What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 College Football Season

Valheru

Coach
Oklahoma goes down to Kansas State. That really opens things up for Notre Dame, Oregon and Utah

T-Boon

Coach
Last I saw Texas was behind as well.
Big 12 just don't play defense.
OSU is clearly best team in the country at the moment (while Tua is out injured).

T-Boon

Coach
Yikes, the Irish are getting curb stomped by Michigan. ND are just not very talented.

Valheru

Coach
Oregon barely hold on to their playoff hopes by beating WSU as time expires.

I think a 2 loss SEC team will be chosen in front of them.

jaseg

Juniors
Oregon have no chance at the playoffs, let's be honest. Good thing too - I had to switch that game off.

It's out of:
Alabama
LSU
Georgia
Ohio State
Clemson
Minnesota (If they can win the Big Ten undefeated)
Penn State (same as Minnesota)

Oklahoma would be in front of Oregon, too - and they're almost certainly done at this point.

edit - added Penn State

Last edited:

Valheru

Coach
Oregon have no chance at the playoffs, let's be honest. Good thing too - I had to switch that game off.

It's out of:
Alabama
LSU
Georgia
Ohio State
Clemson
Minnesota (If they can win the Big Ten undefeated)
Penn State (same as Minnesota)

Oklahoma would be in front of Oregon, too - and they're almost certainly done at this point.

edit - added Penn State

Well Oklahoma are not in front on Oregon according to the latest AP poll. Oregon's sole loss against auburn is far better than Oklahoma against K-state.

Still, I have no doubt the loser of the bama/LSU game will get in ahead of Oregon even if they remain at 1 loss winning the Pac-12.

The sooner they go to an 8 team playoff consisting of the 5 power conference winners, the highest ranked group of 5 team plus 2 other wildcards the better.

That would allow all conference winners plus the Boise states of the world a crack every year. The love fest for the SEC could continue with one of the wild cards no doubt perpetually going to them and then that leaves one true wild card.

jaseg

Juniors
Well Oklahoma are not in front on Oregon according to the latest AP poll. Oregon's sole loss against auburn is far better than Oklahoma against K-state.

Still, I have no doubt the loser of the bama/LSU game will get in ahead of Oregon even if they remain at 1 loss winning the Pac-12.

The sooner they go to an 8 team playoff consisting of the 5 power conference winners, the highest ranked group of 5 team plus 2 other wildcards the better.

That would allow all conference winners plus the Boise states of the world a crack every year. The love fest for the SEC could continue with one of the wild cards no doubt perpetually going to them and then that leaves one true wild card.

Definitely agree on the 8 team playoff. I would have liked to have seen the Boise State or UCF teams of recent years get their shot, and the Power 5 champions should all be involved.

That AP poll is... not great. Put Oregon and Oklahoma in a match next week, even in Oregon... is anyone really taking the Ducks? I see they have Florida at 6 also... I've watched them twice and both times they looked like a bad team - perhaps both were before the QB change though? Definitely one (Miami, that f**king game lost me a decent bet), can't remember the other. I guess we'll see on that one next weekend, when the Eastern SEC is decided.

Anyway, I don't really think Oregon or Oklahoma are any realistic shot now. Most likely Bama/LSU/Buckeyes/Clemson, with outside chances of Georgia (if they win the SEC championship) or either Penn State/Minnesota if they can upset Ohio State for the Big Ten championship.

T-Boon

Coach
I hope they leave it at 4 teams. 12 games means you cannot lose any game and it makes it so tense.

The system got it right last year. Georgia felt aggrieved but they had their chance and lost to Bama who got beat heavily in the final. I think Georgia also lost their bowl game. Plus Georgia have shown this year they aren't that good.
Oregon lost to Auburn so they aren't good enough. Oklahoma lost to Kansas State so they are done. ND were already done after the Georgia loss.
Anyway that just my opinion.

This weekend number 1 LSU v 2 Bama. Last time I got hyped about these two playing Leonard Fournette was supposed to be the best footballer in the country and Bama held him to about 20 yards and they went nowhere. Hard to say that will happen again because the LSU offense is different and the Bama defense is not as great as it has been.

I am going to pick LSU.

Valheru

Coach
I hope they leave it at 4 teams. 12 games means you cannot lose any game and it makes it so tense.

The system got it right last year. Georgia felt aggrieved but they had their chance and lost to Bama who got beat heavily in the final. I think Georgia also lost their bowl game. Plus Georgia have shown this year they aren't that good.
Oregon lost to Auburn so they aren't good enough. Oklahoma lost to Kansas State so they are done. ND were already done after the Georgia loss.
Anyway that just my opinion.

This weekend number 1 LSU v 2 Bama. Last time I got hyped about these two playing Leonard Fournette was supposed to be the best footballer in the country and Bama held him to about 20 yards and they went nowhere. Hard to say that will happen again because the LSU offense is different and the Bama defense is not as great as it has been.

I am going to pick LSU.

The problem with the one and done mentality for teams like Oregon, Oklahoma, Boise St ect. is that it never extends to the SEC who ALWAYS get the benefit of the doubt when 1 loss teams are compared.

What is the point of having a power 5 conference system if the champions don't have a chance to win the national title?

Also, 1v2 is next week, they both have an off week this coming week.

The whole system seems to be designed to be open to interpretation, and thus graft and corruption.

Horse shit to the highest.

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
The problem with the one and done mentality for teams like Oregon, Oklahoma, Boise St ect. is that it never extends to the SEC who ALWAYS get the benefit of the doubt when 1 loss teams are compared.

I think Oklahoma can still make it in but Oregon lost to Auburn so they lost to an SEC team. Which feeds into the perception that the SEC teams are superior and deserve more spots. They tend to win non conference games a lot which builds the conferences reputation up.
I don't really think Pac12 deserve a spot. It is terrible at the moment.

What is the point of having a power 5 conference system if the champions don't have a chance to win the national title?

The conferences have to exist because there's just too many teams. It makes sense to have the conferences based on geographic regions etc and for TV contracts. The history of the conferences would be pretty interesting.

T-Boon

Coach
Daniel Ricciardo is going to wear a Longhorns helmet at the Austin Grand Prix. Not a Lone Star. College football wins again.

Valheru

Coach
Big road wins by bith Oregon and Utah today. That will see both ranked in the top 10 come the first playoff rankings this week.

Keep in mind two of Ohio state, Penn state, LSU and Alabama will have at least one loss with no conference championship by seasons end.

If both Oregon and Utah run the table from here, I can't see how the winner of the conference championship doesn't get in. If they don't, may as well ditch the system.

Valheru

Coach
Interesting first CFP rankings for the seaosn and i think they ahve it right leaving Clemson out who have had the easiest schedule by far of any of the top teams.

LSU/Bama and OSU/Penn State play each other this week and next week respectively with the losers unlikely to even feature in their conference championship games.

Pac-12 remains the most interesting with the 7th and 8th ranked teams. If both win out then we will have a PAC-12 championship game featuring two top 8 teams at worse. Surely the winner of such a scenario cannot be denied a CFP spot.

Tom155

Coach
Penn State beaten by Minnesota, the nonsense of them being in the top 4 above Clemson didn't last long

Tom155

Coach
Bama easily down into the redzone and stall there ending up with nothing after Tua fumbles with no one near him

Last edited:

Latest posts