What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

Just looked at tickets for the Denver test, they aren’t selling the top tier yet. 78k stadium, hope it’s not an embarrassment

$39 for cheapest tickets seems a bit silly given the sport has no profile in colarado

Raiderdave

First Grade
2%? So, that is 100k. That means. 30% of Swans fans go each week. And more than 50% are members. Impressive. Victorians don’t change teams so ex pats moving north would have minimal impact on the Swans figures.
A serious question - is the 2% about right? Would seem low to me. In Melbourne I reckon it would be AFL 94% RL 4% RU 2%, based on crowds, membership and anacdotal evidence.
What would Sydney be? how does RU compare to RL? What about Brisbane?
Rubbish
Ex pat mongs needing their live fix of bumbling singlets n tight shorts are pretty much all Alf crowds are north of the border
So it Ain't that impressive

And more then a third of swines members don't come from Sydney
Same for the kitty kat wions in Brisbane , it's nearly half for the midgets n thuns

zealots will do what ever it takes to see their obsession succeed

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
Roosters v Tigers with a disappointing turnout of 11k... but it was still the best crowd of the round. Sad.
These 2 clubs should pull 18-22 comfortably.

But you know, the usual excuses. It rained slightly the day before, a couple of Origin players were out, there was some traffic somewhere in Sydney.

I will note again, and this isn't a crack specifically at Tigers fans because i've noticed it all across Sydney for the last 2-3 seasons, away support seems to be basically dead.
I reckon the increase in memberships/pre-paid games has resulted in very few people buying any extra tickets on top of their season passes.

A concerning trend for Sydney clubs if the numbers could confirm.

Last Week

Bench
Roosters v Tigers with a disappointing turnout of 11k... but it was still the best crowd of the round. Sad.
These 2 clubs should pull 18-22 comfortably.

But you know, the usual excuses. It rained slightly the day before, a couple of Origin players were out, there was some traffic somewhere in Sydney.

I will note again, and this isn't a crack specifically at Tigers fans because i've noticed it all across Sydney for the last 2-3 seasons, away support seems to be basically dead.
I reckon the increase in memberships/pre-paid games has resulted in very few people buying any extra tickets on top of their season passes.

A concerning trend for Sydney clubs if the numbers could confirm.

You're right about the membership thing. I don't go to away games unless it's reciprocal rights.

Mister M

Juniors
Rubbish
Ex pat mongs needing their live fix of bumbling singlets n tight shorts are pretty much all Alf crowds are north of the border
So it Ain't that impressive

And more then a third of swines members don't come from Sydney
Same for the kitty kat wions in Brisbane , it's nearly half for the midgets n thuns

zealots will do what ever it takes to see their obsession succeed

Why is it that everytime that the AFL is mentioned in comparison (due to their significantly higher crowd figures) that you resort to a range of childish insults in an attempt to discredit their success rather than look at it from a rationale point of view.

If the AFL 'zealots' will do whatever it takes to ensure the AFL is successful in growth markets, what will it take by the NRL to gain that same type of support??

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
not for me not going. I cant control what others do or dont do. I find Australians generally pretty soft when it comes to the weather lol I attend EVERY game in Perth, not my fault there are so few opportunities.

Last year 1 Melbourne, 2 Sydney, 1 Brisbane games, RLWC final and GF.

This year I'll probably get two in though off to Thailand, US and Canada so that will curtail my NRL trips.
If they do a SL DH in NY in next year or so I'll talk the Mrs into a trip for that. I enjoy combining holidays with RL.

Maybe my list needs a new category: Traveler - Fans who don't have an NRL team in their city so have to travel.

Nice! Are you doing the Denver test and maybe a Wolfpack game at all? That will be a great experience!

azza29

Juniors
So Hawks v Power managed to get a bigger crowd in Launceston (population 84k) than two Sydney clubs playing in Sydney (population 5.1m) on a sunny Sydney Sunday afternoon.

Anyone who thinks crowds aren't a problem for the NRL is absolutely kidding themselves.

lockyno1

Post Whore
So Hawks v Power managed to get a bigger crowd in Launceston (population 84k) than two Sydney clubs playing in Sydney (population 5.1m) on a sunny Sydney Sunday afternoon.

Anyone who thinks crowds aren't a problem for the NRL is absolutely kidding themselves.

Stop playing games out of ANZ would be a good start. Which bone dead fruit cake has decided to have games at ANZ. It's a horrible football ground to attend as a fan.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Crowds aren’t a problem for the nrl, they got their $1.8bill in the bank, they don’t give a sht. Well until there are no fans left then they might.

hutch

First Grade
Two weeks good, four weeks bad. Not to mention (but I will) that the TV pardners would never ever ever countenance it, and it is they that largely fund the game.

Tv won’t lose any games, they will add more content to the year.

If you are suggesting holding the Origin series on three successive standalone weekends, meaning most players don't lace on a boot in anger for a month, in the middle of the season, I don't think it will work for reasons that must be exceedingly obvious.

What are the obvious reasons it wouldn’t work?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Stop playing games out of ANZ would be a good start. Which bone dead fruit cake has decided to have games at ANZ. It's a horrible football ground to attend as a fan.
The match in question was played at Allianz you arseclown

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Crowds aren’t a problem for the nrl, they got their $1.8bill in the bank, they don’t give a sht. Well until there are no fans left then they might.
That's some awfully unhelpful hyperbole there.

Unless you could get a minimum 3-4 other rep games on the three weekends in question, the distinct lack of footy would arguably see a massive drop in interest in the comp.

I'd be interested to see how Super Rugby's international break plays with their attendance and viewership, because that's essentially what we'd be doing. Free kick to the AFL n all that

TheFrog

Coach
Tv won’t lose any games, they will add more content to the year.

TV partners wouldn't have a bar of it, players going without a game mid-season for a month is just ridiculous, fans of the game would whinge. It would be like round 1 again in the middle of the season after a 4 week break.

Latest posts