What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

King hit

Coach
Actually in Perth 16k turned out for some pointless friendly featuring a dead union club. How fcking embarrassing is that for nrl clubs that couldnt get that many, even when two local clubs are playing each other on a sunny Sydney Sunday afternoon? Sydney is sht

Ah yes the evil east coasters bringing down the poor old innocent defenceless folk from the West.

big hit!

Bench
How good was Jubilee Oval a few weeks back with an equivalent crowd?!

End this BS persistence of playing matches at Olympic Standium. The game looks like a joke because of it.

f**k it was 1st vs 5th of a national competition. It had as much atmosphere as rugby's Shute shield

hutch

First Grade

End this BS persistence of playing matches at Olympic Standium. The game looks like a joke because of it.

f**k it was 1st vs 5th of a national competition. It had as much atmosphere as rugby's Shute shield

The answer isn’t to retreat back to suburban grounds for every game. A big derby game between two big Sydney clubs should be getting crowds of 25-30k plus which they do when there is a bit of hype around, we need to work out ways of making this happen! Yes, Mother’s day is a bad timeslot and I highly doubt the attendance would have been higher at kogarah, but there was nowhere near enough promotion and hype for two teams that are doing very well this year!

BuffaloRules

Coach
I note the Tigers are playing the Dragons at Leichhardt this year in Round 23 on a Sat evening at 5.30pm, which must be the first time in yonks the Dragons are playing there.....

Typically Leichhardt gets the Titans, Cowboys, Warriors or Storm...

Now I think that these days you cant safely squeeze in more than 18-19K into LO, and maybe with a lot of promotion they could have got 25K to the soulless cavern at Homebush if the Tigers continue their reasonable form... but would that really be a better spectacle and better for the game?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Are we really wringing our hands over a poor crowd for Souths v Saints?

Let's be real here:
  • It was Mother's Day - we already know that it's a struggle to get people at games. FFS Collingwood and Geelong are two of the AFL's biggest clubs and they only got 44k on a Sunday arvo.
  • By all accounts it was freezing over the weekend in Sydney, no?
  • Dragons fans hate going to ANZ more than just about anywhere else from what I understand.
How 13k surprised anyone is beyond me.

Valheru

Coach

It was a souths home game though and surprise surprise, they played it at their regular home venue.

Personally I think they should play out of the SFS but that is a different debate.

t-ba

Post Whore
It was a souths home game though and surprise surprise, they played it at their regular home venue.

Personally I think they should play out of the SFS but that is a different debate.

You'd have them play out of that condemned death trap?

Hopefully once the light rail is done they can move back to the SFS.

Springs09

Juniors

Let's be real here:
  • It was Mother's Day - we already know that it's a struggle to get people at games. FFS Collingwood and Geelong are two of the AFL's biggest clubs and they only got 44k on a Sunday arvo.
  • Dragons fans hate going to ANZ more than just about anywhere else from what I understand.

Jesus Christ only 44k? What losers

PARRA_FAN

Coach

Let's be real here:

Some good points, I was probably expecting more at ANZ but not much more.

I think the last few years Mother's Day crowds haven't been to impressive.

As for that AFL crowd, I don't know too much on their crowd figures over the years but I would guess that figure between the two teams at the same venue is probably the lowest in a while.

Billythekid

First Grade

Let's be real here:

Mother's Day doesn't change each year, we knew when it would be. Is it a good idea to schedule potentially one of the biggest drawing games of the year in Sydney on that day?

That's the sort of thing I figured we would avoid now controlling the schedule. Can't blame TV either because it's not like it was shoved into a high rating slot like Thursday for ratings either.

Springs09

Juniors
yes and only 9253 GWS spotless and 6060 at the gabba both Sat games and 20k somewhere else.

The point is of course the crowd should be criticised, and saying 'only 44k at the AFL' is f**king ridiculous. Yeah, they usually draw more, but you can't say 'oh the AFL only got 44k so our 13k crowd ain't too bad!'

Souths v Dragons should be getting 35k - we don't lose 2/3rds of a crowd because of Mother's Day. And if ANZ is that shit of a place to go to Souths need to stop playing there

Perth Red

Post Whore
Again, what was done to mitigate it was mothers day? why was this potentially high drawing game played on a day we know impacts crowd? Why cant we get the basics right?

frick I wished we could "only" get 44k to a game!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Mother's Day doesn't change each year, we knew when it would be. Is it a good idea to schedule potentially one of the biggest drawing games of the year in Sydney on that day?

That's the sort of thing I figured we would avoid now controlling the schedule. Can't blame TV either because it's not like it was shoved into a high rating slot like Thursday for ratings either.
"Biggest drawing games of the year?" :thinking:

The last time these two cracked 20k was in 2014.

The point is of course the crowd should be criticised, and saying 'only 44k at the AFL' is f**king ridiculous. Yeah, they usually draw more, but you can't say 'oh the AFL only got 44k so our 13k crowd ain't too bad!'

Souths v Dragons should be getting 35k - we don't lose 2/3rds of a crowd because of Mother's Day. And if ANZ is that shit of a place to go to Souths need to stop playing there
Why is it everyone's more interested in getting upset and angry about wording and refuses to apply basic context to a discussion.

If we can please set aside "oh I wish we could get *only 44k*" bullshit and acknowledge AFL works from a higher base in the attendance space and discuss the actual issue at hand...

The point to be made is that Mother's Day sucks for crowds. You could play any match on Mother's Day and it would draw below what it should because it's simply one of those days you can't market against realistically.

My point was that it's not unique to rugby league that Mother's Day isn't a well-attended day of footy and I don't know what we could possibly do to mitigate it apart from play no games on the Sunday, which TV won't do and people would whinge about.

For what it's worth I've gone back through the last five years to see where we're at:

2017: NEW v CAN 10997, SYD v PAR 10,467
2016: WST v CBY 20,936, GLD v SYD 9,363
2015: MAN v NEW 10,065, PAR v MEL 10,505
2014: NEW v PEN 13,682, SGI v CBY 21,077
2013: PEN v MEL 7,803, GLD v SGI 12,117, CAN v NEW 10,453

As you can see even the biggest games - Dogs/Wests and Dogs/Dragons drew below-average crowds for their fixtures, and the rest are all treading water.

The only solution to mitigate this I can think of is if we load up on Saturday games - shift the 2pm Sunday game to 1pm Saturday and have NZ host it so it's a 3pm local kickoff.

That leaves one Sunday game and minimises the risks, no?