What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

Valheru

Coach
Yeh marketing and event making. What a stupid idea!

The alternatives:
A) except sht crowds on mothers day
B) dont play games on mothers day

Only stupid people would do nothing and expect a different outcome

B is a far better idea than yours.

It may sound stereotypical but most mothers (certainly the ones that I know) don't want to go to the footy on mother's day, regardless of what they are offering. They would much rather have lunch/dinner with their family.

Saint Doc

Coach

It may sound stereotypical but most mothers (certainly the ones that I know) don't want to go to the footy on mother's day, regardless of what they are offering. They would much rather have lunch/dinner with their family.

Exactly. Even the mum’s who love their footy (as mine does, season ticket holder at Kogarah), but she would much rather be having lunch/dinner with her kids and grandkids than go to ANZ, even if she was given a rose and a glass of bubbles. She can get a bunch of flowers and drink a bottle of champagne at home if she wants. If the NRL were serious about crowds they would abandon games on Mother’s Day, or really think outside the box and play overseas (?PNG). But they don’t care that much, it’s more about TV rights and generating content for timeslots.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Problem is B isn’t really an option, so the real options are do nothing and live with poor crowds on that day or try somethin different and see if it helps.

The nrl could mitigate the impact a bit by putting what would be the lowest drawing games anyway that round on the Sunday then the drop off might not be so bad, as long as they didn’t stupidly put the big games on thurs or fri 6pm instead!

But all of that would actually require clubs and nrl to care about crowds, which they clearly have pretty much given up on.

Springs09

Juniors
Don't know why there's all this shit about Mother's Day. The crowds in previous years were simply average for their respective clashes despite his false claim they were poor.

Simple solutions for when it comes to why the crowd was so shit:
- Schedule average drawing games on Mother's Day, not big Sydney derbies
- Get Souths out of ANZ

Valheru

Coach
Don't know why there's all this shit about Mother's Day. The crowds in previous years were simply average for their respective clashes despite his false claim they were poor.

Simple solutions for when it comes to why the crowd was so shit:
- Schedule average drawing games on Mother's Day, not big Sydney derbies
- Get Souths out of ANZ

So you don't get the fuss about mothers day as, in your opinion, it results in average crowds i.e. no less or more than the same fixture in any other slot.

But you don't want big derbies scheduled on the day to ensure no decrease in crowds.

Makes sense.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

I was interested as to whether it's true and in about half of cases the crowd was about average for the fixture, but there are several where it was a shocking crowd.

2017: NEW v CAN @ MJS 10997
Second worst ever crowd at the venue between these sides since 1988. Only one lower was 9,356 in 2001.

2017: SYD v PAR 10,467
Lowest crowd between the sides since 2002.

2016: WST v CBY 20,936
Upper end of recent crowds for this fixture yes. Seems to be what you've hung your hat on, although it attracted 22k, 23k and 29k earlier in the decade.

2016: GLD v SYD 9,363
Worst of five matches by a fair margin.

2015: MAN v NEW 10,065
Average (even good) for recent years but well down on the historical average for Manly-Knights at Brookie.

2015: PAR v MEL 10,505
Just about average for this fixture.

2014: NEW v PEN 13,682
At the lower end of crowds for this fixture overall, but in line with recent attendances.

2014: SGI v CBY 21,077
At the lower end of recent attendances at ANZ for this game. Crowds of 27k, 33k, 24k since.

2013: PEN v MEL 7,803
2nd lowest ever.

2013: GLD v SGI 12,117
All crowds since 2013 for this fixture have been higher, although not by a lot.

2013: CAN v NEW 10,453
More or less bang on average.

I think we can all agree that we just need to minimise the number of games played on Mother's Day. We can seem to do it on Easter and ANZAC round so why not Mother's Day too?

BuffaloRules

Coach
I think we can all agree that we just need to minimise the number of games played on Mother's Day. We can seem to do it on Easter and ANZAC round so why not Mother's Day too?

I’m sure you are bright enough to work this out... The ANZAC round had two games played on the public holiday Wednesday..,doubt you will see that happen the Wednesday before Mother’s Day...

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Yeh, limit it to one game to fill the ch9 slot and move the rest to Saturday...

Jamberoo

Juniors
So you don't get the fuss about mothers day as, in your opinion, it results in average crowds i.e. no less or more than the same fixture in any other slot.

But you don't want big derbies scheduled on the day to ensure no decrease in crowds.

Makes sense.
If you play the derbies on other days you will get bigger crowds. Don’t waste them on Mothers Day.

Perth Red

Post Whore
15,081 good crowd for thursday spot but shouldn’t be playing all Sydney club games on thurs or fri 6pm. Save them for Saturday’s and Sunday’s when both sets of fans can get there and boost the crowd.

Should have been dragons v raiders tonight and panthers v tigers on Sunday