What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

Billythekid

First Grade
Bloke on tv commentating jets and panthers just said should have been 55k

Ha

How many do you think on a Friday night at a ground nowhere near where either team fans come from?

Since when is Friday night a bad timeslot? There is plenty of time to get to the game on a Friday.

The last point we can argue till we're blue in the face. It's not that far to travel to Allianz for a once a year event.

Truth is if the event is worthwhile fans show up. SOO, GF's, derbies involving popular Sydney teams, wallabies matches, Socceroos matches, kangaroos matches, wanderers vs Sydney FC, swans matches, NFL/college matches, any popular live artist like pink etc. There is an endless list of events which draw massive crowds in Sydney because they're seen as events worth attending.

Everyone knows the sharks and panthers have shit fan bases and the crowd and atmosphere will be terrible. That's why people can't be bothered going. Who wants to sit in a half
Empty stadium?

carcharias

Immortal
25K?

Let’s not go crazy, this is the Sharks and Penrith we’re talking about it. 21,000 would be ambitious for them.

I went last weekend and it cost a bloody fortune.

I can understand why people don’t go.
1) it is very expensive
2) travel is shit
ie parking is $25 for a club game out there so I reckon finals is probably more.
Train - is ok but you still have a bloody long walk.
Imagine people with young kids doing that and then going home at 10 pm.
3) it is on too late for kids to go.

Not to mention pissed f**kwits everywhere

carcharias

Immortal
Since when is Friday night a bad timeslot? There is plenty of time to get to the game on a Friday.

The last point we can argue till we're blue in the face. It's not that far to travel to Allianz for a once a year event.

Truth is if the event is worthwhile fans show up. SOO, GF's, derbies involving popular Sydney teams, wallabies matches, Socceroos matches, kangaroos matches, wanderers vs Sydney FC, swans matches, NFL/college matches, any popular live artist like pink etc. There is an endless list of events which draw massive crowds in Sydney because they're seen as events worth attending.

Everyone knows the sharks and panthers have shit fan bases and the crowd and atmosphere will be terrible. That's why people can't be bothered going. Who wants to sit in a half
Empty stadium?

Imagine if you live in Penrith
Work in town
Go home get your kids then go all the way back again.

You’d be lucky to make it back before half time

Billythekid

First Grade
I went last weekend and it cost a bloody fortune.

I can understand why people don’t go.
1) it is very expensive
2) travel is shit
ie parking is $25 for a club game out there so I reckon finals is probably more.
Train - is ok but you still have a bloody long walk.
Imagine people with young kids doing that and then going home at 10 pm.
3) it is on too late for kids to go.

Not to mention pissed f**kwits everywhere

Tickets are pretty cheap considering it's a finals match.

Oh noes a long walk from the train station. How can anyone from outside Sydney possibly empathise with such a terrible burden?

Oh the usual finishes too late argument. Doesn't seem to affect the AFL who's games go for an hour longer than hours and often finish later.

Oh but I forgot the NRL is a special snowflake and these problems only affect our fans.

Imagine if you live in Penrith
Work in town
Go home get your kids then go all the way back again.

You’d be lucky to make it back before half time

I currently live in Scone and have to travel 2 hours just to see any NRL matches. Much like fans from NQLD I find it hilarious seeing people from Sydney lecture everyone else because they have to travel SO far. Give me a break.

carcharias

Immortal
Tickets are pretty cheap considering it's a finals match.

Oh noes a long walk from the train station. How can anyone from outside Sydney possibly empathise with such a terrible burden?

Oh the usual finishes too late argument. Doesn't seem to affect the AFL who's games go for an hour longer than hours and often finish later.

Oh but I forgot the NRL is a special snowflake and these problems only affect our fans.

I currently live in Scone and have to travel 2 hours just to see any NRL matches. Much like fans from NQLD I find it hilarious seeing people from Sydney lecture everyone else because they have to travel SO far. Give me a break.
It’s not cheap
Food is astronomical
Drink is a f**king rip off

Long walk if you have a family with you.
Longer walk home among pissed up f**kers in the dark.

Good for you.
You choose to live in scone.
Did you go last night?

Maroons

Juniors
It’s not cheap
Food is astronomical

Good for you.
Did you go last night?

How about you have dinner before the game if its so expensive. There's an idea.

Billythekid

First Grade
It’s not cheap
Food is astronomical

Good for you.
Did you go last night?

The game starts at like 8pm. Why do you need to get food at the game? Likewise I don't really see the need to buy drinks at the game. Have a few before or after.

Did I go last night? No i worked night shift in an emergency department. I also live about 5 hours from the stadium and don't support either side. So no I didn't make the game.

carcharias

Immortal
The game starts at like 8pm. Why do you need to get food at the game? Likewise I don't really see the need to buy drinks at the game. Have a few before or after.

Did I go last night? No i worked night shift in an emergency department. I also live about 5 hours from the stadium and don't support either side. So no I didn't make the game.

My wife worked last night
I had to mind my kids...so I didn’t go.
I’m not taking in there at night that late.
They’re too young.
Plenty of other people in my situation and yours.

phonetic

Juniors
Enough about little brother last night... It's looking bloody good for tonight. Levels 1 and 4 pretty much gone.

Surely we can crack 50k with a decent walk up.

azza29

Juniors
Sydney fans are hilarious, game could be held next door and they’d figure out an excuse not to turn up. 19k for a knockout final featuring two local teams is a sad state of affairs indeed.

jim_57

Staff member
Ladies and gents,
The Sydney Rugby League Fan.

To be fair to carch here they are legitimate complaints from people in his situation. Life doesn't revolve around Rugby League and people can't just drop family commitments.

The problem with the crowd last night isn't people with legitimate reasons not attending. The problem is that there would be enough people in Sydney without any of those constraints to fill the stadium 10 times over, yet the game wasn't seen as enough of a draw or wasn't promoted well enough to get any more than the 19k that attended.

The strategy for these games shouldn't be trying to guilt people to drop family/personal commitments, it should be to make the game where people without those commitments/problems want to be on a Friday night. If people don't want to be there they won't, no amount of goading over "excuses" will change that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I can’t see 25k more
Sooks in here reckon nothing short of a sold out stadium will do.

Stop the hyperbole, no one is saying the crowd should have sold out, 25k ish would have been respectable, under 20k is sht house. If those clubs really only have 10k and 9k fans who give a sht enough about them to turn out for a sudden death finals game then expect a whinge.

I wonder if there is any other Sydney sports club outside the nrl ones who would only get 10k turning out for a finals game?

carcharias

Immortal
Sydney fans are hilarious, game could be held next door and they’d figure out an excuse not to turn up. 19k for a knockout final featuring two local teams is a sad state of affairs indeed.
Local?

The two teams are about as far from each other as you can be in Sydney playing at a joint nowhere near either

17 k in melb last week

carcharias

Immortal
Stop the hyperbole, no one is saying the crowd should have sold out, 25k ish would have been respectable, under 20k is sht house. If those clubs really only have 10k and 9k fans who give a sht enough about them to turn out for a sudden death finals game then expect a whinge.

I wonder if there is any other Sydney sports club outside the nrl ones who would only get 10k turning out for a finals game?

Ha

Guess you’ll have to sit through it all again next week.
Hope it really upsets you

Melb 17k
Ha
Worse than shithouse

Perth Red

Post Whore
perth red will be in meltdown next friday if cronulla beat melbourne

Not going to happen, well maybe given chambers will be back! Not meltdown but pssed big time. That’s the beauty of sport great to have a team to dislike and see as a rival. Makes winning sweeter and losing harder.