What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Trials

GongPanther

Referee
I just think we risked more than we gained. Especially for a nothing trial. Meanwhile outside of this forum we are now the joke of the league.

I sure the gain was to match harden us up a bit defensively. Whether they beat us or not,I don't think it was in our minds to stretch ourselves to stop them at any expense in scoring tries.

If it wasn't what would have it been? To go all-in hard against a bunch of try hards who were punching above their weight? Certainly would have been too risky injury wise.

OldPanther

Coach
Not sure what the processes or penalties are for mass changes to a named team, let alone the logistics of standing down the majority of FG and the impact that has on the lower grades.

I'm thinking by Wednesday it was already too late to change the squad.

Certainly couldn't change the team by that point but they clearly jad some intention naming them in the first place.

GongPanther

Referee
This post pisses me off because I'm a big Peachey fan but he seems to be degrading. Don't know if it's the Gold Coast stuff but he's getting really bad. Poor defence and running sideways.
Or hopefully just a bad day at the office. He was the only Panther to have had an ordinary day at Belmore.

OldPanther

Coach
I sure the gain was to match harden us up a bit defensively. Whether they beat us or not,I don't think it was in our minds to stretch ourselves to stop them at any expense in scoring tries.

If it wasn't what would have it been? To go all-in hard against a bunch of try hards who were punching above their weight? Certainly would have been too risky injury wise.

Well I hope the defence is better for it than because it was terrible tonight.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Because we should either get some benifit or not risk our best players. The other option is select fringe players.

Panthers did the right appropriate thing and names their team on Tuesday. Dags didn't name their team till mid Wednesday. (I thought all teams had to be named on Tuesday)

GongPanther

Referee
FWIW, I think we got caught out on Wednesday. We named a full strength team on Tuesday only to find out Bulldogs apparently couldn't give a shit about a full strength trial when they named their team on Wednesday.

From that point, the club may have thought that here was little to be gained from the trial other than no injuries.

Just a theory, I haven't seen any footage so not going to argue this is definitely what happened. It may be that we just as shit as MX has said (repeatedly :wink:)
The Dogs side were playing for their footballing lives for the top squad as the commentary were reminding us. The Panthers weren't as desperate.

OldPanther

Coach
Panthers did the right appropriate thing and names their team on Tuesday. Dags didn't name their team till mid Wednesday. (I thought all teams had to be named on Tuesday)

During the regular season but it might be different here. My point is if we didn't have some intention we should have done what the dogs did and name reserves. Their roster is really irrelevant. We either work on the things we need or not. Tonight they just seemed to want it to end so they could go home.

forby

Juniors
The Broncos beat the Hunters 26-12. The same team that our ISP thrashed last year. Does that mean Brisbane are s**t as well and can't make the 8?

mxlegend99

Referee
The Broncos beat the Hunters 26-12. The same team that our ISP thrashed last year. Does that mean Brisbane are s**t as well and can't make the 8?
Brisbane won... we lost.

How would that make them shit aswell? I see why Hook has so many defenders now. People dont understand the difference between winning and losing.

GongPanther

Referee
We get destroyed by a reserve grade side. After an off-season losing our best young juniors. Rumours the players are unhapy. Coach is on death row etc.

We name our strongest possible lineup. Bulldogs name their weakest and destroy us in every area of the game.

What did we gain from that? We risked our full strength lineup and gained nothing.

MX, when the comp starts,and if we are not pulling our weight after say 3-5 rounds,I'll be with you in sacking him. But until then,we as a club's fanbase have to show a little patience and not worry about rumours.

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
Didn't see the game so have to rely on reports and posts on here.
Sounds like we weren't really interested in playing a reserve grade team.
I was at last weeks game and I thought we looked good but this week it sounds like the Panthers of old. Poor defence and giving away penalties.
The coach says its not a problem.
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/24...griffin-not-concerned-by-sluggish-trial-form/
So after 2 trial games I am none the wiser as to how we will go this year.

Latest posts