What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 NRL Draw

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
One year of a draw that is almost(but not quite) in line with the rest of the NRL is hardly going to change the perception of favouritism.
It's the most recent and there's no indication it's set to switch back to the old way. I have no doubt it was the case prior to this year but for now, it's the new normal.

I guess we'll find out on Thursday how serious the NRL are on it.

macavity

Referee
So the knights mix has been leaked to the herald

4 Friday
6 Saturday
2 Sunday

The club requests as many Sunday games as possible every year. Second year in a row of only 2 Sunday games.

Shafted again.

Reactions: Vee

Timmah

Staff member

4 Friday
6 Saturday
2 Sunday

The club requests as many Sunday games as possible every year. Second year in a row of only 2 Sunday games.

Shafted again.
8 of 12 home games on Saturday or Sunday. "shafted"

:thinking:

Timmah

Staff member
And yet, it's not.

This year's home game split was 5 Friday (four 6pm and 1 FTA), 5 Saturday and 2 Sunday.

Based on the Herald report, one of those Friday games appears to have moved to Saturday - that looks to be an improvement on this season.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The main improvement we can hope for this year is more “big” games in the best spots. Putting what should be strong drawing games on a thurs or 6pm fri is just stupid and nrl needs to dictate more in this area.

The solution to Friday 6pm is 8 warriors games, 6 other games in nz and 4 knights games with knights being supported to make tickets to those 4 games cheap and free to kids, but that would need the nrl to actually care about crowds and the game in nz.

Vic Mackey

Referee

4 Friday
6 Saturday
2 Sunday

Shafted again.

I get what you are saying however there’s only 2 Sunday games a week out of 8 games. There’s only so many to go around. I think you’ll find every club bar the Cowboys ask for Sundays. The Broncos say they prefer Sunday to friday yet have had something like 3 in 3 years. If the most powerful club in the game can’t get what they want from the draw the rest of us have buckleys.

Theknightsrule7

Juniors
The main improvement we can hope for this year is more “big” games in the best spots. Putting what should be strong drawing games on a thurs or 6pm fri is just stupid and nrl needs to dictate more in this area.

The solution to Friday 6pm is 8 warriors games, 6 other games in nz and 4 knights games with knights being supported to make tickets to those 4 games cheap and free to kids, but that would need the nrl to actually care about crowds and the game in nz.

Or the fans from other clubs could actually show up. Canberra are another team that get decent crowds at 6pm Friday though.

Timbo

Staff member
Or the fans from other clubs could actually show up. Canberra are another team that get decent crowds at 6pm Friday though.

Yeah, it’s still not ideal for us. Broadmeadow is a hell of a lot more accessible than Bruce.

I take your point though. I think it’s a garbage time slot, and if the NRL wants two Friday games they either need to be Auckland at home for the early match, or a 9pm game in Perth after the main one at 7pm.

Timmah

Staff member
I get what you are saying however there’s only 2 Sunday games a week out of 8 games. There’s only so many to go around. I think you’ll find every club bar the Cowboys ask for Sundays. The Broncos say they prefer Sunday to friday yet have had something like 3 in 3 years. If the most powerful club in the game can’t get what they want from the draw the rest of us have buckleys.
The other thing worth noting is that the NRL made no secret of the fact they were prioritising all-Sydney clashes in the draw for Sunday afternoon games, which has probably not helped with other clubs getting these slots. I think between them WT, Manly and the Roosters had nearly half the Sunday 4pm matches?

Valheru

Coach
There were 49 Sunday games in 2018. Keep in mind that at least 5 of those were Sunday night but let's assume they were all arvo, that would mean that all things being fair, each team would get 3 each.

So the Knights are under represented by 1.