What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

carcharias

Immortal
you have an extra digit in the estimate for sharks fans
it was 5% .. lol
missing in action both away & at home lol

Speaking of extra digits
How are you and your Canberran mates going today?

Must’ve been tough to waking up this morning and then remembering the footy score.

Raiderdave

First Grade
this .. lumping all the blame on yesterdays crowd on mothers day is a bit of a stretch
we've had two 20K plus crowds on the day recently , both at ANZ & that should have been the minimum for yesterday too
it was waaaayyy.. under par
it was a pretty pathetic effort from both sets of fans & theres no dressing it up

Raiderdave

First Grade
Speaking of extra digits
How are you and your Canberran mates going today?

Must’ve been tough to waking up this morning and then remembering the footy score.

why
that's 6 in a row for your mob down here so no surprise & no different to the previous 5 years
btw
we'll be going for 5 in a row at shark park when we play you up there next
both sides have a run against the other ..... away ... from home oddly enough

carcharias

Immortal
why
that's 6 in a row for your mob down here so no surprise & no different to the previous 5 years
btw
we'll be going for 5 in a row at shark park when we play you up there next
both sides have a run against the other ..... away ... from home oddly enough

I wonder if we’ll get more than 11047 at that game.

Probably.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
this .. lumping all the blame on yesterdays crowd on mothers day is a bit of a stretch
we've had two 20K plus crowds on the day recently , both at ANZ & that should have been the minimum for yesterday too
it was waaaayyy.. under par
it was a pretty pathetic effort from both sets of fans & theres no dressing it up
I literally just provided you clear statistics that refute what you've just said. Mother's Day draws poorly and this fixture hasn't cracked 20k for four years. In fact it only got 12k twice.

I literally just provided you clear statistics that refute what you've just said. Mother's Day draws poorly and this fixture hasn't cracked 20k for four years. In fact it only got 12k twice.

That's pathetic for the pride of the league and the dragons both heartland clubs, 100 years old clubs, sunday afternoon, dragons top of table so it's no excuses for it to be 25k plus consistently all that history and still empty seats/endless excuses.

Springs09

Juniors
"Biggest drawing games of the year?" :thinking:

The last time these two cracked 20k was in 2014.

Why is it everyone's more interested in getting upset and angry about wording and refuses to apply basic context to a discussion.

If we can please set aside "oh I wish we could get *only 44k*" bullshit and acknowledge AFL works from a higher base in the attendance space and discuss the actual issue at hand...

The point to be made is that Mother's Day sucks for crowds. You could play any match on Mother's Day and it would draw below what it should because it's simply one of those days you can't market against realistically.

My point was that it's not unique to rugby league that Mother's Day isn't a well-attended day of footy and I don't know what we could possibly do to mitigate it apart from play no games on the Sunday, which TV won't do and people would whinge about.

For what it's worth I've gone back through the last five years to see where we're at:

2017: NEW v CAN 10997, SYD v PAR 10,467
2016: WST v CBY 20,936, GLD v SYD 9,363
2015: MAN v NEW 10,065, PAR v MEL 10,505
2014: NEW v PEN 13,682, SGI v CBY 21,077
2013: PEN v MEL 7,803, GLD v SGI 12,117, CAN v NEW 10,453

As you can see even the biggest games - Dogs/Wests and Dogs/Dragons drew below-average crowds for their fixtures, and the rest are all treading water.

The only solution to mitigate this I can think of is if we load up on Saturday games - shift the 2pm Sunday game to 1pm Saturday and have NZ host it so it's a 3pm local kickoff.

That leaves one Sunday game and minimises the risks, no?

Did I not say potentially? As in, Dragons and Souths both in good form on a Sunday afternoon should potentially be one of the highest drawing Sydney games of the season? And you leave out the fact that in the last three years if these two weren't playing at the SCG they were playing on a Thursday or Monday night.

And lol, if 21k is 'below average' then 13k is complete shit. The rest seem par to the type of fixtures they are.

Last year Tigers v Dogs got 19,303 and Dragons v Dogs 21,582, both on Sunday.
The other time Tigers v Dogs played in 2016 they got 16,212 on a Saturday night. Dragons v Dogs got 15,008 on a Friday night.
2015 - Tigers v Dogs 20k (Friday), Dragons v Dogs 20k (Sunday)

'Below Average'

Raiderdave

First Grade

you clearly have the Tigers V Canterbury in 2016 at 20,936... that's .. 2016 !!
& the Dogs & Dragons at 21,077 in 2014

Billythekid

First Grade
"Biggest drawing games of the year?" :thinking:

The last time these two cracked 20k was in 2014.

The point to be made is that Mother's Day sucks for crowds. You could play any match on Mother's Day and it would draw below what it should because it's simply one of those days you can't market against realistically.

I feel that statistic is a little misleading. Dragons home games are basically capped at below 20K against Souths due to the capacity of their home grounds. Souths have been pretty poor in those years (dragons haven't been great either) which would have meant fairly average crowds.

Note I also said potentially. Dragons vs Souths has the potential to be a big drawing matchup, like this year when they're close to the 2 form teams of he Comp. You shouldn't have 2 of your biggest fan bases in Sydney playing on one of the worst days of the year for crowds.

Which brings me to your second point. Why not play fairly low drawing matches on this day that have a lot less to lose? Big derby matches should be played in friendly timeslots for crowds. As I said above it's not like this game was shoved on a Thursday night for huge ratings or anything so it made no sense to put it on at that time.

Saint Doc

Coach
Seriously to everyone saying yesterday wasn’t good enough, I have one question. What did you do yesterday? If your answer is “Mother’s Day Lunch” then you’re in the same boat as the potential 10,000 fans, myself included, who didn’t attend.

carcharias

Immortal
Seriously to everyone saying yesterday wasn’t good enough, I have one question. What did you do yesterday? If your answer is “Mother’s Day Lunch” then you’re in the same boat as the potential 10,000 fans, myself included, who didn’t attend.
Took my mum to Canberra.

We got blind

MUM was giving it Ricky at the end

She was yelling at him
This shithole should be called “ Can’tberra”!!!

Raiderdave

First Grade
Took my mum to Canberra.

We got blind

MUM was giving it Ricky at the end

She was yelling at him
This shithole should be called “ Can’tberra”!!!

I think I saw her
throwing up in a wheelie bin outside the ground ?

trackies on..so her going out clothes
plumbers crack showing , scaring the hell out of the local children
a real sight to behold LOL

Raiderdave

First Grade

I did both
but granted , our game was on at 4

JamesRustle

First Grade
I think I saw her
throwing up in a wheelie bin outside the ground ?

trackies on..so her going out clothes
plumbers crack showing , scaring the hell out of the local children
a real sight to behold LOL
So ya had a crack and she told you to get stuffed?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I feel that statistic is a little misleading. Dragons home games are basically capped at below 20K against Souths due to the capacity of their home grounds. Souths have been pretty poor in those years (dragons haven't been great either) which would have meant fairly average crowds.
Actually, since the last 20k crowd in 2014, all matches bar one have been at either ANZ or the SCG. The exception was this year's earlier game at Kogarah, which still managed just under 17k. Far better than most of the crowds in the time since.

Note I also said potentially. Dragons vs Souths has the potential to be a big drawing matchup, like this year when they're close to the 2 form teams of he Comp. You shouldn't have 2 of your biggest fan bases in Sydney playing on one of the worst days of the year for crowds.

Which brings me to your second point. Why not play fairly low drawing matches on this day that have a lot less to lose? Big derby matches should be played in friendly timeslots for crowds. As I said above it's not like this game was shoved on a Thursday night for huge ratings or anything so it made no sense to put it on at that time.
I tend to agree that Dragons v Souths shouldn't have been played yesterday, but at the same time both were bog ordinary last year - Souths were the lowest drawing side at home last season and both missed the eight - so it could be argued it wasn't forseeable this would be such an appetising match-up.

I'd agree we need to schedule less appealing games that are already going to be poor drawing on Mother's Day but I think the NRL are on a hiding to nothing regardless of what they do.

Suitman

Post Whore
I tend to agree that Dragons v Souths shouldn't have been played yesterday, but at the same time both were bog ordinary last year - Souths were the lowest drawing side at home last season and both missed the eight - so it could be argued it wasn't forseeable this would be such an appetising match-up.

I'd agree we need to schedule less appealing games that are already going to be poor drawing on Mother's Day but I think the NRL are on a hiding to nothing regardless of what they do.

Agree completely, but yes, the NRL SHOULD BE DOING BETTER.
Sharks vs Dragons derby's SHOULD NOT be on Thursday nights.
This is where the NRL f**k themselves over.

Exsilium

Coach
Agree completely, but yes, the NRL SHOULD BE DOING BETTER.
Sharks vs Dragons derby's SHOULD NOT be on Thursday nights.
This is where the NRL f**k themselves over.

NRL have been f**king fans for years.

Surprised anyone thinks they give a shit about the fans.

Reactions: Vee