What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

taipan

Referee
'Taking a bit of licence' doesn't help the debate. I think there are mitigating circumstances too - the Dragons' sliding form being one obvious one.

The reason you brought it up was to illustrate how ticket sales were impacted by cost of living, which directly contradicted by the fact it sold out. I agree about members not turning up being annoying, but that's not the point you were making initially.

Didn't realise the debate collapsed because ,I cited a guess figure on Dragon's fans.Dragon's form certainly doesn't help,but as I stated they come in numbers at Jubilee and WIN.

Not really.I asked the question(not a statement of fact) is it people tightening their wallets.Remembering we are discussing Sydney's crowd problems.Sydney's housing is dearer than Melbourne I believe.
People are leaving Sydney according to data, due to the cost of living.

The fact I brought up traffic issues, question whether it is to do with people's' pockets is relevant.Eels and Dogs performances don't help.Neither does ANZ.

I can't see a contradiction ,when an AFL fan stated he was disappointed it was not full.I didn't watch their game, I have zero idea as to the number of members who attended.It was a huge crowd nonetheless.

What I do know the NRL has regular wins rating wise on Fox.

It crowd issues appears to be a combination of many factors, many factors that do not appear to affect Vic crowds,plus their obsessive devotion to their code in numbers.
New stadium at Parra and hopefully new SFS and a reconfigured ANZ should impact a growth in crowds.

taipan

Referee
Those Sydney members will be replaced instantly with members in new markets & those new members unlike Sydneysiders , may also actually get off their asses & attend games
Brisbane don't get 23K on Glorious sunday afternoons … they get 40K

Sydney isn't fixable
lets stop trying

Good luck with that.Lose X here and gain X minus there.Sounds about right.The old armchair general technique.

I said Brisbane on occasions get around 23,000.How many glorious Sunday afternoons do clubs get under the current scheduling?
So far this year 1 game over 40,000 v the Cowboys.
v Dogs 22,225
v Eels 21,555
v Sharks 22,859

If Sydney isn't fixable, says little for Canberra who struggle with crowds.Adelaide is a good fit for your mob.
Are you suggesting the new Parramatta stadium is not going to have an impact?

Last edited:

unforgiven

Bench
it won't chicken little & if we continue to believe theres a solution to the " Sydney problem "
there'll be no game to kill

Chicken Little lol, you are the one that comes in here after every Sydney game claiming the sky is falling, you are up with the most negative posters on this forum

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
The NRL's crowd problem can be summed up pretty easily- they can't compete with the competition in the entertainment industry and to most people the experience at the field isn't worth the difference that it costs compared to watching the game at home...

Until there is something about attending a game that you can't get watching it at home and an NRL game can compete with other forms of entertainment value for money wise there'll always be a crowd problem.

It's not going to change soon either, the people in charge of the NRL and most of the clubs have neither the creativity nor the expertise (or connections) to implement any serious change in this regard.

And the only thing you don't get at home is atmosphere .. it's not that hard

People pay $25000 to travel to Liverpool to go to anfield ..

They could watch it on optus for $6

The Great Dane

First Grade
And the only thing you don't get at home is atmosphere .. it's not that hard

People pay $25000 to travel to Liverpool to go to anfield ..

They could watch it on optus for $6

I don't know what NRL games you are going to but at the ones I go to the atmosphere is laughable at best, especially compared to what I imagine the atmosphere is like at Anfield lol.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Chicken Little lol, you are the one that comes in here after every Sydney game claiming the sky is falling, you are up with the most negative posters on this forum
every Sydney game ??
no
just the ones that have no legitimate reason for not drawing a crowd & 90% of these are in Sydney
gee
anyone with half a brain would think theres a problem there hey

carcharias

Immortal
Let’s just see how the Raiders crowds go in the last two rounds
Both home games at the 2 most favoured time slots.
Both games against famous old Sydney clubs.
It’s not the middle of winter
No excuses
Membership is at its peak
They should get at least 17-18k to both .

Last edited:

Raiderdave

First Grade
Let’s just see how the Raiders crowds go in the last two rounds
Both home games at the 2 most favoured time slots.
Both games against famous old Sydney clubs.
It’s not the middle of winter
No excuses
Membership is at its peak
They should get at least 17-18k to both .

Straight back at ya
Your mob
Shooting for a top 4 spot no less
A traditional rival.. 2GFs against them
A sunny Sunday & 23c expected

If 18K don't turn up
I shall comma knocking :wink:

greenBV4

Bench
The afl averaged bigger crowds in 1998 than they do now

I think as someone said earlier that this is because of clubs like GWS and GC, crowds at the MCG could be the highest ever

Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 9.21.32 am.png
Even though when compared to other clubs the Sydney crowds aren't that bad, they should be better, especially for big Syd v Syd games, and definitely for Syd v Syd top 4 games.

No one down here would expect Adelaide, Perth or Sydney to out draw Melbourne in the AFL, because it is clear that it is the biggest market, sadly the same can't be said for Sydney in the NRL

When I tried to get my mates to watch a game on TV last week, the first thing they said was "why is there noone there?" All I could think of to say was "because it's in Sydney"

carcharias

Immortal
Straight back at ya
Your mob
Shooting for a top 4 spot no less
A traditional rival.. 2GFs against them
A sunny Sunday & 23c expected

If 18K don't turn up
I shall comma knocking :wink:

13 k is about right for us considering we only have 15k members
You blokes with 20k should get 18k

That is how it works apparently.