What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

Billythekid

First Grade
This would be the perfect weekend to start the rep period and have a break from the NRL. Everyone loses interest in the games during origin and crowds and ratings suffer. Not only that but the apathy can extend until after the origin period as well. Not only is everyone more interested in origin but pretty much all the teams are understength making the games uninteresting and in a lot of cases pointless.

In a way I hope the crowds continue to be absolutely shithouse to send a message to the NRL.

Jamberoo

Juniors
That is a Sydney/Melbourne thing more so than a RL/AFL thing. Applies more broadly to all spectator sport really.
It’s a combination of both. How else do you explain the Swans membership and crowds? What % of Sydneysiders prefer AFL over NRL? Somewhere between 5% and 10%?

Also, might the NRL move towards playing all SOO games on bye weekend? If not surely SOO season is the time for any games in country/expansion areas? Bathurst, Cairnes, Hobart, Albury, Wagga, Darwin, etc, etc.

Raiderdave

First Grade
It’s a combination of both. How else do you explain the Swans membership and crowds? What % of Sydneysiders prefer AFL over NRL? Somewhere between 5% and 10%?

Also, might the NRL move towards playing all SOO games on bye weekend? If not surely SOO season is the time for any games in country/expansion areas? Bathurst, Cairnes, Hobart, Albury, Wagga, Darwin, etc, etc.

10% ?
hahahahaha
are you mad ?, that's 500K

it'd barely be 2%
& that number has barely changed in 35 years , its just the population has grown in that time & more ex pats have moved north.

El Diablo

Post Whore

Victorian alert

hutch

First Grade
This would be the perfect weekend to start the rep period and have a break from the NRL. Everyone loses interest in the games during origin and crowds and ratings suffer. Not only that but the apathy can extend until after the origin period as well. Not only is everyone more interested in origin but pretty much all the teams are understength making the games uninteresting and in a lot of cases pointless.

In a way I hope the crowds continue to be absolutely shithouse to send a message to the NRL.

I don’t think the nrl care unfortunately. A mid season rep break with origin and rep/test series is a no brainer and would be massive for the game. What’s holding them back?

Billythekid

First Grade
I don’t think the nrl care unfortunately. A mid season rep break with origin and rep/test series is a no brainer and would be massive for the game. What’s holding them back?

I think they're just scared of anything that has a remote chance of impacting their golden egg SOO. If anything I think a rep period would benefit with SOO but obviously they're not convinced.

Perth Red

Post Whore

A little thing called the tv contract! Missed the boat again so we’ve got another 4 yearsof this sht until the next deal, but dont hold your breath that the nrl really gives two fcks about the fans attendiing games.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think they're just scared of anything that has a remote chance of impacting their golden egg SOO. If anything I think a rep period would benefit with SOO but obviously they're not convinced.

Looking at the massive whinge they are having about the Denver test I think that’s pretty obvious.

Jamberoo

Juniors
10% ?
hahahahaha
are you mad ?, that's 500K

it'd barely be 2%
& that number has barely changed in 35 years , its just the population has grown in that time & more ex pats have moved north.
2%? So, that is 100k. That means. 30% of Swans fans go each week. And more than 50% are members. Impressive. Victorians don’t change teams so ex pats moving north would have minimal impact on the Swans figures.
A serious question - is the 2% about right? Would seem low to me. In Melbourne I reckon it would be AFL 94% RL 4% RU 2%, based on crowds, membership and anacdotal evidence.
What would Sydney be? how does RU compare to RL? What about Brisbane?

Perth Red

Post Whore
2%? So, that is 100k. That means. 30% of Swans fans go each week. And more than 50% are members. Impressive. Victorians don’t change teams so ex pats moving north would have minimal impact on the Swans figures.
A serious question - is the 2% about right? Would seem low to me. In Melbourne I reckon it would be AFL 94% RL 4% RU 2%, based on crowds, membership and anacdotal evidence.

Well Sydney tv audience is about 500k, most clubs have less than 20k members and less than 15k paying fans generally. It seems there are a lot less people in Sydney who follow sport? Population is around 5.6mill so there’s probably about 20% tops who follow nrl in any meaningful way.

beave

Coach

Well victorians moving to sydney aren’t going to change teams, but they’ll still go to the SCG for their fortnightly fix of bogger action with fellow like minded stick insect lovers.

TheFrog

Coach
If you are suggesting holding the Origin series on three successive standalone weekends, meaning most players don't lace on a boot in anger for a month, in the middle of the season, I don't think it will work for reasons that must be exceedingly obvious.

Perth Red

Post Whore
There is an argument players hav
If you are suggesting holding the Origin series on three successive standalone weekends, meaning most players don't lace on a boot in anger for a month, in the middle of the season, I don't think it will work for reasons that must be exceedingly obvious.

There is an argument Taking a break, recovering from niggly injuries, have a psychological freshen up by repping for your country/state etc will make the second half of season higher quality.

TheFrog

Coach
There is an argument Taking a break, recovering from niggly injuries, have a psychological freshen up by repping for your country/state etc will make the second half of season higher quality.

Two weeks good, four weeks bad. Not to mention (but I will) that the TV pardners would never ever ever countenance it, and it is they that largely fund the game.

Latest posts