stadium capacity is 25k
They are realising the importance of tv money now though and that fans don't necessarily have to attend to benefit the club. The way forward in the NFL is going to be smaller stadiums. Why do we constantly compare ourselves to the Victorian garbage?
We play far too many games at the cavernous Olympic stadium that impacts attendance figures and is by far a worse look (if you're worried about appearance) than games in country towns, we're constantly told that the game is struggling in the bush, take games out there and people bitch about it :rolling_eyes: What would this game have gotten in Sydney?
I like hearing the opinions of other fans on here but the constant negativity from some is tiresome.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I understand that the point of this thread is to discuss crowds but there is an obsession amongst some and tons of wrist slitting over crowd figures, it's ridiculous.
Attendance is important to the revenues of sports clubs. It's more important for my favourite CFL and hockey teams than for my NRL team as they derive majority of their revenue from broadcast revenue, it's kind of split in terms of importance for my baseball team. If you look at the examples of say the CFL where the league has realised the importance of creating a demand around games and the ideal stadium capacity is 25k
They are realising the importance of tv money now though and that fans don't necessarily have to attend to benefit the club. The way forward in the NFL is going to be smaller stadiums. Why do we constantly compare ourselves to the Victorian garbage?
We play far too many games at the cavernous Olympic stadium that impacts attendance figures and is by far a worse look (if you're worried about appearance) than games in country towns, we're constantly told that the game is struggling in the bush, take games out there and people bitch about it :rolling_eyes: What would this game have gotten in Sydney?
I like hearing the opinions of other fans on here but the constant negativity from some is tiresome.

For agame that wants to remain a top tier sport we are going nowhere fast with attendance, even membership appears to be plateauing with growth of jus3% last couple of years. We’re a billion $ sport popular in populations of significant size with allegedly large fan bases, we’ll never bu number 1 but a 20k avg should be achievable for our game if it was run right. At least some growth every year would be a start.

Playing in venues with 10k or 5k capacities is just throwing in the towel

Raiderdave

First Grade

it would have got 18 or 19K if you must ask in Sydney based only on how the tigpies are going atm
& I'm sorry but we will always be judged by that Victorian garbage whilst they have an attendance culture
& our fans in our biggest market are in the main apathetic & lazy
no one is expecting us to emulate those weirdo Victorians
but we need to be better then getting excited about 10K people regardless of the look

only a clown thinks 10K at scully park is better 20K at ANZ

Raiderdave

First Grade
seriously people in here were wetting their pants because of the look of the crowd of 5K in Gladstone

F me
that'll do me

Last edited:

supercharger

Juniors
it would have got 18 or 19K if you must ask in Sydney based only on how the tigpies are going atm
& I'm sorry but we will always be judged by that Victorian garbage whilst they have an attendance culture
& our fans in our biggest market are in the main apathetic & lazy
no one is expecting us to emulate those weirdo Victorians
but we need to be better then getting excited about 10K people regardless of the look

only a clown thinks 10K at scully park is better 20K at ANZ
I think a sellout in a town like Tamworth is good for the game compared just being another fixture in Sydney.
Completely different culture in terms of attendance between the sports hardly worth bothering comparing to the afl. It's up to the clubs to boost their attendance

supercharger

Juniors
For agame that wants to remain a top tier sport we are going nowhere fast with attendance, even membership appears to be plateauing with growth of jus3% last couple of years. We’re a billion $ sport popular in populations of significant size with allegedly large fan bases, we’ll never bu number 1 but a 20k avg should be achievable for our game if it was run right. At least some growth every year would be a start.

Playing in venues with 10k or 5k capacities is just throwing in the towel
We aren't a billion dollar sport. We have a big to contract but the yearly revenue would be what $400 million?
We might get to 20k average but I don't see it and don't particularly care if we do.
I don't agree re throwing in the towel. It's not as if we're playing all games at such small venues. Like attendance, membership is up to the clubs. I don't see the point in getting into a dick measuring contest with other sports.

Raiderdave

First Grade
I think a sellout in a town like Tamworth is good for the game compared just being another fixture in Sydney.
Completely different culture in terms of attendance between the sports hardly worth bothering comparing to the afl. It's up to the clubs to boost their attendance

it would have sold out in Feb for a trial too so I'm not sure what your point is there
& we don't have an attendance culture in Sydney so we can't compare ourselves to anyone
but I can assure you
crowds of 10K in small venues aint the way forward

supercharger

Juniors
it would have sold out in Feb for a trial too so I'm not sure what your point is there
& we don't have an attendance culture in Sydney so we can't compare ourselves to anyone
but I can assure you
crowds of 10K in small venues aint the way forward
I don't think it sells out for a trial and I like the idea of taking premiership games to country towns. Every club in Sydney is capable of averaging 18-20k but they're not going to all do it at the same time. Form plays a part.
On your last point it's hardly holding the game back and it's not going to lead to our downfall.

Raiderdave

First Grade
We aren't a billion dollar sport. We have a big to contract but the yearly revenue would be what $400 million?
We might get to 20k average but I don't see it and don't particularly care if we do.
I don't agree re throwing in the towel. It's not as if we're playing all games at such small venues. Like attendance, membership is up to the clubs. I don't see the point in getting into a dick measuring contest with other sports.

LOL
we are a billion dollar sport
our governing body earns nearly 600 million a year
our clubs at least that much again

know something before embarrassing yourself with your ignorance

Raiderdave

First Grade
I don't think it sells out for a trial and I like the idea of taking premiership games to country towns. Every club in Sydney is capable of averaging 18-20k but they're not going to all do it at the same time. Form plays a part.
On your last point it's hardly holding the game back and it's not going to lead to our downfall.

it will
when the media revenue drys up
thank f**k clueless clowns like you aren't running our game

supercharger

Juniors
I like and agree with most of the stuff you are saying but this bit here is a bit of a worry. Life is a competition generally but more particularly sports are total competition. If you don't want to compete then go croquet.
Good point just don't get the wrist slitting when the attendance isn't what others want

supercharger

Juniors
LOL
we are a billion dollar sport
our governing body earns nearly 600 million a year
our clubs at least that much again

know something before embarrassing yourself with your ignorance
Wait the clubs bring in $600 million and I'm clueless?
Happy to be wrong and apologise if the game generates a billion a year but don't see why we shouldn't play games in country towns

Raiderdave

First Grade
I like and agree with most of the stuff you are saying but this bit here is a bit of a worry. Life is a competition generally but more particularly sports are total competition. If you don't want to compete then go croquet.
agreed
you eat your competition

or be eaten

Raiderdave

First Grade
Wait the clubs bring in $600 million and I'm clueless?
Happy to be wrong and apologise if the game generates a billion a year but don't see why we shouldn't play games in country towns

yeah you are & I said nearly & the clubs nearly that much
& of course they do
PR didn't say how we are a billion dollar code , but Penrith alone clear 115 Million in annual revenue