What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

The Great Dane

First Grade
So, the Dallas Cowboys are worth 4.8 billion dollars, they have a bit more money to spend on the game day experience than NRL clubs or the NRL.

The NRL has issues with crowds. I won't dispute that. But comparing what happens in the US to what happens here is like apples and oranges.

No doubt, but that fact doesn't mean that NRL clubs should stumble along basically not spending a cent on the game day experience...

The NRL and the NRL clubs could learn a shit ton from the Yank about how to build and control atmosphere, and not just from the NFL, NBA, etc, but from large music acts, the WWE, etc as well, and there are a lot of the things that they could change that aren't outside of the reach of most of the NRL clubs.

ReddFelon

Juniors
So, the Dallas Cowboys are worth 4.8 billion dollars, they have a bit more money to spend on the game day experience than NRL clubs or the NRL.

The NRL has issues with crowds. I won't dispute that. But comparing what happens in the US to what happens here is like apples and oranges.

But the college teams aren't, you can go to college games for division 3 teams and they still put on a better game day experience. Even simple stuff like food trucks, free umbrellas when it rains etc. Comparing them on a financial level isn't fair, but it's not like organisations can't put in more effort to getting people to go, as it stands most games are quite literally; show up, watch game, leave. That's not got a single thing enticing the average person to leave home or a bar to go and watch it in the stadium. They've got to try something, the Bulldogs had a decent idea at the Perth double header, 15,000 free Wicked Sister desserts. Clubs could look into that, make it part of the sponsor agreements.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The Beer, Food and footy festival at Henson Park last weekend was a better game day experience than anything I've seen at a top grade game in a few years. If a NSW Cup side can do that, why can't the top sides?

carcharias

Immortal
The Beer, Food and footy festival at Henson Park last weekend was a better game day experience than anything I've seen at a top grade game in a few years. If a NSW Cup side can do that, why can't the top sides?
Well firstly beer companies have contracts with the footy grounds.
That’s why you only have small selection.
It’s already a punish selling beer at the footy with all the licensing issues.
So getting a bunch of small breweries in to set up taps would probably be a nightmare to get permission for.
As for food
I can’t speak for other grounds but Shark park has a pretty good mix of food on game day.
There is your big standard hot food shop but there is also a few food truck type things.

So yeah
It would be nice but the big beer boys wouldn’t let it happen.

American sports of all levels - the NRL will never compete

The usual issues are a problem - cost, transport etc. But two small things at last nights game reminded me why I should just watch at home. The security getting in and getting hassled to show you ticket each time you leave your seat. And a security guard yelling at someone for putting thier feet on the seats. People are over rubbish like this - you dont deal with that at home

DC_fan

Coach

The Cowboys are also the only NFL team that plays out of Dallas, and only one of two who are situated in a Texas. These factors help a lot.

TheFrog

Coach
as it stands most games are quite literally; show up, watch game, leave.
How about show up, watch 3 games, leave, like they do at Penrith (sometimes).

So getting a bunch of small breweries in to set up taps would probably be a nightmare to get permission for.

Not only that, but the NRL promoting alcohol consumption at games would be seized upon in mainstream and social media. Newtown will only get away with it so long as there isn't trouble.

I can’t speak for other grounds but Shark park has a pretty good mix of food on game day.
There is your big standard hot food shop but there is also a few food truck type things.

Yeah, shark park probably sets the standard for food from the grounds I've been to.

There's some pretty bleak game day food experiences around.

VictoryFC

Bench

US has 53 cities with metro populations of over a million, is the richest nation on earth, and most cities have one club to all follow.

It is these small details that people like to overlook when trying to bring up how other countries should learn from the nfl.

if people want to imagine what it would be like to replicate that over here, just imagine the blues and maroons as clubs in a league, and you get a better comparison....and one that shows we could do it just as good as them given the same circumstances.

Raiderdave

First Grade
The Red River Showdown sold out 92,000 tickets two months before game day, traditional rivalry game between Oklahoma State and Texas University. They schedule the game alongside the Texas State Fair and allow access for State Fair attendees in General Admission with their Fair ticket.

Should the NRL not look at cross promotion like this during the Easter Show weekend? US sports are better than anyone at getting people to turn up. The NHL typically plays in 15-20,000 seater indoor stadiums. Three games a year in the winter are held in outdoor football stadiums and pull 30-50,000. Whether you like the individual sports is irrelevant, the way they market them, draw crowds and make the experience enjoyable is second to none.

I went to the Dallas Cowboys vs Washington Redskins game in 2016, had a concert, cheap alcohol, guys brining your food and drink to your seats, tickets cost less. All of this stuff is organised well in advance. No reason the NRL can't do the same sort of thing.

300 million extra potential fans in Australia & we wouldn't be talking about poor attendances in the NRL