What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 championship & league one..

Perth Tiger

Bench
Widnes can't be in the pyramid without the licence, so there's not really much different between the 2 options.
Fair enough then, although surely it wouldn't be to hard for the RFL to be a bit flexible to ensure Widnes can still be represented.

Although I know that would cause screams of outrage from some of the other clubs.

adamkungl

Immortal
Fair enough then, although surely it wouldn't be to hard for the RFL to be a bit flexible to ensure Widnes can still be represented.

Although I know that would cause screams of outrage from some of the other clubs.

There's a spare licence where Hemel used to be. Apparently Eric Perez is trying to buy it to set up a 2nd Canadian side in Hamilton.
Idk if a 2nd Canadian side in what appears to be Toronto's version of Parramatta is the right move

On a side note, non-RFL funded foreign sides really shouldn't take up a licence. The amount of licences should be dictated by the amount of UK clubs the RFL can afford to give a funding grant to. A self funded side out of Canada, USA, or France puts no cost on the RFL, so they shouldn't be limited in such a way.
There are other reasons to limit them but this is one that shouldn't apply.

deluded pom?

Coach

The RFL recently knocked back an application to join the league from Manchester Rangers because of the high proximity of other teams in the area. It would be a bit hypocritical to then allow the Widnes licence to be sold and then admit a new Widnes based team into the system.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Seems every year, another club faces this plight. Bradford, I know Sheffield had issues, Leigh had issues last year. You have to wonder what the problem/s is/are.

deluded pom?

Coach
Seems every year, another club faces this plight. Bradford, I know Sheffield had issues, Leigh had issues last year. You have to wonder what the problem/s is/are.
As adamkungl has already pointed out in an earlier post, it's a simple case of poor economics. Clubs get into trouble because they spend more money than they generate.

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
So what are the practical implications

Just read a statement from the RFL that states they are aware of the situation but will the players get paid as I suspect that most of them will bail out on the club in coming weeks, Super League 2018 AND INSOLVENT in 2019..............

deluded pom?

Coach
Ironically the Manchester Rangers team I mentioned earlier were asked to put up a bond of (yes you’ve guessed it) £500,000 even if they were refused entry. This was to allegedly cover players’ wages etc in the event of the club failing.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Just read a statement from the RFL that states they are aware of the situation but will the players get paid as I suspect that most of them will bail out on the club in coming weeks, Super League 2018 AND INSOLVENT in 2019..............
When he says practical implications I imagine he means what happens to the competition - does every team scheduled to play Widnes get a bye and they just drop out for the season? What does it mean for the relegation spot, does that change? And what about Fax and Toulouse who both lost to Widnes in the opening fortnight, do they get the points back?

deluded pom?

Coach
When he says practical implications I imagine he means what happens to the competition - does every team scheduled to play Widnes get a bye and they just drop out for the season? What does it mean for the relegation spot, does that change? And what about Fax and Toulouse who both lost to Widnes in the opening fortnight, do they get the points back?
If Widnes do fold usually they expunge all previous games involving the team that goes. That means that anyone who beat them will lose two points and those who lost to them will simply lose one game from the played column and all points differences will be adjusted accordingly.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
If Widnes do fold usually they expunge all previous games involving the team that goes. That means that anyone who beat them will lose two points and those who lost to them will simply lose one game from the played column and all points differences will be adjusted accordingly.
Does that also mean no bye points for those who are fixtured against them for the rest of the season

Tigers1986

Juniors
Whether they stay in or not, you'd have to suggest that relegation from the Championship is now moot, unless Widnes can turn it around on field. Prior to the Toronto game, they looked great.

Would the RFL take on the players and staff wages in order to maintain the fixtures? Terrible in a way that in only 4 weeks of a season you have a team potentially unable to finish the season.

deluded pom?

Coach
Whether they stay in or not, you'd have to suggest that relegation from the Championship is now moot, unless Widnes can turn it around on field. Prior to the Toronto game, they looked great.

Would the RFL take on the players and staff wages in order to maintain the fixtures? Terrible in a way that in only 4 weeks of a season you have a team potentially unable to finish the season.
This, for me, is a huge can of worms. The RFL have helped others previously but have also left other clubs to their own destiny. You either help everyone or you help no-one. You can’t mix and match as and when you like.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
following on from the failures of Hemel, Oxford and Gloucestershire etc and the constant struggles of Coventry and the skolars the RFL should only seriously consider expansion into the untapped areas of the north i.e Manchester and Liverpool and maybe at a future date further south into Nottingham for the lower leagues.

All potential new bids must also pass strict criteria demands such as long term ground security and financial backing along with concrete grassroots RL development in the form of a schools program and academy setup.

Pommy

Coach
Would the potential demise of Widnes help and hinder the Liverpool bid for inclusion into league 1??

Is there actually a bid? Or has that crackers Palestinian just been playing on his computer making a strip and copying Liverpool’s crest? It all seems very pie in the sky to be honest.